I've been looking at replacing the stock INF pickups in my Ibanez RG 370dx for some time now and as luck would have it my bridge pickup has somehow developed a horrible stuttering sound when turned up loud on overdrive (not entirely sure how but I used a cheap lead the other day instead of my usual one and not sure if that's affected the wiring in any way, will be taking it to get looked at soon when I get my new pickups)

I've spent hours looking at reviews/youtube etc. and just discovered IronGear pickups, they get pretty favourable reviews but I was just wondering if I could get a bit more backup on here before committing to them, I was sold on DiMarzio's but the IG pickups are a lot cheaper.

I play mostly metal at the moment so would be looking at the Hot Slag (great name!) Steam Hammer or Hammer Head. I play through a Marshall Valvestate VS102R but I'm going to get the Blackstar ID:30 TVP in a couple of weeks (opinions on that are also welcome)

Haven't got much experience upgrading guitars so any help would be much appreciated.
Upgrading from an AVT to an IV30 is more of a sidegrade

Been wondering about Iron Gear also. For a cheap upgrade. I've heard solid things about them though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Haven't personally tried em, but had I not switched over to a 7 string as my main guitar, I would probably have got a pair a while back. Many people seem to like them, not just as a cheap upgrade too.
What sort of music do you play?

Personally though, unless your bridge pup has really died, i'd suggest spending more on a better amp, the tonal difference it will make will be much more. Or at the very least, save up more and upgrade to a decent amp.
i have a hot slag in a mahogany body rebuild that i did. i like it and it sounds great for all kinds of metal.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Quote by ambler3
Haven't personally tried em, but had I not switched over to a 7 string as my main guitar, I would probably have got a pair a while back. Many people seem to like them, not just as a cheap upgrade too.
What sort of music do you play?

Personally though, unless your bridge pup has really died, i'd suggest spending more on a better amp, the tonal difference it will make will be much more. Or at the very least, save up more and upgrade to a decent amp.

I've been playing a lot of Metallica recently but like to dip in Led Zep, Deep Purple, Ozzy Osbourne etc. (probably set my sights a bit too high when it comes to solos!)

Would you not recommend the Blackstar then? Ideally I want a combo for under £300 and couldn't decide between the ID:30 and the Roland Cube 80gx but if you have better suggestions I'm all ears. I could probably go over £300 now I've got my ridiculously expensive wedding out the way!

I'm borrowing the Marshall by the way, it's not a bad amp but I doubt I would recommend it to anyone.
I'd try the Steam Hammer had one in my BC Rich and sounded awesome for a pickup under £30.
Only got rid of it to put an SD Black Winter in. I'd recommend the Blackstar, I've got the ID:15 for night time playing because my Bugera has no headphone output, and It's a decent wee amp.
Gear

B.C Rich Wave Signature
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Schecter BlackJack ATX FR
Schecter Omen 7

Bugera 6262 212
Blackstar ID15 TVP
Quote by sh4yler
I've been playing a lot of Metallica recently but like to dip in Led Zep, Deep Purple, Ozzy Osbourne etc. (probably set my sights a bit too high when it comes to solos!)

Would you not recommend the Blackstar then? Ideally I want a combo for under £300 and couldn't decide between the ID:30 and the Roland Cube 80gx but if you have better suggestions I'm all ears. I could probably go over £300 now I've got my ridiculously expensive wedding out the way!

I'm borrowing the Marshall by the way, it's not a bad amp but I doubt I would recommend it to anyone.

About the amp... how loud do you need it to be? Gigging, band practice or jamming at home?
I only need the amp for playing at home at the moment but still want something pretty significant in terms of size/wattage. The Marshall is too loud (100 watts) so my headphones are constantly plugged in but I don't want something too small that's why I thought either the Blackstar or Roland 80gx would be a good shout in that price range.