Last week I started having problems with my BDRI. It'll be fine for the first 15 minutes or so of playing but after that it just cuts out and won't make sound until I wait a bit and try again. It seems like it is overheating but it's never had that problem before and I can't find any information on the internet.
-I bought the amp new in September 2012.
-Last month I replaced the stock speaker with an Eminence Cannabis Rex.
-In doing so I had a hard time returning the circuitboard to its place since it is made to fit very tightly in the frame. Some of the conductive tape on one side was peeled off and got folded over in the process. This is the only thing I could think of that might be the problem.
Any help?
i would likely place a bet on power tubes.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Thanks guys. I am most certain it is not the power tubes since there wouldn't be a total loss of sound from just one going bad. On the odd chance that they both went bad at the same time, it would be even weirder if the problem was intermittent.
I got a recommendation to check the speaker cable first and then check the solder joints. If that doesn't work, I'll try a new set of tubes since I was going to replace them soon anyway.
I'll keep you posted.
Quote by UseYourThumb
Thanks guys. I am most certain it is not the power tubes since there wouldn't be a total loss of sound from just one going bad. On the odd chance that they both went bad at the same time, it would be even weirder if the problem was intermittent.
I got a recommendation to check the speaker cable first and then check the solder joints. If that doesn't work, I'll try a new set of tubes since I was going to replace them soon anyway.
I'll keep you posted.

so come here and ask a question and don't listen?

dying powertubes fade in and out and will go for no volume. that is probably the most common sign i see. they are not always consistent when dying either.

worst case you buy power tubes and have backups, but i highly doubt that would be the case.

i am assuming you put the proper impedance speaker in, right?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by UseYourThumb
Thanks guys. I am most certain it is not the power tubes since there wouldn't be a total loss of sound from just one going bad.
I'll keep you posted.

Actually one failing tube might do exactly this. If one fails the FBD goes silent. Fading in and out is a common indicator of power tube issues. Cold solder joints have also come up from time to time but these amps are really pretty bulletproof.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by trashedlostfdup
so come here and ask a question and don't listen?

I'm just trying to rule out the things in an order that would save me money. The speaker cable appears to be faulty so I'm dealing with that first.
I talked to a Fender technician and he said the tubes were unlikely the problem. I still said I would check them as a last resort. I'm not ignoring anyone...
I'll double check the impedance when I get home too.
Thanks.
I replaced the speaker cable and didn't seem to have any problems for awhile but recently the problem came back so I'm not sure that fixed it. I ordered a new set of Tung-Sol 6L6GC power tubes. I'll keep you guys updated if that seems to fix the issue.
I replaced both power tubes AND all three pre-amp tubes and there is STILL a problem.
Anyone got any other ideas? I'm stumped.
Could be a component heating up and lifting off the board. Could be the output transformer on its way out.

Take it back to your fender technician, it's very hard to diagnose problems over the internet once they get past the usual suspects.
I agree it's time to take it to a tech.

With a tube amp the first thing to do is ALWAYS check tubes. That's the most common problem. This sounds like something else inside either heating up and failing or failing in general, since you ruled out tubes. My Super Reverb was doing the exact same thing when I got it, used from a relative who bought it new in 1973. It turned out to be a capacitor failing once it got heated up. And the shop he took it to had missed it...I found it by doing a complete cap job just to replace all the 40 year old ones inside and upgrade the cheap ones CBS used when they built it. A failing output transformer can cause the same thing, but I would be more likely to believe it would be a component failing once it gets hot. Capacitor would be my guess, but that's just a guess.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Has it got a HT fuse somewhere?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I drove an hour and a half to a technician and dropped it off last week. They couldn't replicate the problem. Sure enough I go to pick it up and it works fine but 5 minutes into playing it when I get home it's broken again.
Two ideas...
1) Could I switch to the external speaker jack on the inside of the amp and see if that works any better or is there a problem with that?
2) Could this be a faulty speaker?