As the title says, how difficult are thrash vocals? Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer. What techniques are necessary to master? I know Merriman has a great grit/rasp tutorial on his soundcloud. I assume people like James Hetfield use something similar. If i ever did learn to sing it would probably only be well enough to be able to do something like that. Thanks.
Megadeth is the easiest but he uses a very similar technique to James(They were in the same band after all). James actually has a very nice melodic voice, at least to my ears.

You can get the sound you are asking about with the technique that I use. But just make sure you are being patient as it can take a long time.
Last edited by merriman44 at Feb 21, 2015,
From my experience with different vocal styles (including James Hetfield's style), getting the technique and the basic sound right is pretty easy, the hard part is mastering it.
Quote by merriman44
Megadeth is the easiest but he uses a very similar technique to James(They were in the same band after all). James actually has a very nice melodic voice, at least to my ears.

You can get the sound you are asking about with the technique that I use. But just make sure you are being patient as it can take a long time.

Interesting. How difficult is it in terms of required skill or whatever? Like in the same way that Rob Halford's highs are probably difficult to hit, how hard are James Hetfield's vocal parts? Thanks.
Quote by Cheeseshark
Interesting. How difficult is it in terms of required skill or whatever? Like in the same way that Rob Halford's highs are probably difficult to hit, how hard are James Hetfield's vocal parts? Thanks.

Getting the "distortion" is not that bad but getting Hetfield's high notes is pretty tough. Especially the older songs.
Quote by ThoriumEx
Getting the "distortion" is not that bad but getting Hetfield's high notes is pretty tough. Especially the older songs.

This really just depends upon your natural range.

Cheese, I can't tell you how difficult it will be. That's up to you and your body. Some voices take to distortion easily, others do not. It can be done either way, but in one case the process will take much more time.

My voice doesn't like to distort and so I've had a long go of it but have arrived at some level of mastery.