I dunno why I'm hesitating on this but when there are two guitarists in a band is it better to pan one guitarist left and one right or is it better to pan Guitarist 1 Track A left Guitarist 2 Track A left - Guitarist 1 Track B Right Guitarist 2 Track B Right?

We recorded the guitars by micing the amp and using a DI which I then put Amplitube on for a double.
Quote by anthsband

We recorded the guitars by micing the amp and using a DI which I then put Amplitube on for a double.

first of all, don't do that. that will not give you the double tracked sound.

and for the question, it depends on the kind of sound you're after and the parts your guitarist play.

For a extreme heavy sound you'll maybe like 2 rhythm tracks left and 2 right.
for not so heavy sounds you'll maybe want 1 left 1 right.
it just depends.
Quote by jaspervdv
first of all, don't do that. that will not give you the double tracked sound

There are lots of ways to double or thicken the track. Play it twice, record amp+DI (use plugin later), copy paste amp recording and nudge it over, use a tiny bit of delay on two tracks, reamping (which I could do if I wanted). What can I say I took one of the laziest options, but since my band mates didn't listen to me earlier in the entire process when I wanted to record separately with a click track...I really don't care haha

Here's a short clip of what we have going so far:
https://soundcloud.com/sudden-deaf/harmonious-death-teaser
Last edited by anthsband at Feb 25, 2015,
I know there are lots of ways, but nothing can beat the thick sound of legit double tracked guitars.
but yeah, if your mates are not listening that will not work

however, for this kind of music i'll go for 2 tracks right and 2 tracks left .
or one middle, one left and one right.
For not double tracked stuff
It will not make a massive difference i think.
What i've done in the past is group the two guitar tracks together (Adam L+R, Harry L+R), 95/100% pan them, then once they are mixed together by themselves i'll consider moving the guitar tracks in the stereo field, so i'd probably end up putting one persons guitar group 40% and the other to something similar.

It depends on what is being played though, sometimes can be harder to decide where to fit it in if it's a 'Rhythm and solo over it' thing going on.
Plus i'm speaking when i've done two recordings through entirely the same setup, so mixing the two guitarists tracks into L+R might take a bit more thought.
Not a suggestion I'm afraid but a more general question: is there any merit in putting both tracks for one guitarist on the left (say 95/100) and the both the other guitarists tracks on the right? Surely this would give more of a "live" sound.