I always wanted to know how high I can tune my strings. I keep forgetting to it each time I need to restring. I want to know what note each strings reaches when it breaks. Assume a gauge of 12-54 and a scale length of 25. I want to know how high I can go before breakage.Also I want to know how much tension bass strings handle. For bass assume a guage of 105-45 and a scale length of 34.I know for bass it's much more than a guitar. How high can I tune my bass without risking breakage?
Last edited by Sycamory45 at Feb 24, 2015,
Strings can go pretty high without immediate (but eventual) breakage, but your neck will not be happy with tunings greatly out of its setup/usable range.

For lower (thicker) gauges you do not want to tune up to E standard and back down to lower tunings consistently. A proper setup might help, but it is much better to have two separately tuned, separately set-up guitars.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 24, 2015,
It would depend on the material and gauge of the strings. How much tension they can take before failure and how much tension they can take and still be struck with a pick are two different values however.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
I don't remember...I tuned a high E .010 one day till it broke, seems like at least an octave higher but really don't remember.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Folks, the question was about Bass...

I suspect (but do not KNOW) that you could pretty much trash a Bass neck before you would break the heavier strings.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Don't tune up, just by a capo or just play them in different spots. Most bassists I know (jazz guys) do the latter, unless they need an open string for a particular phrase; then the capos the best option.

if you really need to tune up an octave or more look into a fender/squire bass vi
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Bad idea, especially on a bass. Strings will have a breaking point, just like fishing line. If you want to test this by over tightening strings, you will also be testing the breaking points of the neck, headstock, as well as the screws holding the bridge on, tuners, etc. Something else will most likely break before a bass string does.
I want to know how high each string can tune too. I want to the highest note. How much percent are bass strings from breaking tension. Is 50% a safe bet? It can't be 10%. My question is a simple one.
You could probably get away with three semitones on most strings. On the E and A you could probably go up five semitones safely, but as other pointed out there are many factors to consider. Obliviously an older string will not be able handle the tension as much as a new one. You must take in to account plucking. Plucking increases stress on a string.