Poll: Strat: With or Without Pickguard?
Poll Options
View poll results: Strat: With or Without Pickguard?
With
36 77%
Without
11 23%
Voters: 47.
Page 1 of 2
Eh... You can't remove the pickguard on a Strat.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
Eh... You can't remove the pickguard on a Strat.

Sure you can. You know those little screws around the edge?
On my American Strat, the pickups are actually attached to the pickguard. Removing the pickguard would turn it into a sweet acoustic.
Quote by KG6_Steven
On my American Strat, the pickups are actually attached to the pickguard. Removing the pickguard would turn it into a sweet acoustic.

So did you vote for the sweet acoustic or for the pickguarded electric version?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Standard Fender is routed on the front and has no cap or veneer.

who said anything about a standard strat ?? .... so click on the picture link I provided and tell me what you don't see
Quote by Fumble fingers
who said anything about a standard strat ?? .... so click on the picture link I provided and tell me what you don't see

Well, a Fender would be the type specimen for Strats. Don't fob your mutant copy off on me.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Fumble fingers
Fob copy my ass , it's from the man that bears the name

If you don't know what a type specimen is, you can always ask, or google it.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I prefer the SSS, front-rout and pickguard of the original Stratocaster.

It looks better (more classic :P ), it's more practical (easier to change the pickguard than polish scratches out of the finish) and it's easier to make pickup modifications if you feel so inclined.

With that said, if I'm putting humbucker in a Strat, I prefer single coil sized versions (for looks and sound) and HSH (/HHH/SSS) configuration. My number one is a 2008 American Standard Strat with Seymour Duncan JB Jr. pickups in a HSH-setup. Best sounding guitar ever. I'm not sold on the HSS-config, despite being common it to me feels too much like an awkward compromise where you often can not switch between the single coils and humbuckers mid-song due to the quite considerable output difference. I always end up using one or the other, basically turning the theoretical added tonal options into more restricted options instead.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Fumble fingers
Fob copy my ass , it's from the man that bears the name

But not the brand. To be a Stratocaster, it must be a Fender. That is what slapsymcdougal was saying.

Your G&L does look nice though.
i disagree. to be a stratocaster it must be a stratocaster. A body that is identical to a Fender Strat's and has single coils and the same electronics is still a Stratocaster, especially when it's made by the guy who invented the Stratocaster.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
i disagree. to be a stratocaster it must be a stratocaster. A body that is identical to a Fender Strat's and has single coils and the same electronics is still a Stratocaster, especially when it's made by the guy who invented the Stratocaster.

Fraid not, Stratocaster is a trademark owned by Fender; what G&L sell is a strat-type.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Fumble fingers
well I tried googling "Strat" like the OP and nothing comes up

Why would you google that, dumbass?

My post was clearly a suggestion to google "type specimen".
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Acϵ♠

So my HH Stratocaster isn't a Stratocaster since it has humbuckers even though it says it is on the headstock and Leo's G&L models are stratocasters even though there is no such name on them?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Why would you google that, dumbass?

My post was clearly a suggestion to google "type specimen".

hey dumb ass , know one ever said Fender standard or statocaster ... I did google moron and your picture came up ... do you ever cuss your mom out ???... you sound like a guy that would
Quote by Fumble fingers
hey dumb ass , know one ever said Fender standard or statocaster ... I did google moron and your picture came up ... do you ever cuss your mom out ???... you sound like a guy that would

Your mom said the same thing about you last night.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by Vampire_State

Do you think he got in trouble for ruining currency? i thought it was illegal to ruin coins and money.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Your mom said the same thing about you last night.

lol ... ... we must be two of a kind
ok without dealing with the semantics. if Fender offered a Strat without a pickguard that had a nice top i would love it. i've looked at Warmouth bodies that are routed SSS witgh no pickguard and have thought about odering one for partscaster. for plain color strats the pickguard looks better though.
in all seriousness , the dry cold climate I'm in right now you can't walk across the room with out shocking your self , and my pick guard guitars are terrible this time of year wich is why I brought up the no pick guard no pick guard static electricity problems ... the guitar picture link is not my guitar although I wouldn't mind owning it .... just my own expierence with them and I have both
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Fraid not, Stratocaster is a trademark owned by Fender; what G&L sell is a strat-type.

still a strat
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Jeffh40
So my HH Stratocaster isn't a Stratocaster since it has humbuckers even though it says it is on the headstock and Leo's G&L models are stratocasters even though there is no such name on them?

ok lol i think you know what a meant, obviously an hh strat is still a strat. the point is, a strat body is what makes it a strat for me.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

Quote by Acϵ♠
still a strat

I disagree.
A ESP Eclipse is not a Les Paul, it's an Eclipse. A Ferrari kitcar is not a Ferarri. A Rembrandt-like painting is not a Rembrandt...
Quote by n00bje
I disagree.
A ESP Eclipse is not a Les Paul, it's an Eclipse. A Ferrari kitcar is not a Ferarri. A Rembrandt-like painting is not a Rembrandt...

the Eclipse is ESP's version of a Gibson LP ......

if the kit looks like a Ferrari , sounds like a Ferarri you can bet your ass while he's driving down the road people are going to say " ohhh look at the Ferarri going down the road " even though it's not really a Ferarri

I have a 1986 G&L Broadcaster( telecaster to those that don't know G&L) signed in the neck pocket by Leo Fender himself , if I'm on stage pretty much everyone in the audience pretty much knows I'm playing a Tele regardless what the head stock says .... we could even argue that FMC after 1965 is only Fender by name since it's been sold quite a few times since , G&L is not really a copy since it comes from the men that made the first ones ..... how can Leo copy himself ??
Quote by Fumble fingers
the Eclipse is ESP's version of a Gibson LP ......

if the kit looks like a Ferrari , sounds like a Ferarri you can bet your ass while he's driving down the road people are going to say " ohhh look at the Ferarri going down the road " even though it's not really a Ferarri

I have a 1986 G&L Broadcaster( telecaster to those that don't know G&L) signed in the neck pocket by Leo Fender himself , if I'm on stage pretty much everyone in the audience pretty much knows I'm playing a Tele regardless what the head stock says .... we could even argue that FMC after 1965 is only Fender by name since it's been sold quite a few times since , G&L is not really a copy since it comes from the men that made the first ones ..... how can Leo copy himself ??
Yes, and they'll be wrong.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by n00bje
I disagree.

An eclipse is a different body than a Les Paul. Bad comparison.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
Bitches be Crazy.

I am also of the mind that a Stratocaster is only a Stratocaster if made by Fender and, as such, always has a pick guard. All tablet computers are not iPads, all vacuum cleaners are not Hovers, all plastic laminate is not Formica and a crock of .... kit cat that has a passing resemblence to a Ferrari is not a Ferrari, no matter how many people say it is.
geez guys can we get over the "stratocaster" thing or what. ok by legal definition a strat has to be made by fender to be called as such. we all know that Strat, Tele, Les Paul and SG have become generic terms for the shape. legally not correct but so what. i think we all know what was meant to begin with so this is kinda dumb at this point.
Fender, G&L, Yamaha Pacifica or any other stat style guitar, I like a pickguard. I like them on a Les Paul and I like them on my acoustics. They look nice and protect the guitar from scratches. All a matter of personal preference.
Quote by monwobobbo
geez guys can we get over the "stratocaster" thing or what. ok by legal definition a strat has to be made by fender to be called as such. we all know that Strat, Tele, Les Paul and SG have become generic terms for the shape. legally not correct but so what. i think we all know what was meant to begin with so this is kinda dumb at this point.

This is unfortunate really. IMO opinion only a Les Paul (Gibson or Epi) should be called a Les Paul, the rest should be called LP copies (for clones like Burny, Tokai, Greco etc) and "LP Like" or "LP Inspired" or Single Cut(away) for the "others". The use of trademarked names for guitars that are not those guitars is incorrect and seems to be driven by laziness.
Moving on.....
Page 1 of 2