Europe used to have a crazy game show, before it was cool. (SONGWRITING - Week 50)

Poll: Best song?
Poll Options
View poll results: Best song?
Song 1
4 31%
Song 2
0 0%
Song 3
3 23%
Song 4
3 23%
Song 5
0 0%
Song 6
2 15%
Song 7
1 8%
Voters: 13.
Page 1 of 3
Hi how are you I'm fine thanks for asking

Ah Jeux Sans Frontières, you are missed.

(For those not in the know, Jeux Sans Frontières (Games Without Frontiers, or Games Without Borders) was a Europe-wide television game show, featuring teams of different countries competing against each other. It was the shit.)

The objective of this thread is to vote on the song you like the most, but remember: don't base your vote on the quality of the recording, base it on the content.

Here they are:

1 - "Jerome" (mind_meld)

2 - "_|_|__|_|___|__|_|_|_|_||_|_" (Faux)

3 - "Back" (chev311e)

4 - "Seven To Four" (nico_9550)

5 - "Oh Why Don't You Love Me?" (boooysti)

6 - "Ones" (FoOltz)

7 - "I Am Jack's Plagiarized Song" (ultimate-slash, whywefight)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is last week's most voted song, from ultimate-slash, the song "It's Cold", with 5 votes!
------------------------------------------------------------------

If you too want to become a better songwriter/gigolo consider joining our group (http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/mozartfactory/), all the info you need to join this weekly "contest" is there.

The votes will be counted this Thursday. The winner of this week's voting will be a mod in our group.

------------------
A lovely game show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKmk5LATCs

Bonus:

Check out last week's thread here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1670423
Faux, chev311e, ultimate-slash/whywefight, I assumed that's how you wanted the titles, if you wanna change them just say so.
Yea I'm not ready to change yet.

Also I always feel like we have like three songs when the thread is being made and then all these songs come out of nowhere whn it gets posted. It's like Christmas morning
Last edited by chev311e at Feb 23, 2015,
BTW looking through the threads, participation has been crazy steady for a while now, for a while it was hard to even get 4 songs and now we've been pulling 5-7 pretty much every week
Quote by FoOltz
I couldn't decide whether to vote for Back or Jerome so I flipped a coin. Jerome won. Sorry chev311e, I hope we can still be friends.

why, thank you!
Quote by whywefight
You're good

I just realised I may have done you a disservice by providing vocals for your song. I am now not allowed to vote on the song and you've therefore effectively lost a potential vote.

I'm sorry.
1. ****. This reminds me of something (in a good way, not a plagiarised kinda way), but I really don't know what. Don't have any specific comments, just a really nice song.
2. First of all, that image reminds me of the teenage mutant ninja turtles because of the colours and stuff. I liked the song, especially the mix between the melodic part and the noisy part. No idea what's going for about half a minute after the 3 minute mark though
I also have to say that after about a minute and a half I was hoping there would be some drums or whatever, just to get away from the feeling of the song just being a very long intro.
3. Really like this. Your voice fits this song quite well. Again, no specific comments, just a really nice song.
4. Noice and mellow. I wasn't too sure about how the intro matched with the rest of the song, but it made a lot more sense when you went back to in the end. Perhaps the song's cohesiveness would be improved if you subtly played the melody from the intro at some points during the song. Love the trance-y lead towards the end, though.
5. Nice and simple. I do think this could benefit from a vocal line or some sort of melody. It feels like it's just part of a song at the moment. However, I do understand you might not have any tools do any form of multi-tracking or whatever at the moment.
6. That first vocal line reminded me of Mastodon. Really digging the chaotic vibe of this song. Vocals really fit that vibe as well.
7. Needed a bit more reverb on the vocals to make them blend in more actually.
Also, the vocals were totally not what came to mind when I first heard the song, so I'm still not quite sure how I came up with them

Now, who to vote for, who to vote for...
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Feb 23, 2015,
Slash did you smoke one before you went all rastafari on that song?

Voted for FoOltz' song because I loved the sort of ambient sound
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by ultimate-slash

4. Noice and mellow. I wasn't too sure about how the intro matched with the rest of the song, but it made a lot more sense when you went back to in the end. Perhaps the song's cohesiveness would be improved if you subtly played the melody from the intro at some points during the song. Love the trance-y lead towards the end, though.

Yeah after I had done the mellow part I was sure what to do with the intro so I decided to leave it and build up to it again in the end.

Quote by ultimate-slash
7. Needed a bit more reverb on the vocals to make them blend in more actually.
Also, the vocals were totally not what came to mind when I first heard the song, so I'm still not quite sure how I came up with them

edit: Voted for chev btw
My only problem with nico's is that it's called 'seven to four' instead of 'seven to four to seven'
Quote by mind_meld
Aw man I'm torn. I think chev311e will get my vote.

Thanks

I really enjoyed your song... sounded really 90s which is awesome. Keep submitting stuff, and I know you said you don't like to sing but I like your voice.

Also liked the melancholy feel of wwf/slash's song. Slash, those vocals really worked with the song.

Toss up between the two, but I think I'm leaning towards mind meld.

Quote by FoOltz
I couldn't decide whether to vote for Back or Jerome so I flipped a coin. Jerome won. Sorry chev311e, I hope we can still be friends.

I'll think about it....
Last edited by chev311e at Feb 23, 2015,
^Seriously though, what artist(s) is mind_meld's song reminiscent off? It reminds me of something in particular, but I can't remember what, and it's driving me nuts
Hmm I was thinking that too lol I heard a little bit of cranberries, Tracy bonham, Meredith brooks ... Etc mostly just female vocalists from the 90s haha
I thought of the cranberries too. I hate the cranberries though, but I liked the song
Quote by whywefight
I thought of the cranberries too. I hate the cranberries though, but I liked the song

...what?
Quote by ultimate-slash
^Seriously though, what artist(s) is mind_meld's song reminiscent off? It reminds me of something in particular, but I can't remember what, and it's driving me nuts

I was listening to this basically on repeat before I wrote it, not sure if you'll hear the connection (mainly just the verse though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcYu5Vg_YH8
Voted for mind_meld. Had her song stuck in my head for the last 24 hours.

Also, me and semiquaver are definitely coming back next week, we started working on our song today
Quote by sickman411
Voted for mind_meld. Had her song stuck in my head for the last 24 hours.

Also, me and semiquaver are definitely coming back next week, we started working on our song today

1. "Jerome" - Everything sounds...well, good. The track is mellow and simple, the guitar tone is pleasant, your voice sounds good (I like the angry part in the middle), no real complaints. The drums sound fake and I feel like the voice doesn't blend with the rest of the song. But they're not major issues. Maybe a different soundfont for the drums would help. As far as the vocal part goes not really sure what it is, maybe it's too dry, maybe the voice is too high in the mix or maybe it's because I'm listening to the song with headphones, who knows. VOTED

2. Underlining bars - The part around ~3:00 would sound great if the production was more 'in your face'. Anyway, this kind of stuff has potential. With some reversed echo, delay, backwards guitar parts, multiple guitar lines and...I'm giving away too much stuff But that's just how I'd do it, don't listen to me.

3. "Back" - Pretty typical song from you (I don't know how to phrase it so that it doesn't sound like a bad thing). At first I though it was okay but it really got my attention when that first solo started. The thing I don't like is the part from ~2:27 with all that singing. This is pretty much a production problem, there's all that stuff going on at once that it's hard to focus on something and in the end nothing stands out in that part. It sounds like a train wreck, and while it's ok if that's what you were aiming for it's still a little odd because the song is pretty clean-cut and all of a sudden it goes into this avant-garde / psychedelic / experimental thing. BUT overall a great song, and once again great solo.

4. "Seven to Four" - All those guitar playing together made it sound like some Iron Maiden stuff or I don't know some 80s heavy metal. That change at ~4:10 sounds a little abrupt but before I say anything else I want to state that I HATE tempo changes (I can't work with them, it's hard to write parts that could go from one tempo to another and overall they're a drag) HOWEVER I don't mind hearing them in songs (I just hate doing them) so that transition at ~1:00 is actually pretty smooth (and the fact that the part sounds really good helped a lot). There's a drum beat in the middle of the song that sounds like someone poking the microphone to check if it works, didn't like that. Not because it's bad on it's own but because it distracted me from hearing the wonderful stuff that was still going on in the background.

5. "Oh Why Don't You Love Me?" - Have you tried singing? Or give the song a melody line somehow, blending electric with acoustic, I don't know...

6. "Ones" - That change to the acoustic part sounds a little abrupt but the actual part sounds really good (as well as the outro). I like that guitar playing in the back at ~1:45. Great stuff. Ow, and the heavy part in the middle of the song made me think of 'House of Metal' (Chelsea Wolfe).

7. "I Am Jack's Plagiarized Song" - I like those sound effects over the acoustic guitar and that 'chorus rhyme' thing made me smile. It's like you didn't really gave a **** when you wrote that but it's okay since it's funny. Now, the part I don't like: it doesn't lead to anything. It stays the same the whole time and it manages to build some suspense but it's frustrating because there's no explosion, or bombastic outro or a quiet solo or ...anything. It just left me there...standing...waiting...hoping.
House of metal is a brilliant song. Accidentally ripped it off once, and also I made a pretty convincing duplicate of the intro once and put it on SoundCloud
Quote by whywefight
House of metal is a brilliant song.

Good, good. You're starting to redeem yourself after the 'Cranberries incident'.
Maybe it was intentional to leave you there.. standing... waiting... hoping... man

We were challenging the system man, and the concept of song structure itself man

Ya know man
Tbh he's not wrong about the song not going anywhere, but I think in a lot of ways my favorite part of comments like those is that they also shed a lot of light on the songwriting process of the person that makes that comment. Like, sirzep would've added a solo or a quiet section or a huge outro, I would've just kept adding vocal tracks until the song stops, ultimate-slash blazes it up and goes all rasta. All good stuff

That's something I like about cover weeks too. It's interesting to see how people approach things

Oh one more thing, I didn't add hardly any effects on any of the instruments in that song, except for some reverb haha.
Last edited by whywefight at Feb 26, 2015,
Quote by SirZep
The drums sound fake and I feel like the voice doesn't blend with the rest of the song.
Because they are and it doesn't. I want to work on rhythm and mixing tbh.
drums are always a problem

so are vocals

the only difference is that you can't buy addictive drums for your voice

you can't even make foltz buy that shit

the joke is that foltz bought addictive drums and I said I'd pay for half and I haven't yet

but it probably evens out or w/e
Last edited by whywefight at Feb 26, 2015,
Quote by whywefight
my favorite part of comments like those is that they also shed a lot of light on the songwriting process of the person that makes that comment.

Well I always manage to make these song 'reviews' about ME
Page 1 of 3