Since my old amps' master volume knob is dying, it think it's time for me to get myself a new amplifier. My current amp is my old Line 6 Spider 3 15w, and i'm looking to go up to a 30 or 75 watt amp. I'm also open to any suggestions of other amps(tube or other Solid State amps). I own a Line 6 POD HD500X, and i'm currently trying to wire a set of old stereo speakers to it so i can use it without having to plug in headphones all the time. My budget will be under $420, and the amp's use will be primarily for practice. I live with my family so a huge amp is out of the question. The amps i'm considering are:

Line 6 Spider 4 30w
Line 6 Amplifi 75w
Blackstar ID Core 40w
Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 40W (Considering this one because i eventually want to get a bass, and it has bass amp modeling.)
Marshall MG Series MG30CFX 30W

As far as what music i like/play, i'm into a lot of different stuff and i tend to practice different songs to challenge myself and to keep me from getting bored. I'm into Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, Alternative Rock/Metal, Rock, Progressive Rock/Metal, Blues, Classic Rock, Blues Rock, Indie Rock, Jazz, Funk, Ska, Punk, Reggae Etc.
Last edited by Silent Jay at Feb 23, 2015,
The request for a particular power is pointless since amps have master volume controls and small amps don't sound better than big amps at lower volumes.

The spider sounds bad.
The MG top down sucks.
The amplifi was outdated even right when it came out - a POD HD sounds better.
The vypyr vip sounds fine.
The blackstar ID core sounds fine as well.

I'd sure as hell get a peavey vypyr tube 60 in your situation.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I like the Blackstar, at least the demos sound pretty nice, although you're probably going to have to do a lot of computer tweaking with the amp. I don't understand how that tone control works, and it doesn't have an on-board EQ which could be annoying. You'll have to make patches on the computer for your tone-chasing instead of messing with the amp physically.

You might want to look into the VOX VT line. They probably aren't as versatile as the Blackstar, but they are somewhat simpler to use and the VT's might sound a bit better/boutique. It has a 12AX7 tube innit that might give you a better sound and natural tube nuances, although there isn't much difference heard from most users.

They VYPYR Tube 60 is a great option as well. Has a great reputation. The 12AX7 in the 60 seems to do about as much as the VT's, and you'll be getting power from the 6L6's. Has a fairly simple interface from what I gather.

Quote by Spambot_2
The request for a particular power is pointless since amps have master volume controls and small amps don't sound better than big amps at lower volumes.
So what does the wattage rating actually represent?
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 23, 2015,
The VYPYR has a lot of onboard effects, and it's a 6L6 Tuber, cheap too - hard to pass up. If all you really want to do is make the jump to Tube Power - I guess this bad boy will get the job done nicley. I'd vote for a used Egnator or a Tiny Terror Combo.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Will Lane

Wattage generally means clean headroom. Higher wattage amps take longer to break up and distort. Someone correct me if I'm not getting it right.
It has nothing to do with how loud it can get. A 150 watt amp is not twice as loud as a 75.
My 15 watt Tweaker head will blow the roof off the house if I crank it enough.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
just get some active monitors for your pod.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
since you have a POD to use for fx i'd think hard about getting a tube amp like a Peavey Valveking. your POD has better quality fx than the amps you've mentioned so why waste money on something you don't need.
dont just wire random speakers to your pod if you dont understand what you're doing, your going to fry it. I've fried amps by trying to do exactly what you're attempting.

Don't buy a line 6. Dont buy the marshall MG.

They all sound like shit, period.

Buy a cheap used blackstar combo.

The peavey valvekings are decent and in your range as well.
out of the selections you have offered up, i'd go with the blackstar.

or the marshall, but I like marshall stuff personally, so take from that what you will
Quote by monwobobbo
since you have a POD to use for fx i'd think hard about getting a tube amp like a Peavey Valveking. your POD has better quality fx than the amps you've mentioned so why waste money on something you don't need.

+1

I was going to recommend the Peavey Vypyr 60 but since you already have the POD I think you would be well served getting an all around workhorse amp. I really don't know what to recommend since you like such a wide range of styles.

The other option you could consider is getting a nice active monitor and just using that with your POD. It depends what you want.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by rickyj
dont just wire random speakers to your pod if you dont understand what you're doing, your going to fry it. I've fried amps by trying to do exactly what you're attempting.
You can't fry anything by connecting a pod to whatever speakers though.

Power outputs from amps put out a lot of power and can have problems related to impedance, while pods' outputs are line and instrument outputs.
Quote by rickyj

Hey, vetta's sound pretty good.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola

I was taught that 100 watts is about twice as loud as 10 watts, and a 10 watt tube amp is about as powerful (loud) as a 35 watt solid state amp.

I have a 7 watt vht special 6 head that isn't as loud as my 15 watt Jim Root tiny terror head plugged into the same cab, and my buddies 100 watt Marshall is considerably louder than both my heads using the same cab(all three are tube amps). 15 watts of tube power is way more than enough for a home.

High wattage amps also break up later, so you can get clean sounds at high volume.

There's probably more to it but that's al I know.
Quote by rickyj

Buy a cheap used blackstar combo.

The peavey valvekings are decent and in your range as well.

you are doing something wrong if it happens to more than once, **** even once. you shouldn't ever fry anything unless you have NO idea what you are doing..

i have no idea how you could even fry a pod hooking it up to monitors.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm considering the idea of studio monitors, but i'm still learning to use the POD since i got it a few weeks ago. As far as other amps suggested if i can find a Peavey Vypyr 60 to test out, i'll try it out. Thought about Orange Amps for a while, but not so much VOX.

As far as the list of practice amps i made, after looking at some more review videos i'm kinda leaning towards the Blackstar ID. I only found one video of someone using the Peavy Vypyr VIP with a bass. I'm still kinda interested in the Amplifi, even if compared to the POD it sucks. Still might go for the Spider 4, but i'm still looking out for something different. I'm still unsure about if i really want to make the jump to a tube amp. I know they require maintenance every once in a while, but i wonder how hard is it to maintain a tube amp?
Last edited by Silent Jay at Feb 23, 2015,
honestly with the POD, there is no reason to get a modeling amp. what you have is more powerful than the modelers, period. get a cheap decent tube amp. look into a peavey valveking, or an hard rock deluxe, something with an effects loop and run the POD in the front for the modeling.

then you have a decent tube amp (master volumes exist for a reason) and would be able to grow into it later, and use your POD for other things, or even running straight into the board.

another option would be to buy a powered wedge (monitor) and DI it into that and you could grow into that too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by mcamp12302
The power of an amp represents how much power it can feed to the speakers, and the higher the power the louder you can reproduce clean signals.
Quote by mcamp12302
I was taught that 100 watts is about twice as loud as 10 watts
All else being equal, yes.
Quote by mcamp12302
and a 10 watt tube amp is about as powerful (loud) as a 35 watt solid state amp.
This is a misconception created by the fact that guitar amps' power ratings are made up.

You can't make a comparison like that.

An AC30 will reproduce louder cleans than a DSL50 using the same speakers.
Quote by mcamp12302
15 watts of tube power is way more than enough for a home.
Please don't say tube power, it feeds the misconception that tubes and transistors put out a different kind of power.

A watt is a watt, and if everything is rated properly, all else being equal a 1w solid state amp can reproduce cleans as loud as a 1w tube amp.

Also 1w of whatever will also be enough for home if you don't want much volume.
5w cranked is more than enough to upset your neighbors.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have no idea how you could even fry a pod hooking it up to monitors.
That's in big part due to the fact that you can't do such thing.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
I agree, look at a Peavey Valveking or classic 30/50.

You have a POD HD run it in 4CM to the VK and you will have a very nice set-up

Like was said the L6 Amplifi is POD XT/X3 technology processing power and the HD is much better.
Marshall MG series are not good at all
The spider 4 is way behind the POD HD
Blackstar is mediocre

any of the amps you listed will be way behind the POD HD in sound quality and FX quality
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
If you're going to run a POD, why not just get an Epi Blues JR, or a similar one knob low wattage tube amp. Keep it rugged and simple and rock out. You'll learn more that way and not be overburdened by a slew of effects that muddy up the tone.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
If you're going to run a POD, why not just get an Epi Blues JR, or a similar one knob low wattage tube amp. Keep it rugged and simple and rock out. You'll learn more that way and not be overburdened by a slew of effects that muddy up the tone.

low wattage is a bad idea because he would want headroom, as well as an effects loop it doesn't have one. and its just a bad idea.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I vote ValveKing 112 as well. I picked one up at a rediculously low price about 10 days ago and it sounds great for what it is. The POD into this would be a killer setup and the VK sounds good at low volumes. My VK is for sale too if you're close to VA ;-)
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The best powered monitors that you can afford are what you need. Don't be scared of high power monitors, you don't have to turn it up. You need headroom, so bigger is better.
Take a look at Carvin. They are a good mate to the Pod and not that expensive.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I'm probably going to have to save some more cash for an amp since I'm considering other amps now. I wonder if that one shop i went to still has that used Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier. Also is the Peavey 6505+ a good option?

Quote by metalmingee
I vote ValveKing 112 as well. I picked one up at a rediculously low price about 10 days ago and it sounds great for what it is. The POD into this would be a killer setup and the VK sounds good at low volumes. My VK is for sale too if you're close to VA ;-)

I would buy it if you were close, but I live in Detroit.

Quote by Cathbard
The best powered monitors that you can afford are what you need. Don't be scared of high power monitors, you don't have to turn it up. You need headroom, so bigger is better.
Take a look at Carvin. They are a good mate to the Pod and not that expensive.

I'll look into Carvin. Don't they make guitars too? I've heard good things about their stuff
Last edited by Silent Jay at Feb 25, 2015,
Guitar Center has a good used section online.
www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Silent Jay
Checked there a while ago and there were no valvekings nearby.

They will ship it to you, and their shipping costs are pretty reasonable

They used to ship store to store for free, but not anymore
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Silent Jay
Checked there a while ago and there were no valvekings nearby.

if they have them at another store you can have them send it to a store near you.
I did find a Valveking on Guitar Center's used section, but there are 2 other amps i'm considering due to looking around:

Peavey 6505+ 112(Used on Guitar Center's) $299.99

Marshall Haze 40 tube combo(Used in a local shop) $500
Quote by Silent Jay
I did find a Valveking on Guitar Center's used section, but there are 2 other amps i'm considering due to looking around:

Peavey 6505+ 112(Used on Guitar Center's) $299.99

Marshall Haze 40 tube combo(Used in a local shop) $500

i can tell you to pass on the haze. if you are wanting to play metal, and not have amazing cleans, go with the 6505+. the cleans are certainly better on the VK, but you won't get the best modern metal tones out of it.

6505+ for metal and ok cleans
VK for better cleans, and classic rockk.

another thing to look into would be a XXX or a JSX. they are probably within your budget.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!