Page 1 of 2
I was talking to my doctor and he said, "G! Let's C F you might B flat."
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Ok but like can you **** it?
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
My bullshit detector just asploded. Then I started reading OP, and I know why.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by Arthur Curry
Everything, at its most common denominator, is frequency. The body is a mathematical matrix of frequency interactions. Biochemical relationships are frequency relationships.
True.

every muscle, every compound, every process and structure of the body has a frequency equivalent that can be mathematically calculated. The brain functions through the use of brain waves which are measurable as frequency. The heart emits frequency to keep the heart beating in rhythm. Nerve transmission is accomplished through the use of frequency pathways. Organs, nerves, tissue and bone are themselves made up of substances which are, at their base, energy --measurable in cycles per second.
True...

Vocal analysis, utilizing the idea that frequencies contained in the voice are holographic representations of one’s state of health, is a nascent science. Not all of the answers are obvious, but there is enough known information for definitive patterns of disease states to be established. Voice analysis, with its capabilities for predictive, pre-diagnostic and evaluative assessments of the body, is well on its way to becoming an intrinsic part of regular health care.
Woah you lost me there. What was the point of this post even?
Last edited by mind_meld at Feb 25, 2015,
Quote by mind_meld
True.

True...

Woah you lost me there. What was the point of this post even?

The point is to promote some weird idea by mentioning science stuff.

It's similar to going:
Well, you know there's these things called stars right, and objects move around them? This got us thinking. So basically we've used this complex algorithm we won't bore you with to determine that all people born in March are shy and all people born in September will meet a friendly stranger next Tuesday.
Sounds like something you might find at a Chiroquacktor's office.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Sounds like something you might find at a Chiroquacktor's office.

It refers to 'wellness practitioners' without a hint of irony.

Takes a hell of an actor(or a total dumbass) to pull that off.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
So what you're saying is that music is math?
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
All mater is believed to have a certain wavelength and therefore a frequency that can be attributed to it, yes. It's called the de Broglie wavelength and it has a big load of shitall to do with sound. If you're trying to tell me you not only measured this with a fancy microphone (a mic ffs are you fvcking serious) but also managed to use it to determine the 'health' of a human being, then you are an utter bellend who should stick to yelling about how big pharma is lying to us about the true power of homeopathy.
There didn't seem to be a point to the OP. The first two paragraphs, cool, whatever - everything else smelled of bovine excrement, but there still didn't seem to be point to it. It didn't go anywhere.

6/10 You should've talked about how we and everything else are all harmonics and oscillations of the ONE TRUE FREQUENCY and how TO KNOW NIRVANA IS TO EXPERIENCE THE OMKARA OF THE UNIVERSAL BODY! Ya know, something like that.
Here are some scholarly articles concerning the same technology (you assholes):

Vocal acoustic analysis as a biometric indicator of information processing: Implications for neurological and psychiatric disorders.

Acoustic Analysis of Voices of Patients with Neurologic Disease: Rationale and Preliminary Data

Neurological Disease Detection and Monitoring from Voice Production

Bioelectromagnetism

I guess the point was to raise a topic of discussion which I find to be quite novel and interesting. I'm not trying to sell you anything, I just think that it's a cool concept and probably the future of medicine.
I have learned that everything is built on a single formula. So far part of that formula is the Fibonacci sequence. 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144
I imagine it as a computer algorithm that produced all living life. From humans to trees to sea animals to everything. Humans are full of it. You can map out everything on the human body to the golden ratio. From vaginas to faces to fingers to everything. EVERYTHING. The wiring of our neurons to the wiring of our blood vessels to EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING! I cant stress this enough. Everything that is alive follows this formula. Fish have 5 fins, or 13 fins. Trees slit off into fractals too. Everything man, EVERYTHING is built upon the Fibonacci sequence. If I havent convinced you of everything yet, then look it up yourself. How can all life be based on the same formula? That doesnt make any sense. From the shape of our galaxy to the shape of our hands. How can this be? How can the entire universe be based on one formula?

How can light cover all areas of a surface? If you popped a water balloon, water would shoot out at all angles, but there would be tiny gaps in between water drops. Light is different. It shoots out in waves instead of particles, but if you decide to look at it, it ****ing stops and becomes a particle again. WTF? How can light shoot out of a light buld at all possible angles and not have any line gaps, like when a kid draws sun rays, light doesnt travel in rays, it travels in waves. But I disagree!!!!!

I think it travels in really long fibonacci spirals that unwind like those birthday blow things that make obnoxious sounds. I think light is wrapped up like one of those and when it shines it unwinds, but with an indefinite length. It just constantly unwinds. But the actual photon itself is the tip of the kazoo thing. The crazy part is its not just one kazoo thing, it is unwinding from all angles. Like if you turned it slightly and blew into it but all at once. EVERYTHING
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Bioacoustics is the study of acoustics used by living organisms, namely bats and dolphins. Echolocation, even stunning prey, that sort of thing.

The blind have even started using human echolocation, so that is probably under the umbrella of bioacoustics as well as anthropology, even psychology, neuroscience, etc.

Perhaps one day we will be able to point a microphone-like device at a person and "scan" them for disease, but that day is far off in the science fiction future. And why use sound? Why not electromagnetic radiation, infrared, so on?

The application of acoustics in the fields of biology and medicine come down to imaging that is creating a visual analog of what a structure "looks" like when a sound wave (or stereo signals) bounce off of it - and with the blind folks neurologists have found the visual cortex of the brain lighting up in response to the echolocation, which is a learned skill.

Bats "see" with sound much the same way, dolphins have an even more sophisticated ability to not only visualize (or soundify, lol) predators and prey alike in the dark ocean, as well as communicating over hundreds of miles (more a whale thing, but similar), and even hunting, as in overwhelming prey with sound rendering them helpless.

That's bioacoustics. Interesting stuff. Want to talk about that?
Quote by FrettieMercury
Bioacoustics is the study of acoustics used by living organisms, namely bats and dolphins. Echolocation, even stunning prey, that sort of thing.

My good sir, it would appear as though you have not read the "Bioacoustics" wikipedia article. Perhaps that is a good place to start, as your understanding of the term seems quite limited (to bats and dolphins, namely).

I will save you some time and paste their definition here, as it is fairly clear and comprehensive and because I am committed to furthering your understanding:

Quote by Wikipedia
Bioacoustics is a cross-disciplinary science that combines biology and acoustics. Usually it refers to the investigation of sound production, dispersion and reception in animals (including humans). This involves neurophysiological and anatomical basis of sound production and detection, and relation of acoustic signals to the medium they disperse through.

Furthermore, I don't care what you call it. I chose "Bioacoustics" because it is catchy, concise, accurate (in my view), and encompasses a wide array of related sciences.

The blind have even started using human echolocation, so that is probably under the umbrella of bioacoustics as well as anthropology, even psychology, neuroscience, etc.

Perhaps one day we will be able to point a microphone-like device at a person and "scan" them for disease, but that day is far off in the science fiction future. And why use sound? Why not electromagnetic radiation, infrared, so on?

On what grounds do you believe vocal acoustic analysis as a biometric indicator to be "far off in the science fiction future"?

I can only imagine that recording soundwaves would be much less costly than recording radiation, since most people already have audio recording devices readily available to them...in their homes, in their pockets, etc....
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Feb 25, 2015,
Quote by slapsymcdougal
It refers to 'wellness practitioners' without a hint of irony.

Takes a hell of an actor(or a total dumbass) to pull that off.

I'm sure they used that term because real doctors have yet to use vocal analysis in diagnosing disease.

So, too, am I sure it's more convenient to mock and dismiss an obscure, emerging technology than it is to try to come to some understanding of it.

Let's just assume that "Sound Health Inc." is indeed an organization of quacks. Let's put them aside and look at the principles behind it -- that everything inside of us can be measured and modeled mathematically to reveal the status of our health. Now ask yourself, honestly, if this is ridiculous pseudoscience.
Last edited by Arthur Curry at Feb 25, 2015,
Quote by Arthur Curry

Vocal acoustic analysis as a biometric indicator of information processing: Implications for neurological and psychiatric disorders.

Acoustic Analysis of Voices of Patients with Neurologic Disease: Rationale and Preliminary Data

Neurological Disease Detection and Monitoring from Voice Production

Bioelectromagnetism

I guess the point was to raise a topic of discussion which I find to be quite novel and interesting. I'm not trying to sell you anything, I just think that it's a cool concept and probably the future of medicine.

So how did you make the jump from "It's possible to detect neurological anomalies by analyzing speech patterns" (Which is reasonable, given that speech requires a significant amount of neurological activity) to "It's possible to determine one's overall health by analyzing speech patterns" which is pretty much horseshit?
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arthur Curry

yeah you assholes, get on his level
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Quote by ErikLensherr
I have learned that everything is built on a single formula. So far part of that formula is the Fibonacci sequence. 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144
I imagine it as a computer algorithm that produced all living life. From humans to trees to sea animals to everything. Humans are full of it. You can map out everything on the human body to the golden ratio. From vaginas to faces to fingers to everything. EVERYTHING. The wiring of our neurons to the wiring of our blood vessels to EVERYTHING. EVERYTHING! I cant stress this enough. Everything that is alive follows this formula. Fish have 5 fins, or 13 fins. Trees slit off into fractals too. Everything man, EVERYTHING is built upon the Fibonacci sequence. If I havent convinced you of everything yet, then look it up yourself. How can all life be based on the same formula? That doesnt make any sense. From the shape of our galaxy to the shape of our hands. How can this be? How can the entire universe be based on one formula?

How can light cover all areas of a surface? If you popped a water balloon, water would shoot out at all angles, but there would be tiny gaps in between water drops. Light is different. It shoots out in waves instead of particles, but if you decide to look at it, it ****ing stops and becomes a particle again. WTF? How can light shoot out of a light buld at all possible angles and not have any line gaps, like when a kid draws sun rays, light doesnt travel in rays, it travels in waves. But I disagree!!!!!

I think it travels in really long fibonacci spirals that unwind like those birthday blow things that make obnoxious sounds. I think light is wrapped up like one of those and when it shines it unwinds, but with an indefinite length. It just constantly unwinds. But the actual photon itself is the tip of the kazoo thing. The crazy part is its not just one kazoo thing, it is unwinding from all angles. Like if you turned it slightly and blew into it but all at once. EVERYTHING

ayy lmao
Quote by Arby911
So how did you make the jump from "It's possible to detect neurological anomalies by analyzing speech patterns" (Which is reasonable, given that speech requires a significant amount of neurological activity) to "It's possible to determine one's overall health by analyzing speech patterns" which is pretty much horseshit?

like so:

like so:

λλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλλ
Quote by Arthur Curry
Everything, at its most common denominator, is frequency.

ok, right

but what about the things that most clearly aren't?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Quote by Eastwinn
ok, right

but what about the things that most clearly aren't?

Like...love?
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Nah you can love at a high frequency ask your mum.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr

Oh, man, I was so gonna do this.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by ErikLensherr
Nah you can love at a high frequency ask your mum.

heheheh
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Things (namely atomic and subatomic particles) are in motion and create vibrations -> "Everything at its most common denominator is frequency."

Things (namely everything ever if you have powerful enough sensors) emit odors -> "Everything at its most common denominator is smells."

This is stupid logic.

Just because things have certain characteristics doesn't mean that those characteristics in turn are the root of that thing. Your causality is reversed
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by ErikLensherr

yeah

Quote by Dreadnought
Things (namely atomic and subatomic particles) are in motion and create vibrations -> "Everything at its most common denominator is frequency."

Things (namely everything ever if you have powerful enough sensors) emit odors -> "Everything at its most common denominator is smells."

This is stupid logic.

Just because things have certain characteristics doesn't mean that those characteristics in turn are the root of that thing. Your causality is reversed

the smells happen when certain molecules interact with your olfactory receptors. those are made out of atoms, which are made out of quarks and leptons and shit which all have frequencies of some kind. your argument is invalid.
The frequency domain is so boring.

Basically, to dumb it down since the OP failed miserably:

Frequencies are like the ingredients in a drink (boring) and the magnitude is how much of that ingredient is present, the signal in time is what you get when you mix all the frequencies together. You can't immediately see the frequencies just like you can't see the ingredients in a drink, so we use something called the Fourier transform which is maths magic for transforming the signal-in-time to the frequency domain in order to get the frequencies and their respective magnitudes.

A sine wave has a positive and negartive frequency component in it (ideally, but not realistically speaking). The simplest tone is a sine wave. A signal can be represented as the sum of a whole bunch of sine waves with different phase shifts (time delays) by using the Fourier transform.

Where it gets somewhat interesting is when you have period signals. A triangle wave (partially responsible for that "flute" sound you can get with a Minimoog) has frequency spikes at specific harmonics and of specific magnitudes. We filter (remove some of the low or high frequency spikes) in order to make the triangle wave sound softer or sharper.

I only skimmed what the OP posted but it seems they think they can detect ailments a person may have by looking at the frequency spectra (their voice in the frequency domain) and looking for specific patterns or frequency spikes.
Last edited by CaptainRon at Feb 26, 2015,
Page 1 of 2