Hi. I was just wondering if anyone knows of some trick to get rid of hum in a DAW. It's more of a curiosity really, but I was thinking that there may be something out there similar to an impulse response sim but for duplicating and phase shifting hum. It would need to do this in sync with the original signal to work. Passive humbuckers only get you so far with lots of distortion, and you shouldn't have to use actives to do this I think.

Is there another way to do this? I have experimented with noise gates, EQing and other stuff, but it's far from perfect. In theory, the phase shifting thing should be far less destructive to the frequencies you want to hear- unless there is some kind of complication?
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
If I undestood you correctly, then if a noise gate can't help you, you should do something with your instrument, not with software.
Yes but... everything that removes hum also removes music from your tracks. The best approach is to eliminate hum before it hits the mic and avoid printing it to your tracks. Find the source of hum and crush it!
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Your DAW probably comes with a noise cancellation plugin of some kind, in Reaper it's ReaFir, dunno what it is in anything else but just have a look in your plugin library or search it on the internet.

Noise cancellation can never be a substitute for good practice though, and you may need to combine that with a gate if you've got a particular problem on an existing recording. Effective EQing can also go a long way to minimise unavoidable noise.
Thanks for the info! I'm seeing that phase shifting isn't the miraculous noise cancelling solution I thought it could be. Also, thanks for suggesting ReaFir- I always used ReaEQ and overlooked it before.

For anyone who may be interested, I did some more reading and I found that you can use phase shifting for noise cancellation in other applications like recording vocals. Rather than something like a VST plugin, it involves recording another "noise" track which just involves the singer standing in the same place, doing nothing for the entire length of the recording. Then, you match the phase with the noise on the original out of phase and it supposedly works. Any variation in the noise signals messes it up, so it has to be consistent. With electric guitar, I think it would become a lot more complicated because the hum changes constantly depending on how you are touching the instrument.
Quote by Jesus
Quote by monwobobbo
are you sure you don't have a bad ground on your guitar?

yes
Quote by Jesus