I recently acquired a DigiTech hot head pedal. I didn't know it wasnt working. I didn't pay for it either....gift. Anyway, I was going to put new battery in but when I took the old oneoiut it was so corroded the negative terminal came off the battery connector on the pedal. So I went to plug it in to a power supply on my pedal board. The light came on but could not shut it off. Very faint light I might add. So I know it gets power.

I finally got the back off the board came out and upon inspection of the PC board I noticed that one section of the board was corroded as much as the battery terminals were. As of right now I've been scratching the corrosion off with a small pocket knife. While doing this I am also scratching the green silicone off of the copper leads to make sure that there are no broken connections. I am doing this randomly as I don't feel the need to look at all connections.

So what I'm wondering is this: is it possible that the corrosion was affecting the proper voltages to flow through the circuit properly. Could it be that after cleaning the contacts, current flows will be what they should and I'll be able to use this pedal? Or since I've been reading the very few articles I could find, could this thing be toast and probably not worth the effort to repair?

The resisiters and ICS are so damn tiny I doubt I'll be able to get all the corrosion from some of the contacts but I will be trying!

Anyway, any advice about something like this would be greatly appreciated!

I'm no electronics guy but I know a little. It looks like there are no less than three sections of components. There is only one section that has corrosion build up but not a lot. Every contact is corroded. On the reverse side of the pedal I had to scrape some of the plastic to remove corrosion from those. They look way better now than they did. None of the chips or resisters seems to be exploded or deformed at all but I understand this means nothing when it comes to electronics.

Thanks y'all!
Play the Art that Plays
I don't think it's worth trying to fix. If you were a pedal builder, you probably could fix it. You might be able to take a multimeter to each connection to see where it breaks. But I know as much or less then you, really A cap might be busted as well, inner wire might be broken, etc.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 25, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
If you were a pedal builder, you probably could fix it. You might be able to take a multimeter to each connection to see where it breaks.

This is what I do to find my fried components and replace them. Unfortunately, this process is extremely tedious and frustrating, especially if you don't know a whole lot about circuits.

Whenever components get fried, the damage is pretty much never obvious to the naked eye, and almost impossible to detect if you don't know how to debug a circuit.

If you decide you want to tackle it yourself, check out these resources:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/debug.html
http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/fixfx.htm

I know how frustrating this can be (I've spent many hours repairing Big Muffs specifically), but if you really want to learn, don't give up! Good luck!
~GEAR~

'93 Fender Duo Sonic Reissue

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12