My Yamaha A1R has a cracked bridge. It's a hairline crack and doesn't seem to be affecting anything so far but it goes across all of the holes. I was thinking of glue-ing it but I know eventually it will probably need replaced. The hole on the high e-string is very tight and I couldn't get the pin all the way in so that's likely what caused the crack. It still plays fine and holds tune fairly well. I've looked at some videos and tutorials on replacing the bridge and I think it's something I can handle myself. Problem is I can't find anyone that sells a replacement bridge for this guitar, even after several web searches. Any suggestions?
A picture so we can see the damage? I've restrung my guitars many many times and never cracked my bridge with a pin.
I fixed a cracked bridge by installing horizontal dowels - bamboo skewer, which is very strong - through the width of the bridge. I drilled the holes with the drill bit attached to a long extension so I could reach it from the back. The extension was another bamboo skewer with a piece of brass tube (obtained form the model builder's shop) on the end, and used in a hand drill.

If you try this, mask up the whole are well to reduce the risk of mechanical and glue damage.

FWIW, I make sure that all my bridge pins are a drop-in fit. I think that tight pins, ala Martin, are an accident waiting to happen. - As you have discovered.
Took a few pics with my webcam but can't figure out how to post them on here.
Quote by rohash
Took a few pics with my webcam but can't figure out how to post them on here.

You have to post them to a photo hosting site such as Flickr (as in my sig), then click on the image to open it, resize it if necessary, to get the image URL, that is *.jpg. You then right click on the pic to get "copy image URL", and copy and paste that into the message using the "insert image" icon above the message box.

It sounds complicated, but you soon get the idea.
Use a small round file (or you can roll a piece of sandpaper into a cylinder to make a file) to widen the hole -take it slow and use the pin from time to time to check.

Then mix up a little epoxy resin and push into the crack to fill it, wipe off any excess and allow to set overnight.
Quote by Garthman
Use a small round file (or you can roll a piece of sandpaper into a cylinder to make a file) to widen the hole -take it slow and use the pin from time to time to check.

Then mix up a little epoxy resin and push into the crack to fill it, wipe off any excess and allow to set overnight.

Thanks! I think I'm gonna try that first before I undergo a bridge change. I'd have to order the special clamps to change the bridge and find somewhere that sells a replacement bridge that I haven't found yet. So far the crack doesn't seem to be affecting anything but it worries me that it goes across all the holes.
Quote by rohash
Thanks! I think I'm gonna try that first before I undergo a bridge change. I'd have to order the special clamps to change the bridge and find somewhere that sells a replacement bridge that I haven't found yet. So far the crack doesn't seem to be affecting anything but it worries me that it goes across all the holes.

You're welcome. Don't worry too much about the crack going across the pin holes - when a bridge cracks that's usually where it goes. The glue trick should sort the problem for ever.

Oh - a little of the resin might possibly leach into the pin holes - if so you can use the file (or sandpaper) to gently remove it after it's set.