Page 1 of 2
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/24/us-usa-keystone-idUSKBN0LS2FH20150224

President Barack Obama on Tuesday, as promised, swiftly vetoed a Republican bill approving the Keystone XL oil pipeline, leaving the long-debated project in limbo for another indefinite period.

The U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, after receiving Obama's veto message, immediately countered by announcing the Republican-led chamber would attempt to override it by March 3.

That is unlikely. Despite their majority, Republicans are four votes short of being able to overturn Obama's veto.

They have vowed to attach language approving the pipeline to a spending bill or other legislation later in the year that the president would find difficult to veto.

The TransCanada Corp pipeline would carry 830,000 barrels a day of mostly Canadian oil sands crude to Nebraska en route to refineries and ports along the U.S. Gulf. It has been pending for more than six years.

Discuss.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
hmmm
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by deadsmileyface
good

**** oil

My family is actually in oil. These really low prices have made my dad have to cut back a little bit because there just isn't much coming in. Their business is in a small town and can get hit by low oil prices easily. That being said, he didn't really get why this was such a big deal. That's if I remember what he said correctly. He basically said that it was Canadian oil getting shipped to the gulf to be sold. That doesn't mean the US would get any of it. I think we'd help process it but that's it. There would be a lot of construction jobs made from it but our infrastructure isn't that good right now and could make just as many jobs, seems like.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
When I try to think of how oil runs the world it gives me a headache. The economy is difficult
Quote by ErikLensherr
Did you hear about the cockney Godfather?

He made them an offer they couldn't understand.
I've been getting into the stock market recently and this would be a prime time to buy into the Canadian Oil Sands stock. It's relatively cheap right now and, whether you'd want to admit it or not, eventually the oil sands will be harvested really hard and fast. Buy it cheap now, wait on it for a few years and it'll shoot up 500%. Maybe more.

But, it's kind of shitty to be giving these people money, so idk. It'll make you money for sure, but the moral ethics are there to consider.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Dumb. Moving it by ship is more dangerous to the environment, and if the investors can put up the money for it and can get landowner permission without eminent domain having to be used, build the damn thing.

Quote by deadsmileyface
good

**** oil
This is a dumb attitude and a dumb answer. Also, probably pretty typical.
Hopefully Obama makes McConnell lick his butthole.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
How about we start actually using and putting money into alternative and renewable resources and ship all the oil to mars when we go there cause that place is ruined anyway.
disclaimer: oil money has shaped me so much may as well have oil running thru my veins

i think its stupid because shit like this just means the inevitable flow of oil will flow in a manner that will inevitably be more harmful to the environment. if you think this is going to stop the flow of oil you are deluded. its protectionist policy not environmental policy.
Last edited by Thrashtastic15 at Feb 24, 2015,
I honestly don't know enough about to make an informed decision. Never bothered to read up much on the pipeline, but it's not like not building will make the demand for oil go down.

I'll just keep waiting for Elon Musk to save us all.
I honestly don't know enough about this to comment.

I do know some First Nations didn't want this running through their land so I oppose any plans to do that. >_>
Quote by CaptainRon
What a pointless waste of time.

Oh hurr durr we're protecting dur environment.

Now Canada will just ship by tanker or train

it was better when they were talking this bullshit 24 hours after what happened in quebec that was priceless
oil is murder

oil is murder
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Everything should be powered by fossile fuels. **** tumblr hippies I am redditor hear me edgeee.
Quote by slipknot5678
I honestly don't know enough about this to comment.

I do know some First Nations didn't want this running through their land so I oppose any plans to do that. >_>

All you need to know is that Canada wants to ship a bunch of their dirty oil down to Texas by building a giant pipeline, and Obama is stopping them by denying them the ability to build it across the border.
The only inevitability is death

so deep
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Can't think of any reason not to build it besides it being politically expedient to kowtow to environmentalist groups.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Because its a good way just to tell Republicans to shove it.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by Eastwinn
oil is not inevitable

if you can show us an alternative to oil demand hit the world up bruh

until then all you have accomplished is assuring canadian oil will be flowing in a way that is more environmentally destructive. congrats breh
Quote by seanlang01
Dumb. Moving it by ship is more dangerous to the environment, and if the investors can put up the money for it and can get landowner permission without eminent domain having to be used, build the damn thing.

This is a dumb attitude and a dumb answer. Also, probably pretty typical.

I really wouldn't mind it as much if not for this. They're going through a lot of reservations as well.

It feels like they're throwing their weight around too much. Constantly going on about American jobs and shit, trying to get around landowner permission, etc.

the jobs would be good and we really don't need more oil in the ocean. If I had to choose between two evils, I'd pick a spill on land.

Quote by ErikLensherr
Can't think of any reason not to build it besides it being politically expedient to kowtow to environmentalist groups.
It goes through multiple reservation and sovereign nations that have not given permission for it to do so.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Feb 24, 2015,
alternative to oil

Dude there's so ****ing many and this is mother****ing ******ed ass post. People are too ****ing lazy to start using the many alternatives fullscale cause they are afraid to not make as much money as they are now for a few years.
on a semi-related note, my olive oil pipeline from the fake homeland has also fallen apart and now i'm being forced to purchase that shit from the market like a peasant ))))

Quote by BladeSlinger
It goes through multiple reservation and sovereign nations that have not given permission for it to do so.

Yeah like I said earlier this is why I'm opposed to it even without knowing much about it in general. The fact that so many people are like 'who gives a **** about their permission' just goes to show that America and Canada are not actually 'sorry' about stealing land for their own economic benefit and they'll continue to do it. Combined with continued discrimination, in a way not much has changed over the past century.
Quote by BladeSlinger

Let me amend that, I can't think of any good reason
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Wormholes
Dude there's so ****ing many and this is mother****ing ******ed ass post. People are too ****ing lazy to start using the many alternatives fullscale cause they are afraid to not make as much money as they are now for a few years.

nice source m8
Quote by slipknot5678
Yeah like I said earlier this is why I'm opposed to it even without knowing much about it in general. The fact that so many people are like 'who gives a **** about their permission' just goes to show that America and Canada are not actually 'sorry' about stealing land for their own economic benefit and they'll continue to do it. Combined with continued discrimination, in a way not much has changed over the past century.

I'm fairly certain the last horrible thing Canada did to the Aboriginals was residential schools and that ended 20+ years ago. Things have changed in the last century.

And no, we definitely do have to pay for right of way here. Canada is not the US.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
nice source m8

yeah sorry I know things not pulled out of your dirty asshole are odd to you.
Quote by CaptainRon
I'm fairly certain the last horrible thing Canada did to the Aboriginals was residential schools and that ended 20+ years ago. Things have changed in the last century.

And no, we definitely do have to pay for right of way here. Canada is not the US.

Canada is actually kind of known for treating its natives like shit. As in, worse than the US.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by CaptainRon
Which isn't what I'm refuting.

Then I guess I didn't see your point
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
Then I guess I didn't see your point

He claimed that things haven't changed much in the last century and that Canada has no issue stealing land from Aboriginals for their own economic benefit.

The first thing isn't true as the residential school system was abolished, discriminatory policies for revoking Indian status were removed, and we came pretty close to allowing Natives to have property rights to reserve land (but was overturned for who knows what reason). If someone wants to argue that the reserve system is unfair then tough luck, the Aboriginals don't want to see it gone even if unquestionably creates economic isolation and ghettos.

The Canadian government can't steal land from Aboriginals.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I really wouldn't mind it as much if not for this. They're going through a lot of reservations as well.

It feels like they're throwing their weight around too much. Constantly going on about American jobs and shit, trying to get around landowner permission, etc.

the jobs would be good and we really don't need more oil in the ocean. If I had to choose between two evils, I'd pick a spill on land.

Right, but that's not where the opposition comes from. It's bad environmentalism, protectionist attitudes etc. that doesn't offer any solution.

Also, I don't think any of those "sovereign" nations actually function as such. Not that it makes it right, but in respective courts that might make a difference. I'm not really up on those matters though.

I don't think "jobs" should have anything to do with it either, but people will latch onto whatever to further their agenda. It's a bad place to argue from both for the Keystone and "green" energy advocates. And if you have any principles on the matter, it's totally irrelevant.
Quote by seanlang01
Right, but that's not where the opposition comes from. It's bad environmentalism, protectionist attitudes etc. that doesn't offer any solution.

Also, I don't think any of those "sovereign" nations actually function as such. Not that it makes it right, but in respective courts that might make a difference. I'm not really up on those matters though.

I don't think "jobs" should have anything to do with it either, but people will latch onto whatever to further their agenda. It's a bad place to argue from both for the Keystone and "green" energy advocates. And if you have any principles on the matter, it's totally irrelevant.

Nah, some of them have treaties with the US. You only do treaties nation to nation. Or at least I think there are nations up north. We have nations here where they are considered a sovereign nation. They have laws separate from the state and their own constitution and shit. They're basically their own little countries that are allowed to reside within the US where the feds have some control over them. They repressed that right as much as possible but it's been fought in court for a long time.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 2