I would like to increase the speed of my picking hand so I'm pretty much just trying to find exercises or specific bits of songs that will help with that. I plan on playing plenty of Metallica for the most part.

So yeah, I just want an exercise that will just about make my arm fall off.
I would also appreciate some left hand stuff but I'm focusing on my right one first.
Thanks.
Probably best is to practice exactly so your arm won't almost fall off. Less movement= faster picking
for alternate picking learn de mysteriis dom sathanas by mayhem, for downpicking learn anarchy in the UK and paranoid both by megadeth
Well for Metallica stuff I'm assuming you want to improve your down picking speed, at least for the riffs. The best way to do this is to play the 'spider riff' from Master of Puppets, playing only downstrokes, slowly, comfortably and accurately to a click for about 30 seconds or so (you shouldn't feel any tension, tension is a BAD thing), rest, then do it again slightly faster, rinse and repeat. You should feel a very light burn after a while, kind of like when you're exercising or working out (if it starts to hurt, stop). I've done this before and the results come very fast, within just a few days. Within a week you'll see massive improvement.

As for solo stuff, I'd recommend playing pentatonic runs (vertical and horizontal), both strictly picked and then incorporate hammer ons/pull offs (a very big part of Kirks solos). The idea is efficiency, speed is not picking faster, it's making each pick take as little time and energy as possible. As always, you should never feel any more than a slight burn, tension will only lead to bad habits and injury.
Last edited by Jimjambanx at Feb 21, 2015,
Play anything hard for you from Metallica, slow it down and play it until it gets comfortable. Then speed up gradually when you feel like it.
Downpicking - Master of Puppets
Alternate - Dyer's Eve (also for left hand), Fight Fire With Fire (easier)
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
screw what i just said, learn the whole master of puppets album. guaranteed to make your arms fall off.
Quote by Cheeseshark
I would like to increase the speed of my picking hand so I'm pretty much just trying to find exercises or specific bits of songs that will help with that. I plan on playing plenty of Metallica for the most part.

So yeah, I just want an exercise that will just about make my arm fall off.
I would also appreciate some left hand stuff but I'm focusing on my right one first.
Thanks.

You could just do picking exercises. Doing all down picks to a set of all up pick to straight alternative picking. Do all these things while going up, and down the strings starting from the high E all the way up to the Low E string. You can even do string skipping with these groups of exercises. I honestly think that's the best way to get your right hand up to speed.
When you guys recommend songs do you mean the lead stuff too? Because I've never actually played any lead so that might be a challenge.
Also is it totally necessary to downpick most Metallica songs? I'm assuming this doesn't include songs like Battery and Fight fire with fire, right?
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Feb 21, 2015,
you said you wanted left hand stuff as well so yeah, you dont have to tho. its not completely necessary to downpick those, but it sounds a ton better, and i dont think downpicking battery is even physically possible
Quote by Cheeseshark
When you guys recommend songs do you mean the lead stuff too? Because I've never actually played any lead so that might be a challenge.
Also is it totally necessary to downpick most Metallica songs? I'm assuming this doesn't include songs like Battery and Fight fire with fire, right?

As a rule of thumb, in Thrash usually 8th notes are usually downpicked but you dont have to be anal about it. Feel free to sneak in an upstroke if you need to, Gary Holt style. So keep alternate picking the fast 0-0-0-0-0-0-0 machine gun parts, they are not meant to be downpicked.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Alright. Can anyone recommend any Metallica solos that would be do-able for someone who has never played any lead?

In terms of rhythm I think I might try Fight Fire with Fire as was recommended above. After that I'll try to learn the entirety of MoP.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Feb 21, 2015,
Quote by Cheeseshark
Alright. Can anyone recommend any Metallica solos that would be do-able for someone who has never played any lead?

It sounds like you are wanting to sprint before you know how to crawl. Any solo can be learned if you slow it down enough. I'd recommend learning all 5 positions of the pentatonic scale first. Learning this first will teach you where to put your fingers for different sections of a solo, the position you'll place your hands in for maximum benefit.

There are other scales to learn too, major and chromatic are important. Reference the way Daniel learned karate in the Karate Kid for scale practice. Every key every position. There are awesome YouTube videos that you can reference.

The better you are at scales the smoother and sweeter your solos will sound. It will also make them MUCH easier to learn and remember. 🎸
Quote by gravitycure
It sounds like you are wanting to sprint before you know how to crawl. Any solo can be learned if you slow it down enough. I'd recommend learning all 5 positions of the pentatonic scale first. Learning this first will teach you where to put your fingers for different sections of a solo, the position you'll place your hands in for maximum benefit.

There are other scales to learn too, major and chromatic are important. Reference the way Daniel learned karate in the Karate Kid for scale practice. Every key every position. There are awesome YouTube videos that you can reference.

The better you are at scales the smoother and sweeter your solos will sound. It will also make them MUCH easier to learn and remember. 🎸

Yeah, I tend to do that a lot. Thanks for pointing it out. I will take your advice on that. Just out of curiosity, should I expect to be playing these for 10+ hours for them to be useful in learning any Metallica stuff?
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Feb 22, 2015,
learning scales isn't hard being able to turn them into a lead is. this will take time so don't rush cuz it will just frustrate you.

i'd try to learn the beginning of Seek and Destroy as a good lesson in Metallica. the single note riff isn't that hard and the rhythm guitar riff is slow (by metallica standards). this will give you a solid downstroke riff to play that won't kill you and give you some proper technique as well. leads take time and even then playing some of kurts leads can be a real challenge for even experienced players.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjwS5ZQNa9E

This is the best lesson on Youtube concerning metal rhythm playing that I have found so far, since it offers in-depth insight into various aspects of metal rhythm technique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EW-JZOcULA

This one is good for explaining the mechanics of each technique needed, although those tips are interspersed with examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wts8pFKo_s8 This is just a good tip for downpicking, although it's covered in the first video (in a 1 minute format, though).