Well folks I think I'd like to begin my first build in the next few months. Id like to order an explorer body from either BYO Guitar or Guitar fetish. This being my first time, I'm not gonna spend a lot. I now these two brands have their downsides, being cheaper and all. My question is which one would give me less amount problems? The least amount of shimming or even drilling. I understand that manufacturers like precision guitar would be best, but I'm not looking to spend that kind of money.
Check out www.rmolsonguitars.com. Robert has ES- 335's on sale now as well as Les Paul and other guitar kits. I've build a couple of his guitar kits and they turned out great. Good luck. You get what you pay for. Start with a good kit for a good, hassle free build.
Quote by Guitbuilder
Check out www.rmolsonguitars.com. Robert has ES- 335's on sale now as well as Les Paul and other guitar kits. I've build a couple of his guitar kits and they turned out great. Good luck. You get what you pay for. Start with a good kit for a good, hassle free build.

Read the guys post, he wants an Explorer style not a semi hollow.

I'd probably say the BYOguitar is probably better quality, but GFS has some nice parts you can upgrade like tuners and pickups.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I read a thread from a guy who did a build with a GFS Explorer and said they used a tailpiece with spacing at 80 mm. Every other company and manufacturer uses 82mm. So that wouldn't be interchangeable. I just wonder if they did that with other parts n their guitar and not just the tailpiece. Are the other parts funny sizes too?
Quote by Buzz_bee
I read a thread from a guy who did a build with a GFS Explorer and said they used a tailpiece with spacing at 80 mm. Every other company and manufacturer uses 82mm. So that wouldn't be interchangeable. I just wonder if they did that with other parts n their guitar and not just the tailpiece. Are the other parts funny sizes too?

They make different spacings. A Gibson bridge will not work on a stock epiphone because of this.

Any of their import parts have worked on every import guitar I have put them on from a late 70's to modern ones. They have a few bridge and tailpieces that specifically say USA in the name these will work on a Gibson, but not any import types
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Buzz_bee
Which spacing is used on imports? USA made?

www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-Style-Bridges_c_36.html
see the very bottom of the page, it says "USA Gibson fit" on the bridge and stopbar. As you can imagine, those only fit USA spaced bridges. The rest of what is on that page will fit your import.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'm thinking the BYO Explorer might be my best option. It seems to be much better quality. More exact routing and cuts. I plan to upgrade the hardware and throw on some new pups, but id rather buy those parts from my local store rather than online.
I just did a flaxwood build from BYO and they were always quick to reply to emails and such - so their customer service is great. The guitar turned out fantastic. I actually did a byo flaxwood build post in this forum - check it out if your interested. The pre-drilled holes for the bridge were spot on as well as the rest of the pre-drilled areas. I am probably going to do their shredder or EVH next, but I'm also considering the Explorer. Oh, their finishing kit, especially the stringed instrument lacquer is fantastic stuff. I will definitely use it from now on - just be patient with it.
Last edited by epefeman at Feb 24, 2015,
Quote by Buzz_bee
I'm thinking the BYO Explorer might be my best option. It seems to be much better quality. More exact routing and cuts. I plan to upgrade the hardware and throw on some new pups, but id rather buy those parts from my local store rather than online.

I'd say that since you're asking all of the "right" questions already, the only real thing you need to keep in mind is how comfortable you are with drilling. As long as you have a decent power drill and a good set of drill bits you should be fine. Good luck with your build and definitely post some photos once you get it set up.
-- H

“Can't say it often enough - change your hair, change your life.”
CEO / Spirit Guide
VIVA VIRILIUM INDUSTRIES
http://www.vivavirilium.com/