Page 1 of 4
HERE IT IS!

This is for quick questions ONLY. Not opinions.

Lets keep it concrete, at least as much as you possibly can in the realm of guitars and guitarists.

A single question format is ideal, and if it starts going back and fourth too many times, start a thread.

If its answered, let it lie, if possible.

If you don't know the answer, don't post.

This is to be overseen by WTLT.

(this was put together with with mods' permission)
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Feb 22, 2015,
Good thread idea.

Hope this gets stickied.

But I do think a big problem is that too many newbs overlook the preexisting stickies and make a new thread on a dead horse of a topic.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 22, 2015,
Trashed, you should edit the OP to included the "who to listen to" list so some of the newer folks will have an idea who gives regularly good advice. This is a good idea for a thread. UG is kind of becoming a collection of large stickies as is, another one can't hurt!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

But I do think a big problem is that too many newbs overlook the preexisting stickies and make a new thread on a dead horse of a topic.

This is why I hate coming in to EG nowadays. It's about time EG got a quick question!
Quote by JustRooster
Trashed, you should edit the OP to included the "who to listen to" list so some of the newer folks will have an idea who gives regularly good advice.

Yeah, but the EG WTLT hasn't been updated in at least 5 years. I've never even seen half the people on it.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Same here I've looked a the list a couple of times and only recognize a couple of names. Needs an update. I can think of a couple of people that I know are pretty reliable, their names are not there.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Still active WTLT Members:
jj1565
Dave_Mc
Tom 1.0
Gregs1020
Dave_mc
Ippon
311zosovhjh
JustRooster

My opinion for additions:

dannyaclatraz
dspellman
trashedlostfdup
robbgnarly
Roc8995

Who to avoid:
jnypc
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 24, 2015,
Quote by Paleo Pete
Same here I've looked a the list a couple of times and only recognize a couple of names. Needs an update. I can think of a couple of people that I know are pretty reliable, their names are not there.

is that list really an asset though. it would need to be maintained way better and there needs to be criteria to have a name added as well. it doesn't really take much time to figure who the regulars are and who seems to be answering with good info. yeah i know for neebies it might help but then you have to assume they are looking at the list to begin with.

perhaps the mods could add a designation to folks they deem worthy that appears when they post so a list wouldn't be really necessary just a note in the stuff that new folks read when signing up
^ the big problem is the wtlt thread normally turns into a spam thread for the regulars

but yeah the problem is they're not updated often enough. maybe we should have a vote every 3 months (or at some regular interval) to add a couple of names or something. LOL even colin's not on the list? He's a mod ffs

+1 on those names listed above. also monwobobbo and lucky1978 (something like that) t00deepblue and cajundaddy (if they don't mostly just post in G G&A ).

Probably loads of other people I'm missing. that's the big problem, every so often someone says, ""Who should we nominate?" and my mind goes blank. Whereas when I'm just posting in the forums I can think of plenty of people.

EDIT: but yeah rather than a thread no-one leaves maybe putting it in your sig would be better. that way people can see when you post in their thread.

though i always think it's a bit big-headed to have that in your sig. you also run the risk of people only listening to people on the list. a lot of the time people just aren't on the list because the list hasn't been updated in years, apart from anything else.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 23, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ the big problem is the wtlt thread normally turns into a spam thread for the regulars

but yeah the problem is they're not updated often enough. maybe we should have a vote every 3 months (or at some regular interval) to add a couple of names or something. LOL even colin's not on the list? He's a mod ffs

+1 on those names listed above. also monwobobbo and lucky1978 (something like that) t00deepblue and cajundaddy (if they don't mostly just post in G G&A ).

Probably loads of other people I'm missing. that's the big problem, every so often someone says, ""Who should we nominate?" and my mind goes blank. Whereas when I'm just posting in the forums I can think of plenty of people.

EDIT: but yeah rather than a thread no-one leaves maybe putting it in your sig would be better. that way people can see when you post in their thread.

though i always think it's a bit big-headed to have that in your sig. you also run the risk of people only listening to people on the list. a lot of the time people just aren't on the list because the list hasn't been updated in years, apart from anything else.

much of what you are saying is what i was getting at. i don't find recognition from your peers being big headed realy. now if i was to add something like that myself then yeah. i'm sure that could be handled with a certain degree of class. you are right though that i certainly wouldn't want to alienate others from giving their (potentially better) views. i'm wrong sometimes and i know it.

seems like a damned if we do damned if we don't scenario
^ yeah that's the problem (damned if you do, damned if you don't)

don't get me wrong, more frequent updates to the WTLT threads would be a good idea, and I'm all for that. currently it just tends to be done when the regulars think of it (which is often "never")

EDIT: grr in the post above i meant a thread "no-one reads", not "no-one leaves" And yeah I'm wrong pretty frequently too, as that typo proves
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 23, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah that's the problem (damned if you do, damned if you don't)

don't get me wrong, more frequent updates to the WTLT threads would be a good idea, and I'm all for that. currently it just tends to be done when the regulars think of it (which is often "never")

EDIT: grr in the post above i meant a thread "no-one reads", not "no-one leaves" And yeah I'm wrong pretty frequently too, as that typo proves

Well, considering that the person who posted the WTLT list in that thread hasn't made a post since 2010, I think it's fairly safe to say that the EG WTLT is not nearly updated enough. That entire thread needs to be updated. In fact, all the EG stickies could probably be condensed into 3 threads: Rules/FAQ/WTLT for forums etiquette, a Setup/Guitar Maintenance Thread for set up, stringing and FR how-tos and the Gear Pics thread.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
So what makes this one different compared to the one in GG&A? Is this one strictly about guitars, setups etc... and not involving pedals/amps/etc... We should at least specify something like that or I feel like this thread is almost useless since the other one is way more established.

What about rules too? Are we just gonna let everybody spam "what guitar should I buy?" or "what's better a strat on an LP?"

Like I'm all for helpful threads but I can see this turning into regulars spamming the new barbecues they bought in a couple of months if people don't use it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I don't think WTLT should be taken too seriously tbh. It makes the atmosphere of the forums seem a bit competitive, when it shouldn't be imo.

And the WTA list is something I really don't like. It seems condescending. All that really needs to be done if they do give advice that's misguided, is to show them where they may be wrong in the context of the discussion. I think the vast majority of people here are wiling to learn from where they might've gone wrong, so putting them in WTA because of some bad advice they gave seems unfair to me. I think only in very extreme cases where people simply refuse to learn from other people's experiences should be on that list. And even in that case, instead of saying 'Avoid that guy', showing to the OP why you disagree with that person is a more impartial and mature response imo.

And there are sometimes people out there whom I've never heard of, who post excellent advice, arguably more concise than the people on WTLT because they might have more experience with the specific circumstances of the OP. And sometimes the advice someone gives on WTLT is wrong based on some kind of misunderstanding on the OP's issue. I've had that happen to me before.

I also agree that rules need to be very well defined for this thread to work properly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 24, 2015,
Post it or don't. I suppose my objective was trying to keep noobies from thinking folks like jnycp had good opinions.
I know and I respect that you don't want newbs getting the misguided advice. I'm not the guy making this thread so I don't have a very significant say in what is and what isn't included in it. But I just wanted to express my concerns in case they're worth considering.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by kangaxxter
Well, considering that the person who posted the WTLT list in that thread hasn't made a post since 2010, I think it's fairly safe to say that the EG WTLT is not nearly updated enough. That entire thread needs to be updated. In fact, all the EG stickies could probably be condensed into 3 threads: Rules/FAQ/WTLT for forums etiquette, a Setup/Guitar Maintenance Thread for set up, stringing and FR how-tos and the Gear Pics thread.

LOL

Yeah I was sort of trying to write newer, better (maybe hard to be worse than the ones i originally wrote but I'm making a good attempt at that ) stickies but I never get round to doing much about it.

and lol you're dave too? any time you go to a shopping centre someone shouts "dave" and about 8 people turn round

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
So what makes this one different compared to the one in GG&A? Is this one strictly about guitars, setups etc... and not involving pedals/amps/etc... We should at least specify something like that or I feel like this thread is almost useless since the other one is way more established.

What about rules too? Are we just gonna let everybody spam "what guitar should I buy?" or "what's better a strat on an LP?"

Like I'm all for helpful threads but I can see this turning into regulars spamming the new barbecues they bought in a couple of months if people don't use it.

I think it's fair enough if it's for guitars. At least, that's what I assumed the point was.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
(a) I don't think WTLT should be taken too seriously tbh. It makes the atmosphere of the forums seem a bit competitive, when it shouldn't be imo.

(b) And the WTA list is something I really don't like. It seems condescending. All that really needs to be done if they do give advice that's misguided, is to show them where they may be wrong in the context of the discussion. I think the vast majority of people here are wiling to learn from where they might've gone wrong, so putting them in WTA because of some bad advice they gave seems unfair to me. I think only in very extreme cases where people simply refuse to learn from other people's experiences should be on that list. And even in that case, instead of saying 'Avoid that guy', showing to the OP why you disagree with that person is a more impartial and mature response imo.

(c) And there are sometimes people out there whom I've never heard of, who post excellent advice, arguably more concise than the people on WTLT because they might have more experience with the specific circumstances of the OP. And sometimes the advice someone gives on WTLT is wrong based on some kind of misunderstanding on the OP's issue. I've had that happen to me before.

(d) I also agree that rules need to be very well defined for this thread to work properly.

(a) Does it create a worse atmosphere than posts like:

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

?

I mean, don't get me wrong- I know what you mean about the WTLT thing, and I agree. I think Kyle (mod) said it best a while back (he was talking about the general atmosphere in the forum, but WTLT is a similar idea)- "It's a very fine line between having a good community feel in the forum, which makes the forum better, and having a cliquey feel, which makes the forum worse." (That's paraphrased, obviously.)

The WTLT thing is there to encourage people to become regulars, and to post helpful stuff, to make them feel appreciated. It's not intended to put off others who are not on the list. Of course, what's intended and what actually happens aren't always the same.

FWIW I don't have a problem with the same questions being asked over and over (I'm responding to your previous post I quoted above). If we didn't have questions we wouldn't have a forum.

(b) Agreed. I think we got rid of the "who not to listen to" thing a good while back because we thought it sent the wrong message.

Even aside from that (and that reason's very important), it's almost unworkable, since a lot of the people who post the worst advice only post a couple of times and then get bored and leave. By the time you've recognised a repeat offender, he/she is often gone...

(c) Yep absolutely. Just because someone is on the list doesn't mean that he/she is never wrong, or that someone who's not on the list shouldn't be listened to. All it is is that people on the list are kind of a known quantity- they're more likely than not to be right (apart from anything, you get on the list by talking about what you know about and shutting up about what you don't), and probably more likely than some random forumite to be right. That doesn't mean that there might not be cases where the random forumite might not be right and the WTLTer wrong.

(d) I dunno about that. All you really need is, "Ask any short questions in here instead of making a thread." I don't think we've really had much trouble with the one in G G&A, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 24, 2015,
since there is much dispute, i PM'd TNfootballfan62 which is who gave me the authority to make this thread, so he can maybe lean things one way or another.

maybe its not worth having, but the GG&A thread didn't have these problems.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
^ I think it's a good idea, FWIW.

Admittedly I thought the GG&A one was too. But far as I'm concerned it's a success.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah I'm pissed I'm still not on the WTLT

I feel small and meaningless now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the thread's worth having. Leave the WTLT list out and delete the posts so people don't come with a question and get discouraged by arguing! I think good things will come of this.

Plus, if someone posts bad advice, there's likely to be a million posts quoting that person to refute it.
Last edited by JustRooster at Feb 24, 2015,
^^ you're not on the list yet? you've been around for ages

^ yeah absolutely. once we've figured out what to do with the thread we can all delete our posts in here or something like that. or just start a new thread.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I envision this being very much like the thread of the same name in GG&A.

I don't think it's necessary to link to the WTLT list because it is so horribly outdated, but you guys know who the regulars are, and those are the people that should be helping in here. This type of thread can be self regulated, in a way. If someone give bad advice, correct it. If there are enough of you around, the wrong person will be in the minority opinion.

I also don't think there should be any spam/chatting in this thread whatsoever (aside from this discussion happening, obviously). It should be fairly strictly Q&A and stay on topic.

Of course, what defines a "quick question" is up for debate, but it shouldn't be too hard to sort out. People asking questions should be sure to provide as much information as possible so that a straightforward answer can be given. If a discussion starts running long, we can ask the poster to make a thread. Or if there's ever a "What guitar do I need" type post where there's next to no information given, report it, and it can be deleted and the user can be asked to make a thread.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by Trashedlostfedup
maybe its not worth having, but the GG&A thread didn't have these problems.

I feel like the issue isn't with what this thread is supposed to be. The issue is with the un-updated sticky bloat at the top of the page.

I don't mean to imply that the mods aren't doing anything, I don't think that at all and am very happy with the EG moderation team, but tackling all that information and condensing it is a project that'd take a lot of work.

Quote by Dave_Mc

and lol you're dave too? any time you go to a shopping centre someone shouts "dave" and about 8 people turn round

Heavy is the head that bears the best first name in the world.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Feb 24, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc

(a) Does it create a worse atmosphere than posts like:

?

I guess you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

I'd rather answer the same questions and while it does get obnoxious if it gets bad enough, its tolerable if its not too frequent.
The WTLT thing is there to encourage people to become regulars, and to post helpful stuff, to make them feel appreciated. It's not intended to put off others who are not on the list. Of course, what's intended and what actually happens aren't always the same.

Yeah, I get that intention. And while it does provide an incentive to post good advice, it might cause people to be a little competitive and I'd rather have a potentially friendlier atmosphere than have people potentially be helpful, but only for the agenda of being on some list.
FWIW I don't have a problem with the same questions being asked over and over (I'm responding to your previous post I quoted above). If we didn't have questions we wouldn't have a forum.

(b) Agreed. I think we got rid of the "who not to listen to" thing a good while back because we thought it sent the wrong message.

Even aside from that (and that reason's very important), it's almost unworkable, since a lot of the people who post the worst advice only post a couple of times and then get bored and leave. By the time you've recognised a repeat offender, he/she is often gone...

(c) Yep absolutely. Just because someone is on the list doesn't mean that he/she is never wrong, or that someone who's not on the list shouldn't be listened to. All it is is that people on the list are kind of a known quantity- they're more likely than not to be right (apart from anything, you get on the list by talking about what you know about and shutting up about what you don't), and probably more likely than some random forumite to be right. That doesn't mean that there might not be cases where the random forumite might not be right and the WTLTer wrong.

(d) I dunno about that. All you really need is, "Ask any short questions in here instead of making a thread." I don't think we've really had much trouble with the one in G G&A, for example.

I was sort of referring to defining that brief questions should be asked only.

I do want this thing to happen though, it has potential to make this forum more organised.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 24, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Yeah, I get that intention. And while it does provide an incentive to post good advice, it might cause people to be a little competitive and I'd rather have a potentially friendlier atmosphere than have people potentially be helpful, but only for the agenda of being on some.

i dunno i think that most of the potential candidates for a current list probably could care less about being on the "list". i can't see say Cathbard getting competitive just to see his name on a list. me either. i'm just here to keep myself entertained and TRY to help others not make the same mistakes i did.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
I envision this being very much like the thread of the same name in GG&A.

I don't think it's necessary to link to the WTLT list because it is so horribly outdated, but you guys know who the regulars are, and those are the people that should be helping in here. This type of thread can be self regulated, in a way. If someone give bad advice, correct it. If there are enough of you around, the wrong person will be in the minority opinion.

I also don't think there should be any spam/chatting in this thread whatsoever (aside from this discussion happening, obviously). It should be fairly strictly Q&A and stay on topic.

Of course, what defines a "quick question" is up for debate, but it shouldn't be too hard to sort out. People asking questions should be sure to provide as much information as possible so that a straightforward answer can be given. If a discussion starts running long, we can ask the poster to make a thread. Or if there's ever a "What guitar do I need" type post where there's next to no information given, report it, and it can be deleted and the user can be asked to make a thread.

Agreed, that's the way I see it too.

Quote by kangaxxter

Heavy is the head that bears the best first name in the world.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
(a) I guess you're damned if you do, you're damned if you don't.

I'd rather answer the same questions and while it does get obnoxious if it gets bad enough, its tolerable if its not too frequent.

(b) Yeah, I get that intention. And while it does provide an incentive to post good advice, it might cause people to be a little competitive and I'd rather have a potentially friendlier atmosphere than have people potentially be helpful, but only for the agenda of being on some list.

(c)

(d) I was sort of referring to defining that brief questions should be asked only.

(e) I do want this thing to happen though, it has potential to make this forum more organised.

(a) Yeah. I think the concern is if you're not careful you kill the traffic in the forums. Some of the other forums are suffering from that already.

(b) Yeah I know what you mean.

(c)

(d) Yep absolutely, agreed. I imagine that'd be done in this thread too. For example, the one in G G&A has a few rules in the OP- https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32363728&postcount=1

(e) Yeah.

Also I like how it encourages people to post (but constructively), even if they don't have something which justifies a thread. I dunno about anyone else, but there are often things I wonder about- not enough to make a thread (and they don't justify a thread), but if there's a handy place to get a quick answer, you might consider asking it.

Also it's less embarassing than making a thread if it's a really quick question, or one you suspect you should know the answer to. Again, it hopefully encourages people to post rather than not bothering.

As I said above, the one in G G&A has been going for a while now (a year, going by the date of the OP ) and personally I haven't seen anything to make me think it wasn't a good idea. I think I was one of the ones who pushed for it at the start (it wasn't my idea, I think I saw it in G B&C first IIRC ) IIRC
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 24, 2015,
Quote by JustRooster
Post it or don't. I suppose my objective was trying to keep noobies from thinking folks like jnycp had good opinions.

Haha, I don't think you needed the word "like" in that sentence given your prior post. Somebody really rubbed you the wrong way, eh? Don't get me wrong, I generally ignore the guy. Has what I consider an irrational dislike of Gibsons. What I mean by that is he goes out of his way to trash talk them when they aren't even the topic. I like GIbsons, more than half my gutiars are from that brand. I get not everyone digs em, I try not to push my choices on others but someone who generally is going to think I'm mentally incompetent because of what I choose to play and nothing more is generally not going to make good conversation for me so I just ignore.

As far as the WTLT discussion going on here, what about adding a "like/dislike" feature of some sort? Let the people speak, themselves. Someone who has a habit of giving overly biased or incorrect advice, or who is generally discourteous, is going to find themselves with a low rating next to every post right under their username with no maintenance required. OTOH, people who are helpful and positive will tend to be reflected with better ratings. Yeah, there will be a couple idiots who do stupid things to try and boost their ratings because they're needlessly competitive, but for the most part, for people who just come here to hang out, chat, bs, it would be a self-regulating litmus test, I think.
Quote by Hydra26

As far as the WTLT discussion going on here, what about adding a "like/dislike" feature of some sort? Let the people speak, themselves. Someone who has a habit of giving overly biased or incorrect advice, or who is generally discourteous, is going to find themselves with a low rating next to every post right under their username with no maintenance required

I have seen a like/thank mechanic work on other forums, but the only place I've seen a dislike feature is on reddit (and I guess, digg), and the problem with the dislike button is that it creates a toxic atmosphere where only "mainstream" opinions are shared and "liked" and fringe or unpopular ideas, even if appropriate and accurate, are ignored at best and are "disliked" straight to hell. With our current format, if someone shares incorrect or bad information, you actually have to write out a coherent argument on why they're wrong, instead of just hitting the dislike button and exiting the thread. The issue with a voting system is that it becomes a popularity contest; whoever says the things that the most people like become the WTLT list, even if it's inaccurate or unhelpful.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Fender Excelsior 13w
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
The problem with a like/dislike type system is that it's never going to actually be built into the forum, so you'd have to have some kind of manual system with a thread to post in, someone to compile, etc.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
lets get some questions in here, and help who needs it. if somebody is wrong, have somebody tell them.

i think its becoming a little excessive with who should answer. if somebody continually posts misinformation, or bad information, kindly address that, or at an extreme tell them not to answer this thread.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
^ Yeah. Going by the G G&A version I don't think there's much to worry about. It works well, and I doubt this one will be different. If it is, we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Quote by kangaxxter
I have seen a like/thank mechanic work on other forums, but the only place I've seen a dislike feature is on reddit (and I guess, digg), and the problem with the dislike button is that it creates a toxic atmosphere where only "mainstream" opinions are shared and "liked" and fringe or unpopular ideas, even if appropriate and accurate, are ignored at best and are "disliked" straight to hell. With our current format, if someone shares incorrect or bad information, you actually have to write out a coherent argument on why they're wrong, instead of just hitting the dislike button and exiting the thread. The issue with a voting system is that it becomes a popularity contest; whoever says the things that the most people like become the WTLT list, even if it's inaccurate or unhelpful.

Yeah. If anything it's more competitive than the WTLT system.

I know they have it on the fretboard forum (they used to have a facepalm too but they got rid of it, much for the reasons we got rid of the "who not to listen to" list here... LOL I got one for gloating that I hadn't got any facepalms yet ), and it works pretty well. But as kyle says it'd need to be implemented into the forum software and I don't see that happening any time soon
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Alright, I'll actually ask a question

Gonna be picking up some new strings soon and I want to try something different. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions/favorites. I mostly use DR nickel wounds on my more traditional electrics and either Elixirs or DM Blue Steels on the rest. I play blues stuff and modern rock stuff once in a while.

Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Alright, I'll actually ask a question

Gonna be picking up some new strings soon and I want to try something different. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions/favorites. I mostly use DR nickel wounds on my more traditional electrics and either Elixirs or DM Blue Steels on the rest. I play blues stuff and modern rock stuff once in a while.

D'Addario has always worked well for me
Never really liked d'addario.

I'm sticking with my original optimism that this thread is gonna be a success.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I personally like Rotosounds because they alloys they use for their strings are harder than something like D'addario or Ernie Ball and as such feel less elastic.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Quote by Dave_Mc
Never really liked d'addario.

I'm sticking with my original optimism that this thread is gonna be a success.

I don't hate them but there isn't really anything that makes me think 'oh hey I really want a set of D'addario' The DRs/Elixirs I really like the feel of hence the preference.

Was thinking of trying the Cobalt strings but they seem kind of gimmicky all things considered.

Quote by Ippon
I buy the bulk packages when they're on sale. I like the Elixir Nanoweb.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I personally like Rotosounds because they alloys they use for their strings are harder than something like D'addario or Ernie Ball and as such feel less elastic.

I like it a bit slinky but I'll keep the rotos in mind
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
The only other strings I've found to be slinkier like the DR's are the DM Blue Steels. I used those before switching to DR.
Page 1 of 4