I'm taking lessons currently but due to a hectic schedule because to school and sports. Also I'm not seeing enough progression in my skills for the amount of time I've been taking. What would be the best way to progress in guitar with proper motivation and studying on my own.
Practice about 30 mins or more a day learn chords.go to Justin guitar .com for lessons
I been teaching my self guitar for 4 months and I still suck.it will take about 2 years before u even get good, u won't become a Hendrix in 5 months lol keep at it
Realize the longer you play, the slower progress comes. Progress comes in these giant leaps at first, but as we start to make headway, the hurdles can take longer and longer to realize.

30 minutes a day is a bare minimum recommendation. If you can swing an hour to an hour and a half, that's even better. Practice every day. No excuses.

Find songs that are difficult now. Set them aside and come back to them every month or two. As you improve, these songs should become easier and easier.

Find a website, such as this one or Justin Guitar and use it. This one is great for asking questions and getting answers, while JG is good for lesson material.

Finally... motivation. Each and every one of us has something in our daily lives that effects our ability to practice and improve. Take care of the people and items in your life that need attention, but also find time to work on your art. The more time you can commit to practice, the better you will become. While you may not become as good as a Satriani or Hendrix, there's no reason you can't become good enough to join a local band/group and have some fun. Only you can make that happen.
Quote by jkridesdirtbi
Also I'm not seeing enough progression in my skills for the amount of time I've been taking.

What is "enough"?

Arbitrary expectations are just that: arbitrary. Just relax, enjoy the ride and let it all come naturally.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Realize the longer you play, the slower progress comes. Progress comes in these giant leaps at first, but as we start to make headway, the hurdles can take longer and longer to realize.

I don't think so.
If you don't practice anytime the same thing i think the progress will not stop. Besides, according to some studies, you need at least 3 months of practice to have a long-term memory about a riff or whatever.
Quote by Noxrad
I don't think so.
If you don't practice anytime the same thing i think the progress will not stop. Besides, according to some studies, you need at least 3 months of practice to have a long-term memory about a riff or whatever.

I think you're missing the point. Think about this. When you first start playing, you know absolutely nothing. The first lesson you are given chords and maybe taught the notes on the neck to the third fret. You go from knowing nothing to knowing quite a bit more. As the weeks progress, it takes longer and longer to "make it over the next hurdle." How many times have you heard guys say that they've been playing for several months and they can't seem to get past playing a certain lick or song? That is the point I'm making. Visible progress can takes weeks or months, as we progress further into our journey to learn an instrument.
Depends on the person. Your teacher should be able to answer this. If they can't, then maybe try to find one that can.

Also, things take a long time. That's why kickass guitarists are so awesome. Because it is long and slow, and they went through that, and they have great musical ideas.

If it was easy, everybody would do it. It's not, and so that's why it has value.
Quote by jkridesdirtbi
I'm taking lessons currently but due to a hectic schedule because to school and sports.

This isn't a complete sentence. Have you had to stop? Can you only take one lesson a month? Are you going to have to stop soon?

These answers change what the answer to your question is.

Also, as noted above, we have no conception of what you mean by "enough progression", really the answer to this is... expecting a certain skill in a certain time frame is a pretty flawed idea anyway. Things take as long as they take. That said... don't use that as an excuse not to practice, because you won't be able to get anywhere without a good healthy chunk of good practice.

So really the questions are... how are you practising now? What are you trying to learn? Why can you not do it yet?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Basically just learn songs.

UG is a great tab site. Get a highly rated tab of a song you really like and learn it.
Quote by Virgman
Basically just learn songs.

UG is a great tab site. Get a highly rated tab of a song you really like and learn it.

Be prepared to listen for wrong notes/chords, even in highly rated tabs. I frequently find tabs rated a "5" by several users, only to find mistakes when I play it. Use the tabs on this site, but be advised they aren't always correct.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Be prepared to listen for wrong notes/chords, even in highly rated tabs. I frequently find tabs rated a "5" by several users, only to find mistakes when I play it. Use the tabs on this site, but be advised they aren't always correct.

Ya lol, people working with the tabs are often the same people that aren't easily earing stuff out without ever looking for any tabs, so, idk how much you could depend on their ratings.

Obviously that's not the case for everyone, but think of it this way.

If people wanted to accurately write down the letters on a seeing eye chart, but their vision wasn't good enough, so they looked up the answers on the internet, and then rated those answers, idk if you could trust the ratings. The guys with 20/20 vision would be a minority in that group.

This is actually what got me off tabs even as a noob. At first, before I learned anything about music, it would take me a little while to ear stuff out, so I would look for tabs for kind of a shortcut. But then I quickly realized that even with the tabs, I'd have to spend a while getting it right anyway, so I stopped using them.

Tabs are also very poor at actually teaching you anything about guitar, or music. They might get you to play something you want to play, but that's it really. Kind of like painting by numbers.

The best is roman numerals.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Feb 25, 2015,
Hi jkridesdirtbi

Having a good teacher is the best way to progress.

You should know exacly what you want, and then finds out what do you need to learn to achieve that goal. There's tone of diferent styles, techniques and all sort of things to master.
Don't spend time on the things you don't care about.
Quote by KG6_Steven

30 minutes a day is a bare minimum recommendation. If you can swing an hour to an hour and a half, that's even better. Practice every day. No excuses.

Consistency is the key. I'm very much a beginner but and I only manage about 30 minutes a day. Yes I'd improve faster with longer practice session but just keep chipping away at it and you'll soon notice improvements. Maybe not huge improvements but take pleasure in any progress.