What is the best finish if I just want a natural wood look that looks as much as the original wood and as non shiny as possible, but still protects against dirt and moisture and all that bad stuff?
Quote by Intralimpidus
What is the best finish if I just want a natural wood look that looks as much as the original wood and as non shiny as possible, but still protects against dirt and moisture and all that bad stuff?

Satin or matte polyester. I've got several guitars that have a "natural" wood feel on the back of the neck, but are actually a satin/matte clear. No discernible difference from natural wood, really.
I agree with satin or matte polyurethane.

tung oil , gunstock oil and a few others come up but with varnish they have maintenance required. I've been told rule of thumb the thinner the finish the better the acoustic tone too to give you some insight. I had this Jackson KE3 some amateur refinished (there was brush marks in the finish) and when I sanded down and buffed back to a scratch free gloss on the back it sounded way better. Placebo or not of course.
The thickness of the finish on an acoustic guitar matters, but on an electric? Not so much.

I find it hard to imagine how much 'better' a guitar sounds with a thinner finish than without when amplified. Outside of placebo. There are so many more significant factors that affect tone that any difference a thinner finish could make is going to be overshadowed by variables that have more significant effects.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Feb 25, 2015,