So I have a friend with a 1988 showcase Gibson Les paul custom with the lite body, and coil taps , he sold the pickguard, repainted the body red and black striped , and the headstock has little under bubbles from lack of climate control. First what colors did the 88 showcase come in? Has anyone had gibson restore a paint job? If so, how much about would it cost, and does an official Gibson restore paint fix the value? Lastly assuming everything else is pristine, and it has an OHSC, would $1,000.00 be reasonable for this guitar?

OR

there is an add on craigslist for a 2013 Gibson les paul signature T, with all case candy, and flawless shape. Alpine white. This one is $1,100.00

Hard to chose, want to make the best investment choice while getting a quality sound.

Thanks
Last edited by pks330 at Feb 25, 2015,
I have one of the showcase editions. I haven't seen enough of them sell to know a correct end value. I would think Gibson would charge way too much for a refin for it to be worth the investment. It would still be a refinished guitar that would greatly devalue its collector value.

As far as it being worth a grand, if it is a great player, set up well and in good general shape then its still a les paul custom so it should be a fair value at a grand. Take this with a grain of salt though.

Did the current refinish go all the way back to the wood, or was the old clear just scuffed and painted over?
Quote by Fastmerc
I have one of the showcase editions. I haven't seen enough of them sell to know a correct end value. I would think Gibson would charge way too much for a refin for it to be worth the investment. It would still be a refinished guitar that would greatly devalue its collector value.

As far as it being worth a grand, if it is a great player, set up well and in good general shape then its still a les paul custom so it should be a fair value at a grand. Take this with a grain of salt though.

Did the current refinish go all the way back to the wood, or was the old clear just scuffed and painted over?

Just top coat thankfully, the back and neck are still super shape. As far as how deep, looks professionally done, so probably sanded down and redone. Its just an ugly color for a lp imo
Last edited by pks330 at Feb 25, 2015,
a little research shows the custom lite showcase model would have been a gold top originally
Okay, I had heard rumor of 3 colors, wasn't sure if it was only gold, thanks for confirmation.
there were two other colors just not on the lite. I have the full custom which is kindof a rust color, some call it gold metallic rose, there are other names...Im not sure of the official gibson title. they also did a standard in a silver burst.