Over the years, questions and topics have always emerged what the best sequence for your effects pedals is and if and when you should use the amp effects loop if you have one.
This is my personal preference and I would like to know what you people have done if you have any other suggestions or preferences.
I have a 20 watt Blackstar Tube with an effects loop.
I used to plug everything either in to the front, i.e.
Guitar --> pedals --> amp
or
Guitar --> amp and all the effects in the loop.
I have now changed everything around and am now getting a much better distortion and sound from the pedals.
I plug the guitar along with the Wah and the disorientation pedals like the tube screamer into the front and all time related effects (phaser, delay, reverb and volume) into the effects loop.
The sound is a lot better.
Two downsides though: more cables are needed (not that big a deal) but there is more of a background hum on the amp, even if all the pedals are off. Most are TC Electronic (big fan!!!) and have true bypass.
Let me know what you think.
tuner>wah>od>fuzz>distortion>amp

any chorus,phaser,flanger,delay in the loop if it is there

Your getting a hum from the power your using, not the cables (most likely). Using an isolated power supply or batteries is how you get rid of that.

If you have a buffered fx pedal using that can help bring back some of the highs you loose from long cable runs.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Personally, I've always been a fan of some effects up front (Wah-Wah, OD, DIST) and some in the loop (echo, reverb, etc). If you can manually turn on and off your effects loop you can create a poor mans multiple stomp foot switch, but that's more a circus trick than anything.

Personally, I usually tell people to keep Tuners, Wah's and OD's as close to the purest signal, (AKA the guitar) as you can, after that, its all preference and sound.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
If the hum is from the amp itself then sticking something like an ISP Decimator in the effects loop will solve this problem
Quote by Robbgnarly
tuner>wah>od>fuzz>distortion>amp

any chorus,phaser,flanger,delay in the loop if it is there

Your getting a hum from the power your using, not the cables (most likely). Using an isolated power supply or batteries is how you get rid of that.

If you have a buffered fx pedal using that can help bring back some of the highs you loose from long cable runs.

Thanks for the info. That's a good idea. I'll try it out. Distortion and wah at the front is definitely the best option. You get a purer tone and driving crunch. In the effects loop it always sounds a bit too fuzzy with no high end. Or maybe that's just the sound of Blackstar. 😉 Have only been using the Blackstar amp for a couple of months now. Still experimenting to get the right sound I like.