So currently I have a crappy laney 20w solid state amp. Yes, its fine for bedroom and practice usage, but anytime I wanna get up on stage and play some overdriven type metallica (for example) songs, it-for obvious reasons- doesn't cut it. I have three questions regarding my next amp purchase. As you can probably tell by my current amp, ive never really invested any money into a good amp, so i need as much help as i can.
Budget: £300-450
Questions:
1.Solid state vs. tube:
So far ive kind of gathered that valve amps (or tube if youre American) sound better, record better and are louder. Ive also heard that SS amps are cheaper, sound like crap most of the time, but will never break. My question is, is it really worth investing in a tube amp? Any suggestions regarding what i play (metal) and my budget.
2.Stack vs combo:
Obviously combos are way more convenient. Take up less room and are more mobile blah blah. But ive started playing outdoor shows and I dont know if any combo in my budget will get heard. On the other hand, I dont know if my budget will stretch for a half stack good enough to be worth the purchase. Sidenote: Ive played through a marshall Mg stack and no way am I buying one (sorry marshall)
3.Peavey valveking+OD pedal:
Ive done some research and asked around and a common suggestion is a eavey valveking combo at £300 (50w) plus some sort of metal distortion or overdrive pedal. Would this be a sound investment, seems pretty likely i go for this at the moment. However, i still need deciding on the pedal so any help at all would be great.

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out
p.s I play a gibson sg special (stock) currently if that changes anything
Look at the Jet City JCA2212 combo

But "metal" is very generic and could mean anything from Judas Priest to Meshuggah can you be a bit more specific.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Look at the Jet City JCA2212 combo

But "metal" is very generic and could mean anything from Judas Priest to Meshuggah can you be a bit more specific.

Apologies. Like I said i play a lot of metallica but also a lot of Avenged sevenfold too, as well as the occasional alice in chains jam. Pretty varied but thats what im looking for in an amp. Ill look into the jet city
The VK would be OK, the Jet City would be better. The Jet City is a budget Soldano Hotrod Avenger+

Zakky Vengence uses a Jet City JCA100h live

Jerry Cantrell used Soldano SLO's for a lot of years

Actually you can get the JCA50h and the Harley Benton G212 vintage cab and you will have a great sounding rig that will last you years and is 100% gig able.

JCA 50h 250GBP
www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

Harley Benton G212 vintage (V30 speakers) 143GBP
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

You can get the JCA22h (20 watts) for 219GBP
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Jetr City + OD pedal for tube or Randall RG1503 for solid state. As an added bonus Randall works really well in bedroom too. 2x12 combo version wont have any trouble playing live and is in your budget from thomann.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Another one for Jet City. Good little amplifiers
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Stick with Laney. You could get a VC50 combo (combo version of the VH100r head) for about £250 off the bay. Its like the secret gem of the metal world because its out of production and not many people know its the 50w version of the VH100r
Metallistas -- keep your eyes open for a used (there are no "new") Atomic Reactor 212-50.

This isn't an amp, exactly. It's an oversized 2x12 closed-back ported speaker cab with a 50W tube (6L6-powered) power amp built in. The speakers are a pair of 200W Eminence special design 12" speakers and the cabinet itself is about 2/3rds of a 4x12 (it's about 20" x 30"). Unlike a 4x12, however, it's a good design for extended bass for extended-range guitars and just anyone who wants a lot more punch. It's the large one (center, back):

These were originally designed to run with the small bean-size modelers (M-Audio, Behringer, Pod, Vox) and there's a hot-swappable bay that can contain any of these (including the new Pod HD) if you want to use it that way.

There's also a 112-50 version if you need something more compact.

If your current amp has a line out (or an FX Loop Out), you can run a cable direct to this. Your 20W combo now has some serious grunt when you want it. Oh, and there's a master volume on it as well, in case you don't need *quite* as much...
Quote by Pyro Bates
Stick with Laney. You could get a VC50 combo (combo version of the VH100r head) for about £250 off the bay. Its like the secret gem of the metal world because its out of production and not many people know its the 50w version of the VH100r

And is it all tube or solid state? I do like laney as its fun to get that black sabbath sound
Quote by dspellman
Metallistas -- keep your eyes open for a used (there are no "new") Atomic Reactor 212-50.

This isn't an amp, exactly. It's an oversized 2x12 closed-back ported speaker cab with a 50W tube (6L6-powered) power amp built in. The speakers are a pair of 200W Eminence special design 12" speakers and the cabinet itself is about 2/3rds of a 4x12 (it's about 20" x 30"). Unlike a 4x12, however, it's a good design for extended bass for extended-range guitars and just anyone who wants a lot more punch. It's the large one (center, back):

These were originally designed to run with the small bean-size modelers (M-Audio, Behringer, Pod, Vox) and there's a hot-swappable bay that can contain any of these (including the new Pod HD) if you want to use it that way.

There's also a 112-50 version if you need something more compact.

If your current amp has a line out (or an FX Loop Out), you can run a cable direct to this. Your 20W combo now has some serious grunt when you want it. Oh, and there's a master volume on it as well, in case you don't need *quite* as much...

An interesting idea! I need to look into it. U reckon they have them on ebay?
Quote by MaaZeus
Jetr City + OD pedal for tube or Randall RG1503 for solid state. As an added bonus Randall works really well in bedroom too. 2x12 combo version wont have any trouble playing live and is in your budget from thomann.

I like this idea. Any idea for the pedal?
Quote by Robbgnarly
The VK would be OK, the Jet City would be better. The Jet City is a budget Soldano Hotrod Avenger+

Zakky Vengence uses a Jet City JCA100h live

Jerry Cantrell used Soldano SLO's for a lot of years

Actually you can get the JCA50h and the Harley Benton G212 vintage cab and you will have a great sounding rig that will last you years and is 100% gig able.

JCA 50h 250GBP

Harley Benton G212 vintage (V30 speakers) 143GBP
www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

You can get the JCA22h (20 watts) for 219GBP

Ok cool thanks. Ive had a lot of reccomendations for jet city so i may have to make a purchase
The digitech bad monkey is a great cheap OD. set the level to max, gain at 0 and tone to your liking. This boosts the input signal and adds some saturation and compression without making the sound as muddy

And if you go the head and cab route, you can buy different heads and still have a good sounding cab to use with it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by IncognitoJoe
I like this idea. Any idea for the pedal?

Overdrive pedal? Digitech Bad Monkey is a reliable but cheap tubescreamer clone with 2 way EQ instead of tone knob. Boss SD-1 is also a popular choice, based on tubescreamer but bit different. They are cheap in used market.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 21, 2015,
Quote by IncognitoJoe
And is it all tube or solid state? I do like laney as its fun to get that black sabbath sound

all tube

but yeah if you want to go new the jet city + harley benton g212 vintage which rob suggested is the way to go, if you ask me.

you're aware that sometimes you have to change tubes and probably pay someone to bias it, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i thought you said metal, you havent named a metal band yet.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Pyro Bates

Great suggestion!
Quote by romeozdistress
i thought you said metal, you havent named a metal band yet.

Whippersnapper!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by IncognitoJoe

As mentioned above it is all tube. Two 6L6 or EL34 (depending on bias) and 6 ecc83-12ax7.

Its a serious amp and the return level knob on the back makes it great for getting good tones at low volume
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Whippersnapper!

lol
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
haha whatever.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A