Similar to bands like The Clash, The Jam, Buzzcocks, The Sex Pistols, The Ruts, etc?

A lot of them seem to have quite a raw, punchy guitar sound going, but it's not too heavy compared to, say, what Metal or Grunge or the American Hardcore Punk guitarists had, and they're quite sharp and clear. So would I be better off using overdrive rather than distortion? And what should the settings be for the bass, middle and gain?

I'm pretty skint at the minute so I won't be able to afford any specific gear. I'm currently using an Epiphone Les Paul through a Roland Cube 20XL.
Cranked Brit amps on a crunch setting with loads of mids was the original source for that sound. Wampler makes a pedal called the Cranked OD and also the Plexi Drive which does this sound well in a pedal format.

If you were to get one of those pedals, put your Cube on a slight breakup on a crunch channel (just some spark) and boost it with the pedal. If you don't get one of those pedals, get a overdrive boost like the EHX Soul Food and boost a just-before-saturation crunched setting to saturation. Saturation relative to crunch, that is. You don't need much clipping, really.

That's what I suggest. The SF is pretty cheap. If you really can't get any gear, just put the Cube on a crunched setting just before saturation, turn all the dials to 10, and turn the volume up. c: Try using the neck pup of your LP if you haven't already.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 24, 2015,
Marshall DSL

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Just suck at playing, that's what the sex pistols did (I don't advise trying to get their tone at all or most people will hate you )

But you obviously haven't heard of a band called Death, they were punks from Detroit before the Pistols and they actually rip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RDPDm9_nX0o

your welcome
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly

But you obviously haven't heard of a band called Death, they were punks from Detroit before the Pistols and they actually rip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RDPDm9_nX0o

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Danny, you should watch the full movie, it is amazing
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I've heard...

It is one of the mysteries of black musicianship that the harder bands so rarely get the respect and airplay they deserve. There was another documentary- I'm blocking on the name, unfortunately*- that not only mentioned Death, but hosts of other black rock & punk bands that almost nobody but the black musician community knew.

They interviewed guys like Dug Pinnick, ?uestlove, Sly Stone, etc.

I mean, I have a pretty extensive collection of black hard rock, punk & metal, and I'd only heard of half the bands...

* Remembered it! Electric Purgatory
http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Purgatory-Angelo-Moore/dp/B001MBTT1M
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 24, 2015,
Cranked amp and pick hard, like, really fricken hard.
also add a hearty serving of mids, A fair bit of highs, and let the bass handle the bass.

Everyone saying British amps,but Steve Jones used a Twin did he not?
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Quote by boblittle
Cranked amp and pick hard, like, really fricken hard.
also add a hearty serving of mids, A fair bit of highs, and let the bass handle the bass.

Everyone saying British amps,but Steve Jones used a Twin did he not?

yes Steve Jones used a cranked Fender Twin for recording the album. i'm shocked that some here think that tone sucked. i love that album and thought steve sounded good for what he was doing.
Yeah unfortunately black musicians in the USA have gotten swept under the rug until the last 30 yrs (for the most part) unless they were in the "now" music

One of my favorite things is Lemmy's favorite performer is Little Richard

and yes the pistols tone sucked as well as their music
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 24, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly

sorry can't agree but everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how stupid or wrong.
Quote by monwobobbo
sorry can't agree but everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter how stupid or wrong.

I know right, I feel really bad for the guys who like that shite
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah unfortunately black musicians in the USA have gotten swept under the rug until the last 30 yrs (for the most part) unless they were in the "now" music

One of my favorite things is Lemmy's favorite performer is Little Richard

He's also a huge fan of Abba
Screw you guys, the Pistols rocked. But I suppose, what can you expect? Yanks never understood the Pistols.

Bollocks is a cranked Fender Twin. However, on the Filthy Lucre reunion tour, Steve was using a JCM900

As for the Clash, Joe Strummer used a Music Man HD and Mick Jones used either a plexi or a Twin.

Now, how to get those tones out of a Cube? No idea. You need an old tube amp - and then crank it to 11. It's all power amp distortion, something the Cube just doesn't emulate very well.
The cheapest way to go would probably be an old JCM900 and run it with only two power tubes. I've played a lot of Pistols that way and it worked well. It worked well for Steve when I saw them too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Feb 24, 2015,

for cheap an old crate VC3112 for cheap gets nice punky sounds.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by Cathbard
Screw you guys, the Pistols rocked. But I suppose, what can you expect? Yanks never understood the Pistols.

Bollocks is a cranked Fender Twin. However, on the Filthy Lucre reunion tour, Steve was using a JCM900

As for the Clash, Joe Strummer used a Music Man HD and Mick Jones used either a plexi or a Twin.

Now, how to get those tones out of a Cube? No idea. You need an old tube amp - and then crank it to 11. It's all power amp distortion, something the Cube just doesn't emulate very well.
The cheapest way to go would probably be an old JCM900 and run it with only two power tubes. I've played a lot of Pistols that way and it worked well. It worked well for Steve when I saw them too.

not all of us yanks didn't get it. bought Never Mind the Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols in 76 and never stopped listening to it. still one of my fav "i'm having a bad day" albums.

totally agree that to get an authentic 70s Punk sound you need a cranked tube amp for power amp distortion.

just as a side note my brother is kind of an authority of early US punk. he wrote a book on it that was published about 20 years ago.
Yeah, I'm sure some of you did get it - but not the guys posting in this thread. Who gives a shit what American punks did or who did it first? That isn't what the OP asked.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwCuutEetXc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nwGndfR4l4
'91 Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton JLH
Godin 5th Avenue
ESP/LTD BELLA LUGOSI DRACULA
--
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Hughes & Kettner 1x12 w/ Vintage 30's
Fender Mustang II
VOX AD30VT
--
MXR Super Badass Distortion>Boss CE-5>Boss OC-3> ???
Last edited by boblittle at Feb 24, 2015,
Quote by Cathbard
Yeah, I'm sure some of you did get it - but not the guys posting in this thread. Who gives a shit what American punks did or who did it first? That isn't what the OP asked.

Just because some of us were talking about American punk and proto-punk doesn't mean we didn't get the Sex Pistols or The Clash. I just didn't have anything to say about how to get their sound.

Side note: I was so sad to see The Clash break up- didn't really care all that for much of anything those guys did afterwards.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Feb 24, 2015,
I like the clash, just never got into the pistols at all. doesn't make me a bad person
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Yes it does. You are very bad and should be ashamed of yourself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Yes it does. You are very bad and should be ashamed of yourself.

You have no idea how bad I'm sulking now
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I use my blues jr for old nasty punk tones. both volumes all the way up and the eq all the way down. Its not to loud cranked