Page 1 of 2
I'm interested what do you think about guitar players that base their sound on effects pedals.

And if any of you are purists, why? There are many sonic experimentations waiting for you, but you still stick to that classic ac/dc tone.

Reverb, Delay, Modulations, Octave Pedals?
Quote by one vision

You wouldn't dance to a metronome.

On meth you would.
Last edited by Rensa at Feb 21, 2015,
I have nothing against them, TBH. Unless they're the kind who would refuse to play without them. Those people are dicks.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
If effects improve the music and are used tastefully, they are great. If it sounds good, it's good. Who cares about how the sound was achieved?

Of course sometimes overusing effects gets annoying.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
If it's what you play, awesome. I wouldn't expect Rowland S Howard to play through a dozen effects pedals, and I wouldn't expect Kevin Shields to use fewer than ten or so, but they're both among my favourite guitarists. Just roll with it.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
FX are good and have their place in music. I like experimenting with FX sometimes, but when I play live and write songs in my band I rarely use anything other than wah and an OD for a boost.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Rensa
I'm interested what do you think about guitar players that base their sound on effects pedals.

And if any of you are purists, why? There are many sonic experimentations waiting for you, but you still stick to that classic ac/dc tone.

ummm...... your base tone is guitar / amp. if you don't have it happening there then pedals become a huge crutch. there is much to be said for keeping it simple.

not sure what you are really trying to get at. you imply that the guy that keeps it simple is somehow unwilling to look for new sounds. newsflash, the guy that only has a guitar and amp has to put some actual effort into getting a new sound rather than just stomping on a pedal. what happens if that pedal dies? well then you're shit out of luck. the guy who uses his tone knobs, pckup selector switch and of course the volume knob on his guitar can get a variety of tones and not just the "AC/DC" tone that you seem to feel is to generic.

now don't get me wrong i have a pile of pedals but use them more as icing than the cake. honestly i want the wow factor to be my playing and not a buch of crazy noises from pedals. certainly some players can do great things with effects (adrian belew comes to mind) so it's more down the player than anything in the end. guys that just make noise cuz they can don't appeal to me.
you could argue royal blood uses effects and wont play without them. i think they get a pass since A they are incredible B he essentially found a way to make a bass a guitar. so.... yeah

in general, like the folks who buy a clean amp and get modelling pedals or stack pedals together, nothing against em if it sounds good. i think to sound good personally, i would have to buy very expensive pedals to keep my happy to the point i may as well buy a nice amp.

i think if you really want to do everything well, you need something like a kemper and thats a whole others story.

i know a lot of people who run a smiple 1 channel amp setup and a few pedals and sounds great. take a single channel dr. Z and a high end OD pedal or pedalsssss, easily get amazing tone.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
you could argue royal blood uses effects and wont play without them. i think they get a pass since A they are incredible B he essentially found a way to make a bass a guitar. so.... yeah

in general, like the folks who buy a clean amp and get modelling pedals or stack pedals together, nothing against em if it sounds good. i think to sound good personally, i would have to buy very expensive pedals to keep my happy to the point i may as well buy a nice amp.

i think if you really want to do everything well, you need something like a kemper and thats a whole others story.

i know a lot of people who run a smiple 1 channel amp setup and a few pedals and sounds great. take a single channel dr. Z and a high end OD pedal or pedalsssss, easily get amazing tone.
Lemmy has been playing a bass like a guitar since he joined Hawkwind.
Quote by Diemon Dave
I see pedals as an extension of your guitar. Do you need them to produce sound? No, but you can use them to alter the sound your instrument produces, thereby expanding what sounds you can produce.

Personally, I always have my reverb and distortion pedals on, and I could not imiagine being without them. That being said, I can see why some prefer to plug their guitar straight into their amp. Both are valid choices, and we should all respect that really.

That being said: You aren't cool if you haven't tried running a fuzz into two delay pedals, three reverbs, and a tremolo. Tone for days mate
Gear:

Fender American Hand Stained stratocaster
Fender 72' Telecaster Deluxe FSR

Squier Vista Venus

Boss TU-3
Boss OD-3
Pro co Rat 2
EHX Big Muff Nano
EHX Small clone
Boss DD7
Hardwire Supernatural

Vox AC30cc1
Blackheart Little Giant stack
Quote by Fishybones
I see pedals as an extension of your guitar. Do you need them to produce sound? No, but you can use them to alter the sound your instrument produces, thereby expanding what sounds you can produce.

Personally, I always have my reverb and distortion pedals on, and I could not imiagine being without them. That being said, I can see why some prefer to plug their guitar straight into their amp. Both are valid choices, and we should all respect that really.

That being said: You aren't cool if you haven't tried running a fuzz into two delay pedals, three reverbs, and a tremolo. Tone for days mate

Dammit guess i'm not cool figures
Ain't nothing wrong with using pedals. Ain't nothing wrong with NOT using them either.

Personally, I'm a pedalphile.

...maybe I shouldn't say that that way.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I've run both ways and usually I can bring just a volume pedal and overdrive and I'm fine. That's all I use at band practice. Onstage I bring a pedal board with 4effects, volume pedal and A/B switch into 2 amps. Last night I used the overdrive 90% of the time, distortion twice, modded Dan Electro Rocky Road twice. Arion Analog Delay decided it didn't want to work so it's time to open it up again and grab the contact cleaner...didn't miss it a bit though. Last time we played in the same place all I brought was volume pedal and overdrive, A/B switch and 2 amps...no problem, didn't miss the other effects at all.

It just depends on what you want. Most of the time I'm doing rhythm parts and fills, and most of that is just amp, or with overdrive on and use the volume pedal to stand out for fills and leads. The other effects are very rarely used but there if needed.

A while back I used a Peavey MX and often would use just amp and volume pedal, The gain channel is hard to get adjusted but works well, so all I used was footswitch and volume pedal.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Ain't nothing wrong with using pedals. Ain't nothing wrong with NOT using them either.

Personally, I'm a pedalphile.

...maybe I shouldn't say that that way.

i'd stick with the vintage ones those newer ones will get you into trouble
I like pedals, they are great. That being said, it is kinda ridicolus to see a pretty new player with a huge pedalboard that he doesnt use, or uses it to improve the tone of a shitty amp. I knew a guy that had a crappy MG and a pedalboard with about 20 cheap pedals. He switched them on and off for every single song, and it always sounded horrible.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by monwobobbo
i'd stick with the vintage ones those newer ones will get you into trouble

I can't help it- I like to be the first to use one, fresh out of the box!

Hey, is that the FBI at my door?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I use pedals to make my sound because the amps I really want are too expensive for me and what I have genuinely sounds pretty good. No really, I promise!!! But if money wasn't an issue, I'd probably just have an AC30 and a Fireball. More realistically, an RM50 or 100 with Vox and Engl modules. Even more realistically would be an Engl E530, but then I'd still need a pedal for the Vox cleans. After I got that situation sorted out I'd just have a reverb and delay pedal.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay

Plus my amp (AC30) has Reverb and Tremolo

The Boss DD-7 and Digitech Hardwire TL-2 are no longer there though.
Sorry to let you down TS.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 21, 2015,
Quote by gorkyporky
I like pedals, they are great. That being said, it is kinda ridicolus to see a pretty new player with a huge pedalboard that he doesnt use, or uses it to improve the tone of a shitty amp. I knew a guy that had a crappy MG and a pedalboard with about 20 cheap pedals. He switched them on and off for every single song, and it always sounded horrible.

agree and much like the guy that just knows he has to have a 100 watt head and 4x12 bottom to play his basement cuz you can't get the br00tlz otherwise this is a waste. pedals won't magically make a shit amp into a tone monster. used wrong fx can make even the best rig sound like crap.
I like to have just a good guitar and a good amp. I prefer my sound pure/raw, and I like the dynamics as direct and responsive as possible. But I do use a chorus and a delay sometimes for those lush 80s solo sounds.
My main playing, before I had to move back to Nevada, was Jam band type stuff.
Play at a party, some warehouse, backyard, whatever.
The only constants in the "band" was me a fellow guitarist I have known since 1981 and this one guy on a Djembe. We did have a semi regular bass player whose main gig was in an Ozzy/Randy tribute band.
Occasionally we would do some cover tunes (Sabbath, SRV, Hendrix), but the majority of the time we just made it up as we went along.
And I liked to have options.
While I used EVERY one of those pedals on that board during those jams, most of the time it was just the dirt pedals (MXR 10 Band is my Always On pedal).
Last edited by CodeMonk at Feb 22, 2015,
I like pedals. A lot. In my band I write a lot of songs and it's easy to run empty on ideas some days using just a clean and overdriven sound.

So I like to switch it up and use a capo, or a delay, or a wah, or tremolo from my amp, or whatever. Think I'll try some new tunings next. Something to spur some inspiration. If I could I'd buy some new instruments, but it's too much for me right now.

Unfortunately we're only given so many notes in music, so the only thing we can do is try to make interesting noises with those notes.
Guitars:
Fender Highway One Stratocaster
Gretsch G5120
1973 Japanese Les Paul

Amp:
Vox AC30C2

Effects:
MJM Brit Bender MKII tonebender clone
Boss Blues-Driver
Fulltone Clyde Standard Wah
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Catalinbread Echorec
I use pedals to capture certain tones. I don't aim to break artistic barriers and revolutionise guitar playing, I just like to play some covers and jam some blues. Buying a pedal to capture a certain tone is satisfying to me, for instance playing Pink Floyd with a phaser or delay feels good because you sound closer to David Gilmour than what you would without effects. Same story with Hendrix and fuzz, wah and vibe pedals.
Really there is no right or wrong, use pedals if it makes you happy or plug straight into your amp if it doesn't
I believe a good amplifier is very important if you are playing electric. Good on-board reverb and the ability to switch it on and off with a footswitch. Also a good clean and dirty channel. That goes such a long way with a good guitar.

I have a bunch of pedals. Somehow I never use them very much. I suppose my favorite would be delay, but that of course is a cousin to reverb. A phaser is cool but are you going to use that on every song? Always comes back to the amp, the guitar and your fingers.
Quote by diabolical
The more I play the more effects I strip out of the board
It just depends on the gig though but nowadays I shoot for bare minimum.

this for sure. i had a ton of stuff back in the day and figured i had to have at least 1 of everything on my board. down to 4 pedals and with the possible exception of my overdrive could get by without even those. i do still have a bunch of pedals just in case though.
Quote by greeny23
all pedals suck

I say yay to pedals. The clean channel on my amp is a bit flat and lifeless, but with a phaser or flanger in there it sounds quite nice.

On the other hand, I usually prefer distorted tones to be left as natural as possible. I'll never understand metal and rock guitarists who play pretty much pedal-free, only to stamp on the wah when a solo rolls around. It just sounds too fake.
I have nothing important to say
Horses for courses. If you are using pedals because you can't play or write a song then forshame; practise your art more. I don't use many pedals at all any more but they do have a place and a time. The only time they suck is when they are being used to compensate for shitty playing and/or writing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Guitars have changed drastically over the past century. Guitars, stomp effects, and amps when used together are somewhat a whole new instrument/voicing compared to much older, traditional guitar uses. Effects pedals somewhat created their own sect of guitar music.

Stompboxes are straight rad, yo.
i guess i have a different take on it, why wouldn't play electric guitar through a guitar amplifier be considered as an 'effect'? it has a particular sound that is different than an acoustic.

i have seen many people say something like 'a good amp is necessary', but there are players that don't even use traditional guitar amps and still get good sounds using nothing but 'effects'.

i personally see nothing wrong with using effect pedals, even if someone doesn't ever turn the effect off or they can't write a song without the effect. doesn't mean i'd prefer to listen to it, just means i see nothing wrong with it.

Quote by Cathbard
Horses for courses. If you are using pedals because you can't play or write a song then forshame; practise your art more. I don't use many pedals at all any more but they do have a place and a time. The only time they suck is when they are being used to compensate for shitty playing and/or writing.

what is this magical effects pedal out there makes someone a better guitarist? i keep hearing about it but i have yet to encounter it.

if you can play and write a song with effects then what does it matter? the way i see it is that the tools for song writing aren't relevant, writing the song is. should i be considered a bad song writer because i can't play piano? i'd rather judge the writer based on the finished product rather than the tools that person used to make it.

if you are a performing musician being paid to play guitar (a professional), then you'd probably better be well versed at many aspects of playing guitar. especially if you are a studio musician or some paid to tour for a band, but that is a whole different type of concept.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Feb 22, 2015,
A good song should stand on its own merits, regardless of what it is played on. I guess that's why I don't like post-rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
A good song should stand on its own merits, regardless of what it is played on. I guess that's why I don't like post-rock.

i get floored listening to Django Reinhardt, Omar Rodriguez or Frank Zappa. i think Zappa is who really forced me to abandoned my prejudices on what [good] music is, he is no-holds-barred when it comes to instrumentation and song writing.

i just can't in good conscious impose my own pre-conceived notions on what instrumentation a good song should have anymore after listening to him.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
As I said right at the start, "horses for courses."
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Rensa

Effects pedals are just tools. Like the tools? Use the tools. It really is that simple. I have full respect for guys like David Gilmour that "tone shape" with 100 pedals, guys like Albert Lee who just plug straight in, and every great player in between. Choose your weapon and make epic music. There is only shame in guys who suck at their craft, pedals or not.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cathbard
As I said right at the start, "horses for courses."

this thread is about pedals not horses you silly man.
mojostompboxes.com
Quote by gumbilicious
i guess i have a different take on it, why wouldn't play electric guitar through a guitar amplifier be considered as an 'effect'? it has a particular sound that is different than an acoustic.

i have seen many people say something like 'a good amp is necessary', but there are players that don't even use traditional guitar amps and still get good sounds using nothing but 'effects'.

i personally see nothing wrong with using effect pedals, even if someone doesn't ever turn the effect off or they can't write a song without the effect. doesn't mean i'd prefer to listen to it, just means i see nothing wrong with it.

what is this magical effects pedal out there makes someone a better guitarist? i keep hearing about it but i have yet to encounter it.

if you can play and write a song with effects then what does it matter? the way i see it is that the tools for song writing aren't relevant, writing the song is. should i be considered a bad song writer because i can't play piano? i'd rather judge the writer based on the finished product rather than the tools that person used to make it.

if you are a performing musician being paid to play guitar (a professional), then you'd probably better be well versed at many aspects of playing guitar. especially if you are a studio musician or some paid to tour for a band, but that is a whole different type of concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOhWSGbhxAo
Quote by Diemon Dave
Page 1 of 2