This is just something that I have been "thinking about".
Little background on me...
I've got a squire strat korea, the frets are terrible on it, but have managed to learn some chords and some hand movements and endurance.
I learn some with rocksmith 2014.
I emulated the bass and fell for it, it was much funner then most of the guitar stuff I was taught by it.

I like a powerfull bass that can stand with the guitars, loud/more 6 stringer sound, but with some sound that still says its a bass, or more on the bass side, but powerfull.

I like the thought of 6 string because I don't have money to go 4 then 5-6
I could possibly play it a bit like a guitar... not sure what else I should say at this point.
In cold company - minus the bear, I thought I sounded like a pissed off bass at some points, loved it.
As long as you understand that a six-string bass is not a baritone guitar (the original Fender Bass VI was, but that is a different instrument altogether), then by all means, get yourself a six-string. The six-string bass was designed primarily for bassists to make the bass more of a solo instrument, but because it is tuned like a regular electric bass, you can play anything from a four-string or a five-string bass on it.

Once you get to playing on that high "C" string, you are definitely reaching into guitar territory. Some bassists like it and make great use of it; others do not. Your best bet is to try one and see if it is the instrument for you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Pretty much what FatalGear said. Don't use a 6 string bass like a baritone guitar and you should be fine. If you liked bass that much and you want to go for a 6 string bass, then by all means, do it.

And if you want to have some fun using the full potential of a 6 string bass, try playing some Dream Theater songs when you get it.
I don't think a six string bass is what you want, but go for it.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
If you want a "guitar/bass hybrid", get the Fender (or Squier) Bass VI. It is a guitar tuned an octave lower. It can be played like a bass (the lowest string is the same as the lowest string of a four string bass) or like a guitar.

A normal 6 string bass is different. It's nothing like a guitar. It's an extended range bass, comparable to a 7 or 8 string guitar.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by higgins909
This is just something that I have been "thinking about".
Little background on me...
I've got a squire strat korea, the frets are terrible on it, but have managed to learn some chords and some hand movements and endurance.
I learn some with rocksmith 2014.
I emulated the bass and fell for it, it was much funner then most of the guitar stuff I was taught by it.

I like a powerfull bass that can stand with the guitars, loud/more 6 stringer sound, but with some sound that still says its a bass, or more on the bass side, but powerfull.

I like the thought of 6 string because I don't have money to go 4 then 5-6
I could possibly play it a bit like a guitar... not sure what else I should say at this point.
In cold company - minus the bear, I thought I sounded like a pissed off bass at some points, loved it.

Just so that you know they exist...

You might keep your eyes open for a used first generation Variax guitar.

In addition to the various models of guitar that the Variax will emulate, you can also change the tuning on them up to an octave down from standard. This, in essence, means that what you play is still in standard tuning (and you can bend and add vibrato and all that), but what comes out of the amp is an octave down in the bass arena.

In other words, you can play the guitar like a guitar. Or you can play the guitar as a bass. A used Variax 500 should run around $350 in excellent condition.