Forgive my ignorance here, but I have a question on something someone told me once that stuck with me.

I use a boss sd-1 and wonder if I can use it on the overdrive channel on my tube amp to crank it a little bit extra without hurting the amp or the circuitry.
Someone told me once that if you use like a distortion pedal on an already distorted amp (like with the gain cranked on the overdrive channel) it could possibly fry some pots or something inside causing the amp to hum or fizz so you'd have to replace it.
Can someone shine a light on this for me once and for all? Thanks guys.
Long Live Rock n' Roll
^ +1

Many people use distortion boxes to boost an amp's dirty signal. I don't recommend high gain on top of high gain, however, unless that's the sound you want. You should do some research on tube amps and what distortion pedals do to your signal and to the tubes.

actually most amps have warheads in them, triggered by distortion boxes used on a dirty channel
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 22, 2015,
Thanks guys, I figured but something about the distortion on top of the gain cranked had me worried.
Awesome, thanks again! )
Long Live Rock n' Roll
Yeah, I never really crank the gain but I thought even as an extreme example it would be ok.
Long Live Rock n' Roll
It's only with the SD1. Once you turn the gain up past halfway the flux capacitor gets really hot and starts to melt the turbochamber bearings. Combine that with a high gain amp and the hyperthermal proton reactor can't handle the endorphins and the whole thing blows. I'd suggest an upgrade to a tubescreamer type pedal immediately! At least with those you only have to worry about radiation emissions.

Hope this helps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Feb 22, 2015,
Quote by lucky1978
It's only with the SD1. Once you turn the gain up past halfway the flux capacitor gets really hot and starts to melt the turbochamber bearings. Combine that with a high gain amp and the hyperthermal proton reactor can't handle the endorphins and the whole thing blows. I'd suggest an upgrade to a tubescreamer type pedal immediately! At least with those you only have to worry about radiation emissions.
i think what the folks that told you this were really talking about is feedback whcdih can result fron using an overdrive on an already overdriven amp. the eletronic part of it is nonsense of course.
I've used an overd4rive pedal with both the Super Reverb and the gain channel of a Peavey MX for over 20 years, never had a problem. Ran a Ibanez SD 9 distortion through the Peavey for a few years too, no troubles. It does tend to get muddy if you let the gain of either amp or pedal get out of hand, otherwise I've never had a problem, it will work.

For the high gain channel, I would set the gain on the pedal low so it acts as a boost, rather than adding more gain, then set the volume level so it gives you a louder signal for leads, which is my usual purpose for a pedal. I set mine differently, since I run a very clean signal. I use the overdrive (Marshall Bluesbreaker) to both increase volume for leads and add a little gain for some dirty. You can do the same here, but be careful with the gain, it will get muddy if you go overboard.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...