Hi everyone, I have a few questions I'm hoping I can get some direction on about my amp.
I currently own a used Peavey Vypyr Tube 60. I'm a new player so I liked the idea behind the modeling amps, but I find that I usually just stick to two types of dirty sounds. A little overdriven for blues and a lot of distortion for metal.

I do live in the states and have access to a variety of music stores in my area. I do not gig, sometimes jam with 1 friend on another guitar or a base. The room that I play in is very small so I would really like to find something that sounds the same if the volume is at 2 or 7. Is that possible? Does a tube or solid state make a difference in this area?

With that said, I've been wondering if a non modeling amp in the $400 - $600 range would sound a lot better and be worth the upgrade? Would I be better off looking for a solid state due to the size of my room? It's probably about an 8ft x 10ft room. Any specific brands / models come to mind in this price range?
You being a beginner and wanting to spend that money only, I'd definitely keep the vypyr.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Yeah, I'd keep the vypyr. It is a good solid amp that can cover a lot of ground and it sounds good on top of that. And you might not use the other amp sounds or FX right now, but having them so you can experiment is a great feature.

Maybe you should look at a new guitar since your wanting to spend some money. 8Whay is your current guitar?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

Maybe you should look at a new guitar since your wanting to spend some money. 8Whay is your current guitar?

I'm happy with my guitar, was just wondering if I would get more from a different amp, that would be noticeably better than my current amp. I do like my amp, I'm just in that exploratory phase being a new player and looking for advice from more experienced players.
agree that keeping the vypyr is a good plan. to answer your other ? no an amp won't sound exactly the same at volumes that far apart. as the volume goes up certain overtones etc become more apparent. this is a lesson that has to be learned when going from bedroom volume to band volume. you will have to make some eq adjustments as well as restructure your gain or you end up with an unhappy mess tone wise.
Quote by basudz
I'm happy with my guitar, was just wondering if I would get more from a different amp, that would be noticeably better than my current amp. I do like my amp, I'm just in that exploratory phase being a new player and looking for advice from more experienced players.

It kind of depends what you mean by 'better'...

I'm assuming you don't mean louder, but we do need some more info, on what you would like, and how you feel your current setup is failing to deliver.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by basudz

well that is a really good amp to explore with. once you have a better handle on what exactly you want from an amp then perhaps you can move on.
The Sanpera I or II foot pedal would be good to look at getting for the Vypyr
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It kind of depends what you mean by 'better'...

I'm assuming you don't mean louder, but we do need some more info, on what you would like, and how you feel your current setup is failing to deliver.

Definitely not louder. I don't feel my current setup is failing in any sense of the way, I'm just wondering if spending that kind of money would allow for a better sound in tone / quality at lower volumes since I just play in a small room.
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Saves me money I've looked into the Sanpera foot pedals and they do look like a nice addition.
Quote by basudz
Thanks for the info and suggestions. Saves me money I've looked into the Sanpera foot pedals and they do look like a nice addition.

Yeah the II even has a looper which is a great learning tool
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I'd keep with your current amp until you start wanting to perform live. The Tube 60 has a great rep for modeling, probably one of the best you'll get tbh.

Once you do want a new amp, you might want to look into some of the tighter Peavey combos.

Tube amps generally do sound better than SS, but at low volumes (and when not performing) it's not that big of an issue.
What models do you use on the Vypyr?
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
I'm with the others, bank the money til you happen to stumble across an amp you fall in love with. No need to force it, just let it happen.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Can't you go to some guitar stores and try some other amps? Is there anything at all that you DON'T like about your current amp? What specific types of music do you play?

That said, I have a Vypyr 60 and I think it is a damn fine modeling amp for the money. I'm honestly not sure you can find something better in the that price range but there are those here that can help (including me).
quick someone check the temperature in hell. a thread about getting a new amp where everyone pretty much said don't. this has to be a first.
Quote by monwobobbo
quick someone check the temperature in hell. a thread about getting a new amp where everyone pretty much said don't. this has to be a first.

Well, I live in Cleveland, that's pretty close, and it's currently -10° with the windchill. I really wish someone would suggest this guy a new amp already damn it!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ sucks to live there, it was a nice 80f here today, I even spent 3 hours on the beach having beers with a surprising amount of hot bikini's around
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
^^ Monwobobbo

Having just acquired a Vypyr 30 (which probably doesn't even sound as good as a Vypyr Tube like TS has), I have to agree with everyone else -- he doesn't need a new amp until he is certain about which tonal direction he needs. Vypyrs sound damn good for the price.

My recommendation for TS would be to decide on which high-gain model he prefers, and then investigate the real thing -- because the real version will be similar but better.

For example, the 6505 model on the Vypyr gives the user a pretty good representation of the basic tone a real 6505 would provide. But having owned a real 6505+ for some time now, and comparing it to the Vypyr's model, the real thing really is noticeably better.

After playing around with the Dual Rec model and really spending some time EQing it over the weekend -- I need to reconsider my stance on real Dual Recs. Methinks I might have to try one again...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Feb 23, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ sucks to live there, it was a nice 80f here today, I even spent 3 hours on the beach having beers with a surprising amount of hot bikini's around

Pffft! Bikinis are for pussies!
Quote by lucky1978
Pffft! Bikinis are for pussies!

i certainly hope so. guys wearing them just look stupid
Quote by monwobobbo

i laughed.

OP - why don't you go play some amps and see what you think yourself. you may find something you like better.

and as somebody said, what amp models are you using?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by monwobobbo

Is nice!
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'