Hi anyone tried the Digitech Hardwire HW CM2 I'm looking for a pedal for rockabilly and blues i don't need high gain but would like clean boost, i'd be using it into a 20watt tube amp would like to keep the cost down say £65 or $100 US.
No stores near me so would buy on line trouble is most overdrive reviews use quite hi gain so hard to judge if they would suit my needs
It gives a pretty good kick; I used it to boost an already dirty amp for a solo boost using just the level and that was enough. It has a little bit of a mid bump/honk to it. Good for the price and not a big pedal, though I personally went with a green rhino (used around $60-$80) because it had a mid curve knob.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
The Soul Food and the CM2 are very different overdrives. Both can boost, the SF is a lot more subtle but besides that the CM2 can do everything else the SF does and then some. The CM2 has a normal TS mode and a Modern mode that makes the notes pretty chunky, I dig it for blues. Both pedals get along with others but the CM2 can get pretty noisy if the gains up and its being boosted instead of doing the boosting. I'd say, if this is gonna be your only od pedal, get a used Fulltone Full-Drive 2.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
^ I could be wrong, but with the price an FD2 goes for here in the UK new, I'm not sure £65 would get you one second-hand. But I could well be wrong.

CM2 is pretty good. It's fairly tubescreamery (but not exact) but with a bit more headroom/less compression, and more volume boost on tap. And a bit more versatile.

if you want something that's more tubescreamery the visual sound route 808 is ~£55 on thomann. the cm2 is probably a bit more versatile but the route 808 does the ts thing a little better IMO.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i use a CM-2 and love it. it does work well as a straight boost as well as an overdrive. it features a very responsive eq section. it is a tubescreamer style pedal with the mid bump etc associated with a tubescreamer.

for rockabilly and cleaner blues i might be more inclined to go with an actual clean boost as most of them don't color your amp tone much. the EHX Soul food may be a good option or somehting like the clean boost made by Exotic.
the cm2 is going for £45 on Thomann at the moment i do love the clean tone of my amp so i wouldn't want to colour it too much i'll take a look at the exotic pedal i also like the sound of the joyo sweet baby and the fulltone fatboost again can only here these on youtube so rely on the reviewers playing style
just been looking at the exotic bb comp sounds really nice not sure about the price, though you get what you pay for
^ the digitech screamin blues is pretty transparent if you use it as a boost (and it has a fair bit of level boost on tap). I wouldn't be as fond of it as a standalone overdrive, though. it's very cheap, though, around £20. it's (far as i'm aware) basically a boss blues driver with an added bass knob.

soul food is a good shout, too. there have been some complaints about EHX reliability, but the tone is good. it's more or less a klon centaur clone.

the sweet baby is pretty nice too, but is a very low gain overdrive. it's a mad professor sweet honey clone. again you have the possible reliability problems, though.

Quote by monwobobbo
i use a CM-2 and love it. it does work well as a straight boost as well as an overdrive. it features a very responsive eq section. it is a tubescreamer style pedal with the mid bump etc associated with a tubescreamer.

for rockabilly and cleaner blues i might be more inclined to go with an actual clean boost as most of them don't color your amp tone much. the EHX Soul food may be a good option or somehting like the clean boost made by Exotic.

yeah that's a good point. i think the cm2 might be a little more transparent that straighter TS clones- but it's not really what i'd call transparent, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Feb 26, 2015,
I love my CM2, sturdy pedal that did the Tubescreamer thing and so much more. I really like using it as a standalone drive with the hot-switch engaged, very juicy tone. As others have said, you may want something a little bit more transparent as it does have a pretty significant mid boost, though with the separate treble and bass controls you can normally get some pretty balanced sounds out of it.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
if you want to keep as much of your amps tone unaffected as possible than a clean boost is the way to go. the CM-2 as mentioned does a good boost but it does have a mid hump (as any good TS style pedal would). some of that can be taken out withthe EQ but it never toatally goes away.

now if you want the best of both worlds then look at a T-Rex Crunchy Frog. it has a TS style overdrive and a clean boost in the same pedal. they can be used seperately or together. it also has a blend knob so you can mix the straight tone with the pedal tone for more control. it's kinda on the bright side but it works fine with my Strat and is great with my humbucker guitars.
When people say "transparent" when talking about overdrives do they mean that it doesn't have the typical TS mid bump? I've wondered that for a while.

Also, I had been curious about the Hardwire overdrive when I was looking but my guitar center didn't have any. How would they work for a high gain rig?

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
When people say "transparent" when talking about overdrives do they mean that it doesn't have the typical TS mid bump? I've wondered that for a while.

Also, I had been curious about the Hardwire overdrive when I was looking but my guitar center didn't have any. How would they work for a high gain rig?

yeah transparent means that it doesn't color the signal going into the amp. the CM-2 works fine with high gain as well as lower gain or clean. overall its a great overdrive. i use mine with my Peavey Valveking for blues type stuff and 70s style hard/rock - metal. i also use it with my Peavey Ultra 2x12 for higher gain music. no problems and i don't see myself letting mine go anytime soon.
Quote by Tremolo Bum

Yeah pretty much. Normally has more bass as well since a TS has a bass cut.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
been looking at the green rhino as suggested by Maidenheadsteve sounds really nice to my ears how does it clean up, also love the exotic bb preamp although a little pricey don't really need high gain play mainly rockabilly and blues also like a bit of Santana at home
Quote by cyprussid
been looking at the green rhino as suggested by Maidenheadsteve sounds really nice to my ears how does it clean up, also love the exotic bb preamp although a little pricey don't really need high gain play mainly rockabilly and blues also like a bit of Santana at home

green rhino is another TS style pedal. it is a very good one. while the exotic is a bit pricey i think it is your best bet to get what you want.
i do like the sound of the BB preamp on youtube it's the price thats the killer and i like the seperate bass knob which is why i looked at the cm2, would i get close to the bb with the cm2 or is that too much to ask at the price you guys all really helping out here thanks
It's tough to say considering you haven't tried either with your rig. Can you run the BB Preamp in front of your amp or does it need to be in the fx loop for optimal performance? In my experience, the price of a pedal may have some correlation to the build quality, but the sound is purely subjective. I tried a Wampler distortion pedal a couple weeks ago that my ears wouldn't trade my DOD Grunge pedal for. I've never seen a cheaper compressor than the one I have/use/love. You just never really know til you try it with your stuff. If you really want the BB, get the BB. Or the CM2.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by cyprussid
i do like the sound of the BB preamp on youtube it's the price thats the killer and i like the seperate bass knob which is why i looked at the cm2, would i get close to the bb with the cm2 or is that too much to ask at the price you guys all really helping out here thanks

tough to say. i've played through the BB to check it out but never had it side by side with a CM-2. i think the CM-2 will color you amp's tone a little regardless of how you set the EQ. whether you can live with that or not is up to you. the CM-2 will be more versatile than the Exotic for sure. take a look at a T-Rex Crunchy Frog as that will do both as i mentioned. not sure how hard tehy are to get these days or how much but i'm guessing it would be cheaper than the BB.
i think caline does a cheapo clone of the BB. I've never tried it, and I'm guessing the build quality isn't amazing, but if that's the tone you know you want a clone might make more sense than something which uses a different circuit.

Mooer does a-bit-more-expensive-but-still-cheaper-than-xotic clones of the RC and AC boosts, the pure boost and flex boost respectively. I think. I've only tried the pure boost from mooer and I haven't tried the xotic originals.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by monwobobbo
if you want to keep as much of your amps tone unaffected as possible than a clean boost is the way to go. the CM-2 as mentioned does a good boost but it does have a mid hump (as any good TS style pedal would). some of that can be taken out withthe EQ but it never toatally goes away.

now if you want the best of both worlds then look at a T-Rex Crunchy Frog. it has a TS style overdrive and a clean boost in the same pedal. they can be used seperately or together. it also has a blend knob so you can mix the straight tone with the pedal tone for more control. it's kinda on the bright side but it works fine with my Strat and is great with my humbucker guitars.

Hi took a look at the crunchy frog really like that think it would suit the stuff i do thanks
Quote by Dave_Mc
i think caline does a cheapo clone of the BB. I've never tried it, and I'm guessing the build quality isn't amazing, but if that's the tone you know you want a clone might make more sense than something which uses a different circuit.

Mooer does a-bit-more-expensive-but-still-cheaper-than-xotic clones of the RC and AC boosts, the pure boost and flex boost respectively. I think. I've only tried the pure boost from mooer and I haven't tried the xotic originals.

i'll take a look at the mooer and the caline thanks
Quote by monwobobbo
tough to say. i've played through the BB to check it out but never had it side by side with a CM-2. i think the CM-2 will color you amp's tone a little regardless of how you set the EQ. whether you can live with that or not is up to you. the CM-2 will be more versatile than the Exotic for sure. take a look at a T-Rex Crunchy Frog as that will do both as i mentioned. not sure how hard tehy are to get these days or how much but i'm guessing it would be cheaper than the BB.

took a look at the crunchy frog sounds really cool and they're a good price on ebay like the boost when you back the gain off do they give a clean tone or is there always certain amount of gain
Quote by cyprussid
took a look at the crunchy frog sounds really cool and they're a good price on ebay like the boost when you back the gain off do they give a clean tone or is there always certain amount of gain

the boost runs independent of the overdrive section. it has it's own level control and on / off switch. if your amp is running clean then just turn off the boost and your good to go. of course you can combine the overdrive and boost as well. it's a really versatile pedal. the only drawback that it has is that it is a fairly bright pedal. with my humbucker guitars that can be a good thing with my strats i have to turn down the tone control a fair amount.
how does the crunchy frog compare with the soulfood or the green rhino and would a fulltone fulldrive 2 give me pretty much everything the other 3 do