Page 1 of 3
Some of my buddies have recently started a band in the guitarist's bedroom, and I go to their practices because I have nothing better to do. Anyway, they suck really bad. I tell them they are good because I don't want to hurt their feelings. But here's the thing.. They're about to make a Facebook page and start booking gigs.. I feel like you shouldn't tell your buddies their band sucks. But I really want to stop them before they go up on stage and embarrass themselves and me.. What's your opinion?
Ask others what they think. If you think they suck 'cause of style then probably best to keep your mouth shut, but if you think they aren't tight or are weak at their instruments then put it that way. Don't go and right out say, "hurrrr you guys suck so bad stop bein ******z". Critique them and see where it goes.
Nah man, you gotta be honest with your friends! Before they commit social suicide by sharing with facebook.

Maybe not tell them they 'suck', but just find one thing you like about them/at least 'close' to being decent, and then lay them out the list on why they fail.

Do they have any songs up online?
don't tell them. let them learn on their own. don't be the one to crush their dreams.

who knows though, they might be well liked one day.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Depends. do you hate them because your an asshole?
You said you dont play guitar, so how can you know if they are any good?

don't tell them. let them do whatever they want.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Why don't you ditch them, and then order them rubbish pizza?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Oh hey, I remember you. Haven't seen you in a while. It's been like a whole 10 hours.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If they're just really sloppy players and seem like they need more practice I would tell them that they don't seem ready yet and that they should keep practicing for a while. If I just thought the style of music sucks I'd nicely let them know it's not really my style, but I wouldn't try to stop them from sharing it with the world if that's what they want to do.
I thought you were leaving?

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Book them a fake gig 2 hours away so they have to spend a ton of money on gas.

Then act like they deserved it and you were "taking back what's yours"
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
There's nothing wrong with telling your friends you don't like their music. But holy shit-

Quote by APileOfDeadCops
But I really want to stop them before they go up on stage and embarrass themselves and me.. What's your opinion?

Firstly, unless they actually suck such that they sound unpleasant that no one could actually enjoy it (e.g. can't keep time, really dissonant), carry on telling them your honest opinion but leave your friends be because they might have some fans.

Secondly, why are you making their efforts to pursue music about you? Are you genuinely worried about them embarrassing you?

Quote by jakesmellspoo

LMAO, siq banter, bro.
Free Ali
Free Lard
i think its wrong of you not to tell them, i mean, if i was really bad at something i'd expect my friends to have the decency to tell me just how shit i am and that i should give up before i embarrass them
Quote by jakesmellspoo

Under rated post.
Quote by APileOfDeadCops
But I really want to stop them before they go up on stage and embarrass themselves and me..

How do they embarrass you? You're not in the band. Or is this like that time with the guy dressed as an emo lesbian, that just by walking with someone you are afraid people will judge you? Stop caring about what people think bro.

Quote by jakesmellspoo

Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Tell them they're smelly.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
knowing ts and his everything they are probably great
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Join the band and make them not suck anymore. How you may ask? Well you could help them get better at what they do or you could try and break up the band.

you're welcome
actually, you should see if the hip hop producer would hook them up with a demo so we can hear them for ourselves
Meh, let them play a gig, if they suck that bad, I'm sure the audience will react as such. Then critique them. Gigs can really help a band sound better.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
Most likely if you tell them anything besides they're good it'll go in one ear and out the other. Let them have a cringe inducing band. We've all had one at least once.
Quote by jakesmellspoo

loooooooool
record them and share it here, then show them the thread
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Shit on all their gear and tell them it was the pizza delivery guy seeking vengeance.
Quote by DisarmGoliath
Facesitting is a violation of freedom of speech, because how can you speak when you have an ass covering your face?
Do any of your "friends" have violent tendencies? I ask because My old band had a guy who would show up to all of our practices. I guess he had "nothing better to do". He would critique us after every song, usually negative. One day, without warning, Our very quiet drummer "the bird" got up from his throne put the fello in a headlock and smashed his face into the wall, twice before we could pull him off the dude. For some reason the dickweed never came back. Long live the bird!
If you really need to be in their business, dont say anything. Take a recording device with you and record them, then play it back for them. The tape never lies.
You wouldn't happen to have any material of theirs you can post her, would you?
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
What chrismendiola (Mr. Skeleton) said.

I think it is best to let people have their experiences. You can critique them, but let them carry on by all means.

And "stop them before they go up on stage and embarrass themselves and me" is just silly. They obviously don't seem embarassed. If you feel embarassed, then don't go to their gigs. It is that simple, really.
It'd be fantastic if 'Crack67' was in the band the OP was talking about, and they're just posting on UG while they hate eachother.
how about you be their manager and tell them how not to suck so hard?
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
You wouldn't happen to have any material of theirs you can post her, would you?

They're just starting out lol.
Honestly, they'll figure it out soon enough without your help. Just be supportive. If they genuinely suck, they aren't going to get many gigs, and they won't really gain fans.
If they suck at something that can be 100% objectively measured, like playing not in tempo or out of tune - tell them that they need to work on these things.

Otherwise jest let them play, they will have nice and harsh lesson if they really suck. If they will not learn anything from it, they're helpless.
+1 totally post it on a thread and then show the responses
Last edited by jerebear1 at Feb 20, 2015,
Page 1 of 3