So, recording this genre isn't hard, just switch guitars/amps, and keep on going. Live sound is a different story. I need to be able to do live sound before I record for obvious reasons.

Question is: is there a way to mod my acoustic to get distortion? I realize one could buy an acoustic pedal, and turn down the volume blah blah with the electric, but I need a raw acoustic sound for the songs, so the electric is not an option.

I have a Vox distortion pedal, I already plugged it into my acoustic amp, and it got some distortion, but it wasn't good at all. I was thinking if I buy an equalizer, or something I might be able to do something, yes or no?

There's no way I could plug my orange amp head into the acoustic is there? It's a modeling amp, so I figure no way, but if I could I think that would be fairly amazing.

Those are just ideas, if anyone has ever had similar thoughts, or other ideas, I'd love you forever.
You can plug an acoustic-electric into your amp, but it may not sound that great.

Adding distortion to acoustic almost always turns out really bad.

I know a guy who does a solo punk/hardcore thing. He uses no distortion at all and it sounds good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
You can plug an acoustic-electric into your amp, but it may not sound that great.

Adding distortion to acoustic almost always turns out really bad.

I know a guy who does a solo punk/hardcore thing. He uses no distortion at all and it sounds good.

That's what I want to do, but I like to screaming too, and for that I feel like I need a bit more punch. I've done it before on the ole Soundcloud, but I want to hear it with distortion.
Quote by Tony Done
A magnetic soundhole pickup might do the trick in a technical sense, but how it wold sound is another matter.

You mean like a fishmann pick up?
Quote by RamblinMan2450
That's what I want to do, but I like to screaming too, and for that I feel like I need a bit more punch. I've done it before on the ole Soundcloud, but I want to hear it with distortion.

He does absolutely fine with a regular acoustic guitar and no distortion. It actually gives some of the songs a different feel and that is a good thing. One thing he does that helps give him a bit of punch is he uses only a kick drum to add some depth.

Remember it like this, acoustic sounds good acoustically (maybe a touch of reverb/delay/chorus if you really want it). If your playing solo or duet distortion is going to sound weird, thin and out of place.

This is just the advice I have from 20+ years of playing and 15 yrs as a gigging musician that plays in a hardcore/punk band
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 23, 2015,
Cool cool, I appreciate the replies, and advice guys. As to the pick ups, I just saw seymour Duncan do some acoustic things, which I've never seen before, and obvy, I love that company, so I'll deff look into some more pickup options.

Otherwise, Taylor makes the T5 guitars, and not only would they be friendly for quick intricate riffs, but also, I think I saw a vid with the guitar coming with an overdrive preamp on it. Cool stuff.