Hello everyone,

for some of my songs I use a Wah pedal to get a woosh-effect (the only way to describe it is to listen to the following song of my band. Maybe it sounds like a phaser?).

It ends with a big bang

This recording was done years ago with the wah of a Boss ME-50 multi-fx. Since two years I replaced this unit with separate pedals. A major upgrade with a lot of trial and error.

I'm pleased for now with all my pedals, except my Ernia Ball 6185 Wah. I have had about 4 different Wah pedals, none of them suits me or give me the sound I desire.
The only wah wich was perfect for me, was the one in the Boss ME-50... It was not too harsh, was more subtle than most wah's I've heard and had the largest physical sweep (I mean from heel down to toe down) I've felt wich all were perfect for the sound I'm looking for.

The sound I'm referring to is the one in the song from 5:39 - 6:47. I did this on clean with lots of reverb, a delay and the wah pedal of the ME-50. Between 5:39 and 6:47 I gently open up the wah from heel down to toe down, to give the "woosh" effect.

Now my problem with my Ernie Ball Wah (and all others before) is:

- the physical distance between closed and open is too short, wich is important to give it a smoother sweep
- the eq sweep is not big enough
- noisy (activating +
- it sounds too harsh...
- the "knee" is too drastic, the sweep has to be as smooth as possible without a sudden jump in eq
- and what bugs me the most is that it distorts heavily on clean settings. It is more audible while the heel is down...

My wah is the first in line of my pedals and my gains (all from the amp) are at 60% at my most "extreme" settings.

I hear great things about the sweeps of fulltone and morley wah's.

Do you guys know a wah wich is smooth and clean, that will not distort on clean settings, preferably noiseless and has both a "huge" eq and physical sweep?

For the record: I only use the wah along with delay, slight to heavy reverb (without being drowned out) and both with clean and crunch channels. I did however tried to only use the wah. The same results.

My main gear:
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (2006)
Amp and cab:
Blackstar Stage HT100
Peavey Valveking 412 (soon to be replaced by an Orange PPC212OB)
Pedals:
Strymon BlueSky (fx Loop)
Boss DD20 (fx Loop)
Boss TR2 (fx Loop)
MXR Dyna Comp
Ernie Ball 6185 Wah
Boss FV-500H volume pedal
Boss OD-2 (very old, got it for free )
All powered by a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus

My genres: Indie, post-rock, stadiumrock (shitty term), grunge etc.
Bands in comparison: Foo Fighters, U2, Radiohead, Mogwai, Pearl Jam, Snow Patrol, etc.
Pretty ambient sounds, also in our "pop" sounding songs.
I've been an avid Wah-Wah player for years, and often had similar thoughts - (more space, less crispness, etc.) - Ive played some $400 Dollar Custom Wah's and sure, they sounded great, but at what expense. If you are looking to nail it, right down the frequency of that track, there's some research to be done, and sadly, I'm not the guitarist to call it.

So, in my piquancy for keeping it simple, my suggestion is low budget, and easy- I think if you want that whoosh effect, pair your Wah up with a Small Stone set with the color/shape on and at a super low setting, bend the Wah with the phase shifter.

You'd have a better understanding if you knew the exact rig the artist was using, and I suppose even then there's studio EQ'ing that could have added to it. But, I'd bet that a combo Phase Shifter and a Vox Wah might hit it pretty stinking close.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
I have a morley tremonti wah that I don't like because it has such a big sweep.....maybe try one of those? it also has a boost level that controls how much it will distort I would like one with less sweep myself something like a red hot chilli vibe
Last edited by dlowe102 at Feb 25, 2015,
Quote by Jonny Ryan Mac
I've been an avid Wah-Wah player for years, and often had similar thoughts - (more space, less crispness, etc.) - Ive played some $400 Dollar Custom Wah's and sure, they sounded great, but at what expense. If you are looking to nail it, right down the frequency of that track, there's some research to be done, and sadly, I'm not the guitarist to call it.

So, in my piquancy for keeping it simple, my suggestion is low budget, and easy- I think if you want that whoosh effect, pair your Wah up with a Small Stone set with the color/shape on and at a super low setting, bend the Wah with the phase shifter.

You'd have a better understanding if you knew the exact rig the artist was using, and I suppose even then there's studio EQ'ing that could have added to it. But, I'd bet that a combo Phase Shifter and a Vox Wah might hit it pretty stinking close.

Thanks for your reply!

I am the artist ;-) I just don't use the same wah anymore, because it's stuck on a multi-fx (I still have it) and I only use separate pedals. I could use it along with my pedalboard, but it was a tonesucker and it just too big to also put it next or in front of my pedalboard.

As far as I know, the sound your hear was the sound I played, without any further eq adjustments (just basic guitar eq).

Thanks for the advice on the phase shifter, but I try to avoid an extra pedal because in this particular song it would make me dance on my pedals, BUT I will look into it. It is indeed something that comes very close to the sound I'm looking for.

Other suggestions are more than welcome

Quote by dlowe102
I have a morley tremonti wah that I don't like because it has such a big sweep.....maybe try one of those? it also has a boost level that controls how much it will distort I would like one with less sweep myself something like a red hot chilli vibe

I've also checked out the morley tremonti on youtube because I dig Tremonti's sound A LOT. I haven't been able to test one out myself and the vid's on youtube are rather disappointing...
What kind of sweep do you mean with big sweep? Physical or eq?
Sounds like you need a 535Q or similar that you can shape the wah eq and sweep parameters. The ones with the most flexibility are on DME pedals.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
+1 the 535q is worth a shot. i just put aside my morley bad horsie 2 for one of them. phenomenal wah pedal.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
+1 again ont he 535Q, love mine. Have the second to last bassiest setting on the frequency control and the Q all the way up. Giant sweep. Also the 105Q bass wah has a big sweep with a high Q but the sound on guitar is not for everyone. I know Brent Hinds from Mastodon uses it as his main wah.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
Get the Crybaby from hell. It's like a 535 but it has a fine tune (bass/treble) control. Even more adjustable.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
I had an Ibanez weeping demon a while back and from what I remember the physical sweep of the pedal was pretty large. The pedal was very adjustable including the Q and range. It also had some nifty features to go with it like spring or normal footboard operation and it could turn on automatically or manually. It might be worth a look.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
the rack version of the crybaby maybe...
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
the full tone clyde wahs actually have a longer physical sweep. i have the standard. i got it used <$100, which is an absolute fcuking steal. there is also the deluxe for a good variety. way better quality than a crybaby.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Full sized Morleys have a huge sweep. Even my little Maverick moves further than a crybaby.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Full sized Morleys have a huge sweep. Even my little Maverick moves further than a crybaby.

the fulltone has a longer sweep than a crybaby. it doesn't take much to have a longer sweep than a crybaby. i haven't messed with a Morley for a wile, but the fulltone definitely has a long sweep than a crybaby.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
+1 Crybaby from Hell. I love mine.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Thanks all!

I had a crybaby once, one of the cheapest I think. I don't know the exact type. To me the physical sweep was incredibly short, totally uncomfortable unusable for the purpose I need it for. Sold it the same day

How is the sweep of the 595Q compared to that of other Dunlop wah's?
And the Crybaby from hell?

I checked both out on youtube and to me the Crybaby from hell has more options on dialing out the sound I need.

Both fulltone and morley have crossed my mind because they visually appear to have a greater physical sweep but the Fulltone's are expensive and I don't like the activation button on the Morley's. In the heat of a gig pressing this tiny button wich is too close to my taste to the pedal itself sounds like a real pain. But I can be wrong
I have four Wah pedals, a Cry Baby (standard version), an old Maestro Boomerang, a Vox and an Ibanez Weeping Demon. I like the Ibanez at the moment because it has an automatic on/off sensor that activates when you move the pedal and shuts off automatically when you take your foot off the pedal. There is a control that allows you to set how long it takes for the pedal to shut off so it's not abrupt when you take your foot off. It also has a fairly good output volume control and a balance control to balance the signal with the pure Wah tone.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I think that Morley would be a good bet, or anything spring loaded, simply because they are easier to subtly manipulate which sounds like what you need. The range on most of them is also quite nice, and they cut through overdriven tones like a champ. I miss mine all the time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I like the Zack Wylde Wah sweep. Might be the widest/deepest, but it always felt very fat and throaty.....

I'm not good at explaining what a wah sounds like, so I just repeat the same verbiage that everyone else uses
This may be a stupid question but is it a natural behaviour of a wah to distort your clean signal? Because when I hear for example funk

As I said in my original post it distorts pretty hard on my clean channel with the heel down. It is very clean with the Wah off! I tried different settings on my clean channel without the usual delay or reverb, played with the channel and master volume: All the same, distortion everytime.

I also noticed how much of a difference in signal I had just by activating the wah. And it sounds awful in every position of the wah. Time of denial is over, I'm coming to the point of frustration everything sounds bad now
It has a level control, yes? If it is up so that the signal is higher with it on than with it off then it will distort the preamp of the amp. It's normal, and a feature some of us like. If you don't want it to distort, turn it down.

Btw. There are two types of Morley wah switching systems. Some, like the Bad Horsey and the Maverick turn on as you move the pedal. Also in existence are the Power Wahs (PWA) which have a wah on/off switch beside the treadle.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It has a level control, yes? If it is up so that the signal is higher with it on than with it off then it will distort the preamp of the amp. It's normal, and a feature some of us like. If you don't want it to distort, turn it down.

Btw. There are two types of Morley wah switching systems. Some, like the Bad Horsey and the Maverick turn on as you move the pedal. Also in existence are the Power Wahs (PWA) which have a wah on/off switch beside the treadle.

As far as I know I don't think it has a level control... Maybe I missed it?
It's this wah.

I did not know that of those Morley's you mentioned. I'll look it up.
ive heard the joe bonamassa crybaby has a wider sweep, but I haven't heard it in person.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
OP- are you talking tonal sweep? or physical sweep? i assume you want physical.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
OP- are you talking tonal sweep? or physical sweep? i assume you want physical.

Both, but most importantly: Physical sweep with the option to dial out the tone, if possible.
Quote by humbucky
Both, but most importantly: Physical sweep with the option to dial out the tone, if possible.

i know i already said this, but the fulltone clyde has a physically longer sweep, if you look at it you can see. the deluxe has more adjustments, but my clyde is great. i think there is an internal trim pot that allows for adjustment on the standard though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I've also checked out the morley tremonti on youtube because I dig Tremonti's sound A LOT. I haven't been able to test one out myself and the vid's on youtube are rather disappointing...
What kind of sweep do you mean with big sweep? Physical or eq?

More so the eq. Im not a fan of it because of the radical difference. I want a subtle wha myself
I'm pretty sure I can adjust my CFH's physical sweep quite a bit it came with a wrench to do so I'll check it when I'm at home and post back.
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
I'm pretty sure I can adjust my CFH's physical sweep quite a bit it came with a wrench to do so I'll check it when I'm at home and post back.

i would be interested to hear back if you can.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Wahoo by Sonuus may be overkill for you, but you can customize your wah to have any breadth and depth of sweep you want (and save it as a patch). There's something like 99 different wah type effects, along with 30 or so types of wah that you can customize and change (and save 99 patches). No pots in this one to wear out... it uses a patented sensor (super quiet).