I decided to do some heavy modding on my cheap 7 string, got tired of the neck and I decided to make it thinner I have a vernier caliper but i dont know how to read it!! so pls guys help me.

this the 2nd fret measure

12th fret measure

Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
Behringer GX212 (now works as head)
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
Last edited by Tenebrion at Feb 19, 2015,
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Looks like you just take the measurement from the center line in the window.

nice looking guitars in your facebook!! are u completly sure? about the measurements cause i have JS22-7 and its 20mm at the 3rd fret but mine feels a closer than that.... so i really dont know
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Looks like you just take the measurement from the center line in the window.

Not the case... I had to learn this in A-level physics but, regrettably, didn't... Thankfully, help exists on the internet. Most of it's for reading off inches but there's definitely information for using the metric scale somewhere - just google "how to read a vernier caliper". What I'd say right now (being too tired to trawl google) is that I'm 90% sure you use the lowest value mark on the sliding section - the higher marks exist to measure to more decimal places through some complex process that sadly exceeds my knowledge.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Most verniers read from the leftmost mark, so the top one reads 17.5-17.6 mm, the lower one 18.4-18.5 mm. You can convert that to inches by dividing by 25.4. I haven't figured out the inches, it seems to be in fractions, not decimals.

Just make sure that your vernier actually reads zero when closed - my cheapo doesn't.
Quote by Tony Done
Most verniers read from the leftmost mark, so the top one reads 17.5-17.6 mm, the lower one 18.4-18.5 mm. You can convert that to inches by dividing by 25.4. I haven't figured out the inches, it seems to be in fractions, not decimals.

Just make sure that your vernier actually reads zero when closed - my cheapo doesn't.

THANK YOU MAN !! SO MY GUITAR IS 17.5 and 18.4?
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass
The mark at the left below or above the central scale is your starting point. The 2 and 3 on the center scale are Centimeters. Start with the mark that is closest to the 1st mark on the lower scale, but not above it, which is 17mm in the top picture. I'm assuming you already know 10mm = 1cm.

Now count the lower scale to the right, and see which lines up best with a mark on the center scale. In the top picture that's #7 or 8 so 17.8 mm if you go with 8. Inches works similar, but I don't see a reference. So I don't know what fraction the inch scale is giving you for the vernier scale at the top section of the moving part. The top picture is just over 11/16, the longer mark to the left of the hole is the 1/2 inch mark. But I don't know if the vernier scale is giving you 32nds or 64ths or what. Looks like 32nds. So that would be 23/32 I think. 11x2 is 22, so 11/16 is 22/32, the closest mark lined up is the next one, so 23/32.

Vernier is tricky to read, I'm more familiar with the machinist ones that read thousandths. I had to use those a lot as a machinist, always had to stop and think, lots easier to use a micrometer.

Anyway start at the mark on the left of the moving part of the scale. Count to the mark immediately to the left of that first mark, in this case 17. Then count the marks on the moving part, for the fractions of a mm. So for the top picture, 17.7 or 17.8 mm depending on which one is actually closer to the mark above it on the moving scale. Doesn't matter what the top mark is it matches, ignore that, just the bottom one for the fractions. It's confusing till you do it a few times and get the hang of it. Mark at the left is the whole number, how many marks to the right to one that matches any mark on center scale, that's the fraction. Bottom row of marks is 10 marks, so each is 1/10 of one mm. Bottom picture, 18.5 or 18.6mm. I'd say 18.5, looks like 4 and 6 are slightly off center, harder to tell on the top picture.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Feb 19, 2015,
thanks all !!
Bugera 6262
Squier Showmaster
Richman Custom
Starfire 7
Ibanez EX
Agile Interceptor 725
JOYO JF 01
Kimaxe PJ Bass