I purchased a junkie Joyo power supply a couple years ago, and surprise, surprise, a month or two after I had been using it, it crapped out on me, and may have damaged some of my other pedals. Now, I bought a *Like New* MXR dc brick for $85. What made it "like new" was that the manager lost the box and all the cords that go along with it. I figure, I've got all the wires and everything from the Joyo, maybe I can make this work. I get home, start getting things set up, and I notice a couple sparks when I jolted (no pun intended) the MXR. I tried googling for an answer, but haven't really come up with anything. My theory is that there is something improperly grounded, whether it is the MXR Brick or the power supply itself. I haven't found another power supply to test my theory with. Any ideas, suggestions, concerns?

Video of what's happening
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Feb 20, 2015,
I would return it. For plenty of reasons, including the sparking. I had a JOYO supply, the power 2 one, and it was AWESOME, loved thelights, it was cheap, compact, but I THOUGHT there was a iso problem causing all this noise. It turned out to be a different problem in my chain that passed the original troubleshooting

Anyway, the power cable is to fragile. Especially for a touring musician pulling his pedal board out four times a day. I finally bit the bullet and went Voodoo over the DC brick SOLELY because of the power cable, I really couldn't be happier. All noise is gone now, both the random noise and the noise from a different part of my set up.

Really wish I could help with teh sparking problem, never seen that before.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Honestly, it was a bit of an impulse purchase. I was wanting either a Voodoo Labs or a T-Rex Fuel tank, but this was there, and cheap, you know?
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
I've been gigging with my Joyo power supply for quite some months now and it's actually worked great. Like Katsock said, though, the power cable is fragile. One of these days, when I can spare the dough, I'll probably get something that's isolated. Anyhow, you should definitely return the MXR. No power supply should be making sparks. Never mess around with anything that has to do with electricity and is faulty. I've gotten zapped twice at gigs, so now I'm very finicky that everything is properly wired and set up whenever I play.
Only twice? you obviously didn't gig much in the 60's and 70's....

I agree, send it back. When hooking up, make sure nothing is the wrong polarity. I made my own splitter, got a 1000mA wall wart, it works great but it took me 2 or 3 tries to get everything working, I kept reversing polarity here and there before I got it right. But no sparks...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I'd just return it because they charged you $85 for it. A proper power supply just to power the thing would cost you $20. I paid $90 with shipping for an "open-box" one that came with everything.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
+1 to a 1spot
+1 to returning it.
+1 for an isolated power supply.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
does this happen to all pedals or only with the big muff showed in the demo. Also, are you still using the power supply (the transformer etc...) that was supplied with the Joyo or was it supplied with the MXR?