Just curious how my fellow bass players that use fx level them. I've been doing it by ear and it's worked fine. But I'd like to really fine tune it. I've thought about running my pedal board into reaper and using a db meter to do that. Thoughts/suggestions?
Bad idea, imho. Unless you A-weighted the the signal before measuring it on a dB meter, you'd not be factoring the likely vastly different frequency content of each pedal against the way that the sound is going to be perceived by your ear. Additionally, distortion/fuzz/drive pedals are also going to be compressing the signal, so you're going to get less drastic peaks in the signal of audio which has been affected in that way, effectively meaning that you'd likely not perceive them as being equal in volume, even if the dB meter suggested that they were.

I've never had a problem with using my ear to level off my pedals, personally. In isolation, a pedal might sound more or less equal in volume to the clean signal, but create a perceived drop in volume in the context of a band mix. The best way is to get a rough idea in isolation, and then fine-tune on the fly during a practice/soundcheck.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
Last edited by Ziphoblat at Feb 23, 2015,
What he said.^ I've found out (often the hard way) that the sound you dial in alone, during band practice, and at a gig can be very different from each other to obtain a usable sound.
Quote by Ziphoblat
Bad idea, imho. Unless you A-weighted the the signal before measuring it on a dB meter, you'd not be factoring the likely vastly different frequency content of each pedal against the way that the sound is going to be perceived by your ear. Additionally, distortion/fuzz/drive pedals are also going to be compressing the signal, so you're going to get less drastic peaks in the signal of audio which has been affected in that way, effectively meaning that you'd likely not perceive them as being equal in volume, even if the dB meter suggested that they were.

I've never had a problem with using my ear to level off my pedals, personally. In isolation, a pedal might sound more or less equal in volume to the clean signal, but create a perceived drop in volume in the context of a band mix. The best way is to get a rough idea in isolation, and then fine-tune on the fly during a practice/soundcheck.

Thanks a lot mate. I've got my rig setup at practice, but I have been concerned about how it will change live. Just trying to keep from pissing off the sound guy.