I'm wanting to move into tube amps but I'm not 100% sure what I should get. I have a marshall mg 100hdfx half stack and I know a lot of people think it's crap. I came into this amp because I gave my friend some money and he gave me that amp in return. At the moment my thought is to trade in/sell the mg 100hdfx and keep the cabinet (M412A). What I would like to do is buy a tube amp for the cabinet and eventually upgrade the cab to maybe something like an avatar cab (I've heard good things). I was looking at the Peavey 6505+ but I've heard through other forums that some people feel it's good for metal and really doesn't have variety. Anyways I'm aware of peoples thoughts on the amp I have but I think getting a tube amp might even make the cab sound better until I can get a better cab. I want a tube amp that can provide variety. I play metal and like to learn metal such as August Burns Red, As I lay Dying, Polyphia and more but I also 100% love to play Hendrix, Clapton, Zeppelin :P So a tube amp head that can provide variety would be nice.

Let me know what you thinK. Can I run a tube amp head through a M412A? It would be until I can save up to get a better cab :P

P.S. I'm going to get this as a graduation present as I told my family I would rather have something for my guitar rather than an expensive ring.

Thank You,
brandon
What is your budget and are you in the USA?

Yes you cab use your cab, it is not the best, but it will work fine. Just make sure you match the ohms correctly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
What is your budget and are you in the USA?

Yes you cab use your cab, it is not the best, but it will work fine. Just make sure you match the ohms correctly

Yes, I'm in the USA and my budget is in the $900 range. The ohms on the cab is 8 ohms. What do you recommend based off of my budget?
Used Marshall DSL head (50w or 100w)
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Why Marshall DSL over the Peavey 6505+? Just curious. I want to get a metal sound but I don't want to sacrifice a bluesy Hendrix sound if that makes sense.
Quote by portugal.brando
Why Marshall DSL over the Peavey 6505+? Just curious. I want to get a metal sound but I don't want to sacrifice a bluesy Hendrix sound if that makes sense.

The JCM2000 DSL can do cleans, lowgain (Hendrix/zeppelin) and higain pretty nice

Also in that price range used is the Mesa dual/single recto, Laney VH100r, Krank rev+, Peavey JSX/XXX

The 6505+ is a nice amp, but it is very modern sounding so getting classic rock out of it is not gonna be that great
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The JCM2000 DSL can do cleans, lowgain (Hendrix/zeppelin) and higain pretty nice

Also in that price range used is the Mesa dual/single recto, Laney VH100r, Krank rev+, Peavey JSX/XXX

The 6505+ is a nice amp, but it is very modern sounding so getting classic rock out of it is not gonna be that great

I've looked a little at the JCM2000 I will have to look at it more. WHat about the Peavey 3120 120W?
Quote by portugal.brando
I've looked a little at the JCM2000 I will have to look at it more. WHat about the Peavey 3120 120W?

It's a rebranded XXX. Pretty Recto like. Has a decent clean channel though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
looks like a Marshall DSL 100 or a JCM2000 would be a good bet. With the right settings and petals I could probably get a pretty good metal sound out of it for stuff like August Burns Red. Hard decision because I was looking to get a PRS SE as I have a Epiphone Les Paul atm. I think a new head for my cab would make a bigger difference overall though.
Last edited by portugal.brando at Feb 21, 2015,
Quote by portugal.brando
looks like a Marshall DSL 100 or a JCM2000 would be a good bet. With the right settings and petals I could probably get a pretty good metal sound out of it for stuff like August Burns Red. Hard decision because I was looking to get a PRS SE as I have a Epiphone Les Paul atm. I think a new head for my cab would make a bigger difference overall though.

If you go that route, get the older JCM2000 DSL50 or 100 don't get the new DSL100, they are not the same and the new DSL series is nowhere near as good as the JCM2000 series
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you go that route, get the older JCM2000 DSL50 or 100 don't get the new DSL100, they are not the same and the new DSL series is nowhere near as good as the JCM2000 series

Alright I didn't know that thank you I just found one called a Egnater Renegade 65w and this may sound like a dumb questions but is the Egnater I mentioned ALL tube? Unlike others I have looked at it doesn't say ALL tube. If it's not all tube what is it? Thoughts on this amp as well?

Link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/egnater-renegade-65w-tube-guitar-amp-head
Yeah the Renegade is all tube
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah the Renegade is all tube

Alright cool sorry for the stupid question lol. Only thing I've heard people complain about is reliability but these were people who are in touring bands which I'm not but they did say it's very versatile. Now I have some amp heads to look at