Hey fellas,

Thought I'd share my birthday present with you guys:

I won't go crazy with pics, as you've all probably seen these before. This was a gift from my mother-in-law (some mother-in-laws are very cool)! I had told my wife about it and she passed it along. Anyway, I'd been wanting a smaller, lighter head to take when I work out of town and/or when teaching lessons. Plus, I just wanted something with some versatility over my 6505+ rig (not selling that anytime soon, however).

Anyway, here's my review after about a week of owning it:

I have run it through my 412 cab w/ Eminence Governors/Swamp Thangs and also the 112 cab I made from my 6505+ 112 after converting it into a head. Obviously, the bigger cab sounds better, as I still have the Sheffield in my 112 cab.

First off, I have to say the Peavey amp models are the best, which is not surprising. The 6505 model actually sounds pretty close. However, it still does not hold a candle to the real thing, if that makes any sense. I've dialed in a preset pretty close to how I have my 6505+ set, and at low volumes, it's nice because it sounds pretty much the same as high-volume. However, when I A/B it with the real 6505+, and begin to turn the 6505+ up, that's where the modeling falls short. The real thing just has more harmonic detail and the louder it goes, the more crushing it gets. At high volumes, it just has way more balls but also clarity on the higher frequencies. I remain unconvinced that modelers can compete with all-tube amps; though I realize this is a budget modeler.

It has been fun to mess around with the Plexi model as well, but honestly, again, my 6505+ sounds better for that tone on the green channel with the gain turned down.

My favorite clean model is the Fender Twin model. It has been fun to add a little tremelo effect as well as some reverb. I cannot get cleans that good out of my 6505+. Ultimately, I'm not real big on effects, other than reverb and delay. But it's kind of fun to play around with the Vypyr's many effects.

Ultimately, if I had gotten this amp 10 years ago I would have been blown away. It really is the best solid-state amp I've ever owned. For someone looking to get decent tones on a budget, I would highly recommend the Vypyr. If anything, it could educate the user on what REAL tube amp to buy later on. However, as my ears have matured and developed a more refined taste for tone, I can definitely tell the difference between this and the real thing. I will say that most of the distortion tones sound better than any solid state amp w/ a distortion pedal, at least that I've heard.

I'll probably keep this awhile, but eventually I'll try to get a small tube head with a more dedicated tone. I'm liking the looks of Peavey's new Classic 20 MH....
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
HNAD

Good review. Pretty spot on. Have you had a chance to try a Vypyr tube 60?

I'm usually in Recto red or Diezel red. I can show you how to remove those bat wings or snake fangs or whatever they are if you are interested. Actually - you converted a 6505+ combo to a head so I'm sure you could figure it out

Have fun!
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Feb 21, 2015,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
HNAD

Good review. Pretty spot on. Have you had a chance to try a Vypyr tube 60?

I'm usually in Recto red or Diezel red. I can show who to remove those bat wings or snake fangs or whatever they are if you are interested. Actually - you converted a 6505+ combo to a head so I'm sure you could figure it out

Have fun!

Yeah, out of those two I prefer the Diezel red. The Recto just doesn't really sound like a Recto, in my opinion. But I may have just not dialed it in yet. Do you use any of the stompbox models like the tubescreamer with any of the red models? I've found that it sounds better the stompboxes bypassed, including the 6505 model.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I used to wonder about those. Does it get pretty loud for 30 watts?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Kail - I never use the stompboxes or boosts. Just the amps models themselves.

And for me, I didn't buy nor play the Vypyr because they sound exactly like the amps they model. I just like the amp models for what they are and enjoy them that way.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Kail - I never use the stompboxes or boosts. Just the amps models themselves.

And for me, I didn't buy nor play the Vypyr because they sound exactly like the amps they model. I just like the amp models for what they are and enjoy them that way.

Yeah. I didn't think the Recto model sounded anything like the real thing, but still badass in its own right

Actually, I remember being the most disappointed with the Peavey models than anything
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Robbgnarly
I used to wonder about those. Does it get pretty loud for 30 watts?

Yes, it gets quite loud. Gig-worthy, I think. However, I do have very efficient speakers in my big cab -- Eminence Governors and Swamp Thangs; I think anything would be loud through that cab.

On a side note, I think I finally got the Recto model dialed-in. It sounds great -- might be my favorite high-gain model now. Today was the first day I really got to turn it up loud -- loving it more and more all the time! As with most any amp, it sounds better louder.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
HNAD!
I'm yet to find a better allround solution for practice, writing and general studio use than this amp. +1 for the Diezel model.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A