I'm thinking about buying a marshall amp. I usually play classic rock stuff like Free, Bad company, zeppeling, ac/dc. I need it for small gigs and home practice. Anything within 300 usd?
AVT 275 combo used. Look on ebay. Best hybrid amp ever built IMHO.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Any Marshall amp in that price range is going to suck( except one), but there are some other company's that make great amps for what you want

Peavey Windsor studio is very Marshall plexi/JCM800
Peavey VTM60 if you can find one used
Marshall MOSFET100
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Peavey Windsor is a Marshall style tube amp and cheap as peanuts in used market. Like JCM800 it is at its best in loud volumes but it can work in bedroom just fine. Just mind the volume knob, its sensitive.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Feb 23, 2015,
^ the Windsor also has a built-in attenuator, foot switchable boost and FX loop.

I bought mine used a few years ago for $170 shipped to my door from Guitar Center
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Free?
Bad company?
Zeppelin?

Get a high gain Jet City combo and a big muff.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ the Windsor also has a built-in attenuator, foot switchable boost and FX loop.

I bought mine used a few years ago for $170 shipped to my door from Guitar Center

Isnt it just the same "texture" knob Valveking has? Its effect on volume is practically non existent, its all for sound flavor.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
The best Marshall amp for your style and in your price range...isn't a Marshall.

Note the suggestions above (except for the AVT 275, you can ignore that one).

Don't get hung up on the nameplate, look for the tone you need, not the brand.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
about the windsor, is it true that that amp is about as reliable as a behringer? I always hear people say thats the reason they are so cheap despite sounding so good, and so their used as studio amps. if its true, then it might not be an amp for gigging.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Is the Marshall Class 5 worth looking into? Ive seen it around 300, but I don't have any exp with it. I've enjoyed my time with Peavey Amps, years ago I fell in love with Vintage 30, but that's a bit outside the price range, I think.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
Is the Marshall Class 5 worth looking into? Ive seen it around 300, but I don't have any exp with it. I've enjoyed my time with Peavey Amps, years ago I fell in love with Vintage 30, but that's a bit outside the price range, I think.

I have both Windsor and Class5. Class5 is like the Plexi, Windsor is more like jcm800 but has a bit of a more buzzy low fi tone. Broke down in its first month, burned some kind of fuse on the inside, at least that's what the tech said. After the replacement which took 2months wait (thanks Peavey!) I haven't had issues but it was a backup amp, so didn't see heavy use, my JCM900 did work for 2years without fail so this one was played through few times at rehearsal.
I had a Class 5 combo for a couple of years. I think the reason why I didn't like it was the fact the cabinet it was built in (as great as it looked) didn't sound too good. (IMO of course). I've tried out the heads and I've liked them and will probably end up with one on down the road. They're alright amps for the most part. Keep in mind that it's the text book definition of a bare-bones amp.
Quote by MaaZeus
Isnt it just the same "texture" knob Valveking has? Its effect on volume is practically non existent, its all for sound flavor.

no it actually lowers the output
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bustapr
about the windsor, is it true that that amp is about as reliable as a behringer? I always hear people say thats the reason they are so cheap despite sounding so good, and so their used as studio amps. if its true, then it might not be an amp for gigging.

No they are a solid little combo, I've been rocking one for almost 2 years (and it was used) with no issues.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I have the Marshall mc(insertrandomletterhere)x 100wtt solid state combo (4x12 cab) that I paid 350 usd for back in the day.

sounds great, plenty of options for tone sculpting, and plenty loud for anything most recreational players/occasional gigging are going to do.

Best of luck with your search, have fun!
Quote by jakegrape
I have the Marshall mc(insertrandomletterhere)x 100wtt solid state combo (4x12 cab)

If this is the MG100HDFX it, IMHO, doesn't sound much better then a Spyder III. Which, is definitely not what the TS wants.

TS: I'd Recommend you look into a Jet City, specifically the JCA20HV. very Plexi-ish. The JCA20 and JCA22 are great as well but are voiced different.
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Feb 23, 2015,
^ You mean MG, and those amps are horrible

I'd take a spider over an MG anyday They aren't great, but they are much better than most here give them credit for
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 23, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
^ You mean MG, and those amps are horrible

I'd take a spider over an MG anyday They aren't great, but they are much better than most here give them credit for

I can't see the amp in question being "horrible" by any means, it's no tube amp and it's definitely not the best sounding solid state in the world, but I can get pretty great tone with it by adjusting the little knobs on the front

That being said, it's not what I play through if I'm gonna play in front of people these days!
2014 Fender Classic Players Strat (60th anniversary reissue)
2011 Ibanez Prestige JC1750
Fender Frontman 212
Laney GH120
Marshall MGDFX 100
Pedal stuffs too
Quote by jakegrape
I can't see the amp in question being "horrible" by any means, it's no tube amp and it's definitely not the best sounding solid state in the world, but I can get pretty great tone with it by adjusting the little knobs on the front

That being said, it's not what I play through if I'm gonna play in front of people these days!

Everybody has their own opinion but IMO, if we were to compile a list of the Top 10 crappy amps, the MG would take the first 3 places handily...

And yes, I own one.

It's tolerable as a backing track PA.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
A used, Egnater Rebel would probably be perfect for you. On the 20, clean tone gets pretty gritty when keeping up with drums but its incredibly versatile in every way, and the Marshall growl (mid-gain) is what it does best. There's also the Renegade if you want more watts. Also, check out the Randall RM series.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Thanks for the suggestion guys

One thing I can't seem to find AVT marshall in India.
Last edited by Antariksh90 at Feb 25, 2015,
Marshall MG. Best amp in the price range and probably the entire Marshall line.
Ibanez Art100 (DiMarzio Evo in bridge)
Epiphone Goldtop (SD Black Winters
6505+ Head
Avatar 2x12 (Eminence Gov/Swamp Thang)
Hey guys I tried to find but I can't most of the amps mentioned in India

Something which is affordable in India you guys could suggest
What's going on with all the people recommending AVTs & MGs? I often defend them as being not as bad as people make out, but they definitely shouldn't be getting recommended!

TS - ignore any recommendation for a Marshall in your budget.

I don't believe you mentioned your location earlier in the thread, obviously not everything is available internationally.

My first choice recommendation would be Jet City, however I have no idea if they'd be available to you. To recreate the sound you want though, it could be worth looking at a Peavey Vypyr, especially if you can get hold of one of the Tube models.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by AsOneIStand
Marshall MG. Best amp in the price range and probably the entire Marshall line.

Quote by GaryBillington
What's going on with all the people recommending AVTs & MGs? I often defend them as being not as bad as people make out, but they definitely shouldn't be getting recommended!

TS - ignore any recommendation for a Marshall in your budget.

whoosh!
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I love my Windsor head. I think the studio combo would be better for your needs. I think the studio has the built in attenuator
Quote by bustapr
whoosh!

TS was believing it.

It's OK to joke about this stuff when everyone knows the score, but in threads like this there's a risk that someone may actually buy the amp that was recommended as a joke. And I'm not convinced all the recommendations were done jokingly.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud