Hello and thanks for reading. I'll cut to the chase.

$500 budget for the guitar
Northwest Indiana/chicago area
I'll be getting a micro terror with it when i go. (Gave away ALL my old electric gear to my brother fo free cuz I'm a nice guy) It will be used strictly for bedroom use. No gigging or band related stuff.
I like to play grunge, classic rock, hard rock, blues and 90's rock.
I'm interested in les pauls, but there are so many and I don't know what sets them apart from eachother.
Either new or used would be fine with me.
Previously owned a strat and liked it, but I'd like to try something different. I plan on getting a strat later on down the road.

Thanks!
Epiphone Les Paul Studio if you like Les Pauls. They,re cheap used and you can find them on ebay and craigslist.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
What Fryderyczek said, go for an Epiphone Les Paul. I also recommend taking a look at the ESP LTD EC series models on your budget, they are very good too.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Epiphone Les Paul Studio if you like Les Pauls. They,re cheap used and you can find them on ebay and craigslist.

What's the point getting a studio? You can get a Standard used for about 250-500 bucks in his area.

I'd rather shell out the extra 30 bucks to get a proper one.

That being said TS, you have a few options depending on your preferences. You could check out the Epiphone line as mentioned, the LTD line (has a few LP shapes) or Agile if you're okay with buying blind. Other companies like Charvel/Schecter etc... also have LP style guitars but aren't as popular IMHO.

RE: If we're talking Gibsons, the differences between the models are cosmetic and some slight changes in the setup. Some LPs will have 2vol/1tone and a mini dip switch, some have the traditional 4 knob layout. Some have fancier tops etc... some come without binding for a more stripped down guitar. At the end it's mostly a preference. For things like Epiphones, a lot of the differences are simply cosmetic (some models like the PRO series have things like coil taps) until you get into the cheaper lines (in which case, woods, electronics and even construction might differ)

Is there a certain neck size you prefer? Do you like slimmer or thicker necks? Do you need things like a tremolo etc... or are you mostly just looking for a straightforward Les Paul.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 24, 2015,
What about the Les Paul Standard Pro? They have coil tap so you can get some of those "single coil" tones.
I don't need tremolo So a straight forward lp would do just fine. As far as neck size, i love my breedlove c250/cm. No idea if that helps.
Quote by mkocian17
I don't need tremolo So a straight forward lp would do just fine. As far as neck size, i love my breedlove c250/cm. No idea if that helps.

The epiphone LPs are probably closer to the breedlove in terms of width at the nut. I'm not sure how thick the breedlove profile feels either but if it's relatively thick then Epiphones might not be a bad option if you're looking for a similar vibe. LTD necks would be slimmer at that point so if a smaller neck isn't what you're after, I would maybe avoid them.

Either way, if you can, try a bunch of guitars and see what you like. Personally, I think Epiphone LP Standard/Customs/Pros would be good in your price range. A tribute would be great if you could stretch the dough.

For LTDs, you could check out the EC-401 models or possibly a 1000 in that budget.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you live in the US you've got no excuse for not getting an Agile AL-3000 series.
Awesome value.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
The LTD EC-256 goes for about 400 USD, has the coil tap, and a thinner build with a tummy cut.
Quote by The Judist
If you live in the US you've got no excuse for not getting an Agile AL-3000 series.
Awesome value.

Yeah, they offer great specs considering the price. I just wish the cutaway wasn't so uggo.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
What's the point getting a studio? You can get a Standard used for about 250-500 bucks in his area.

I'd rather shell out the extra 30 bucks to get a proper one.

Holy Hell, I meant Standard. sorry TS. I'm still sleepy.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
So if I'm understanding this correctly, the lp custom pro used is my best option, then standard 2nd?
Personally, I prefer the average Agile AL over the average, similarly priced, Epi LP.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Just wanted to say thank you to all who posted! I went out and checked the one on craigslist that RCA posted... I fell in love and bought it after playing it for 10 minutes! Its sexy and sounds even sexier than it looks.
For 350 its a great guitar and i love the coil tapping feature.
Haha that's awesome man. I just happened to be browsing craigslist and saw it and immediately thought of this thread. Glad to help out!
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
Quote by OroborosYinYang
Good luck with it! Maybe give us a review in a bit and HNGD!

Totally. Hope youre enjoying the guitar TS
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster