Hi everyone,

I'm sure this is a silly question. I have a tascam US2000 and so far have been plugging my guitar and mics directly into it to good effect.

However, I found a good deal on a used golden age 73 so I might get it.

My question is how do I plug the pre into the sound card and how do I adjust the gain on both?

Do I plug the pre into one of the xlr ins on the tascam? If so do I set the gain on the tascam to a minimum?

Or into one of the line ins?

The tascam has decent pre already but am I wasting my time by getting the signal from a good preamp and feeding it through a mediocre preamp?

Thanks!

PS anyone have comments on the golden age 73?
Quote by flexiblemile
1. My question is how do I plug the pre into the sound card and how do I adjust the gain on both?

2. Do I plug the pre into one of the xlr ins on the tascam? If so do I set the gain on the tascam to a minimum?

Or into one of the line ins?

3.The tascam has decent pre already but am I wasting my time by getting the signal from a good preamp and feeding it through a mediocre preamp?

4. anyone have comments on the golden age 73?
1. You connect the mic to the pre73, you connect the line out from the pre73 to one of the tascam's line in's, you set the input gain on the tascam to +4dB, you set the pre gain on the pre73 to get the sound you prefer, you set the output gain on the pre73 so that the signal is at an optimal level.

2. If you were to connect it to an input with a pre you would set the gain to unity.
Though you have to connect it to a line input.

3. If you were to feed the pre73's signal to the tascam pre's it wouldn't be worth it.
Thou you're feeding them to a line input which only has line drivers, no pre's.

4. colored pre.
If you like that color it's a pretty damn nice pre, though it's limited.
I'd pay no more than $150 for a used mkI.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
thank you very much for your answer, I understand now.

It's not the mark I, it's the mark II, though
Then for a used one even $220 is good.

If you want to heavily color some tracks, I'd get it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
You're on the right path, and Luca gave some solid advice there. It's very simple and for that price you should jump on it. I love mine to death, it works wonders on DI bass tracks and adds crazy warmth to vocals.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Great, going to pick it up tommorow!

Out of curiosity, what kind of cable do I need to connect the preamp to the line in on my sound card? Will a regular guitar patch cable work?
^ you may use one of these but I'd rather recommend using a shielded 2 cores cable (the ones with TRS jack ends) 'cause the output is balanced.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola