Ok I'm in the process of trading one of my amps to get another that will work a little better for what I'm playing in my band. I would like to get somewhere close to a 5150/6505 in distorted tone but actually have a decent clean. The head I have is not capable of that, and it's basically the backup to my Splawn, so I won't say what it is, but I have gotten 2 trade offers: 1 for a 74 Ampeg V4 with a master volume mod and the other for a 3 channel dual rectifier. I know the Dual Rectifier has plenty of gain and a great clean channel but is a little more low end and high end focused, less mids. The Ampeg plus and HM-2 or clone of might get me close though. I won't have a chance to play either before hand since it's an online trade. If anyone has any input it would be appreciated.
Neither one of those is really even remotely close in tone to a 5150...

Out of those two choices, I'd sway more in favor of the Dual Recto, just because it's actually voiced correctly for the kind of music I assume you'll be playing. That being said, the 3 channels I've owned were among some of my least favorite amps, as they don't have much clarity at all IMO
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I really enjoy Rectos so that would be my choice. I am not one for the scooped tone and have a pretty good midrange chainsaw dialed in on mine.

EVH 5150 III has decent cleans (better than other models with the shite cleans)

Laney Ironheart can get into 5150 territory and has good cleans too.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Feb 23, 2015,
Quote by letsgetcokes
The head I have is not capable of that, and it's basically the backup to my Splawn, so I won't say what it is
It would really help use helping you if you told us what amp you have and what you exactly don't like about it.

An ampeg V4 doesn't sound much close to a 6505, alone or with a HM-2, and a dual recto doesn't sound like a 6505 at all.

For the closer sound to a 6505 I'd get a different amp altogether, say a 5150 III, 'cause you'll not get that tone with the recto nor with the ampeg.

Among the two I'd take the recto 'cause the distortion (which would be your main focus as I'm understanding) would be better that an HM-2, tho as Derek pointed out 3ch recto's leave stuff to be desired.

Have you actually tried a 6505 with a good cab?
'cause the cleans aren't as bad as they make them to be, and the reason why they're rumored to be that bad is that they're usually paired with cab and speakers that work better for high gain stuff (say a modern sounding cab using v30's).
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'm not sure if you've heard of Trap Them, they aren't my favorite band by any means, but their guitar player uses a V4 and some sort of distortion in front of it and it sounds crazy. Not the exact music I'm playing, but the tone is great. Not exactly 5150, but still pretty tight and raw sounding. I know the ampeg is basically a super loud, clean amp.
I have a custom built clone of another amp. It's a fuzz machine basically. It sounds nothing like any of the amps specified. Yes, I've had 2 6505s they're awesome, but they literally don't have a true clean channel. It can sort of get close, and I've considered a 5150iii but they're a bit pricey, I haven't seen one pop up for under a grand yet. IDEALLY, I'd get a Rivera Knucklehead Tre I think that'd be closer.
Quote by letsgetcokes
I'm not sure if you've heard of Trap Them, they aren't my favorite band by any means, but their guitar player uses a V4 and some sort of distortion in front of it and it sounds crazy.
To say that you could get the same tone with a V4 + an HM-2 is much like saying you could achieve a slash tone with an MG30 'cause it still has marshall written on it.

If you don't even know the distortion the guy is using I wouldn't go for it.
Quote by letsgetcokes
I know the ampeg is basically a super loud, clean amp.
Then why do you want it instead of an amp that is either the same thing but cheaper or that has a good distortion channel on its own?
Quote by letsgetcokes
Yes, I've had 2 6505s they're awesome, but they literally don't have a true clean channel.
Have you tried turning the gain down and fiddling with the EQ?
'cause to say it doesn't have a true clean channel makes it seem like you've never even seen any single ch master volume amp.
Quote by letsgetcokes
IDEALLY, I'd get a Rivera Knucklehead Tre I think that'd be closer.
Unless you really need a new amp very soon, why don't you just save up some more?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I'm doing a 2 week tour in a couple months, my Splawn is my primary amp but it was just in the shop for like 2 weeks. The amp I'm getting rid of is my backup amp. My band gigs a lot and it really isn't a good backup amp. It doesn't work at all for our sound, or even cut through the mix with our other guitarist who is using a Krank Rev. I love the 5150 distortion, but was never satisfied with the clean. The dual and the V4 are both amps I've thought would be cool to own, and popped up as trade offers, though neither are ideal. That's why I was just trying to get some outside input.
Last edited by letsgetcokes at Feb 23, 2015,
Quote by letsgetcokes
I have a custom built clone of another amp. It's a fuzz machine basically. It sounds nothing like any of the amps specified. Yes, I've had 2 6505s they're awesome, but they literally don't have a true clean channel. It can sort of get close, and I've considered a 5150iii but they're a bit pricey, I haven't seen one pop up for under a grand yet. IDEALLY, I'd get a Rivera Knucklehead Tre I think that'd be closer.

The 5150 III 50w is only $1000 and easily found for ~$800 on the used market

FWIW, if you have a Splawn already, the K-Tre is going to sound pretty similar. I guess if you're going for different sounds, the Recto is about far to the other side as you could go, in terms of tone.

I think the V4 is a cool amp, but not the solution you want if you're going to have to use a distortion pedal with it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The 5150 III 50w is only $1000 and easily found for ~$800 on the used market

FWIW, if you have a Splawn already, the K-Tre is going to sound pretty similar. I guess if you're going for different sounds, the Recto is about far to the other side as you could go, in terms of tone.

I think the V4 is a cool amp, but not the solution you want if you're going to have to use a distortion pedal with it.

Yeah I know, we played with a band that used one it sounded awesome. If I was going to break down and go the "5150" route though, I'd probably just get a 6505+. They're a little cheaper, but American made. I think the new 5150 is made in Mexico or Vietnam...or both?
Quote by letsgetcokes
Yeah I know, we played with a band that used one it sounded awesome. If I was going to break down and go the "5150" route though, I'd probably just get a 6505+. They're a little cheaper, but American made. I think the new 5150 is made in Mexico or Vietnam...or both?

Sure, but the cleans aren't really that much different than the original design.

The 5150 III has a Fender clean channel.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
The more I think about it, the more I start thinking I should get a 5150 of some kind.
Quote by letsgetcokes
The more I think about it, the more I start thinking I should get a 5150 of some kind.

do it!!! just snag a 5150 and call it a day. if you get a 5150ii/6505+ just swap out the clean channels preamp tube for a lower gain tube. i did it with mine. i think i used a 12au7 and got great results.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
Man, I keep getting offers on this thing. I went to sleep last night, woke up this morning, and I have an Orange Rockerverb, Mesa 2 channel Dual Rec, Three channel dual rec, the amp v4, and now cash. I think I might just take the cash, there is a 5150ii on GC used for $800.
I'd go for the Rockerverb or the 2 Channel Recto, unless the cash offer is good...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I'd take the 2ch recto personally, though the RV sounds angrier and crunchier - still not a 6505 but more like a 6505 than a recto.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
2 channel Rectos are damn sexy. I miss mine frequently...

But yeah if the cash is good I'd do that and get a Peavey
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
cash is king plus if its good enough you can snag a peavey for cheap and have leftovers to play with
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
ampeg v50h and a vinage turbo rat it sounds like your annihlating the first 30 rows mainly because its so psychoticly brutal you actually are murdering them. but you want a 5150 so just buy a 5150.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
+1 go for the 2 chanel rec or rockerverb. probably the rec first though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/