hello everybody. its finally time for me to invest in a tube amp. i need something that i can record, practice, and play small gigs with. is 15w enough? should i be looking at combo amps or a small stack? the laney cub head+2x12 cabinet looks pretty awesome.. advice? my band plays a lot of punk and alternative. i use a 1995 fender strat and an 80's fender esprit. Thanks!
Totally enough.

Ive been playing an Orange Tiny Terror at 15watts out of 1 12" speaker for well over a year live in various venues. It gets the job done nicely, assuming headroom isn't your #1 concern.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
i dont know much about headroom, with 15 watts, will i still be able to get cleans at the higher volumes?
Indeed. I do - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9VdG_2JA8 - This was my TT on straight clean, back mic'd, mind you, but I've done gigs without it. This should give you that clean sound, skip ahead to about 2:30 on the video - a lot of up front mason stuff we did for this charity show.

This was a TT through a Big Muff w/ electronic drums - plenty loud, and Ive carried the drums several times over. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EPGgngWvpk

This video has the TT doing both cleans and grit and wah-wah, with loud ass drums and no back Mic - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U03ljgb_a3Q
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Headroom basically refers to how clean your amp will be at high volumes. Typically, the more watts you have, the more headroom you have.

You probably will not get very good cleans out of the Esprit with a 15W amp. If you have single coils on the Strat and you roll the volume back a bit, you might get a reasonably clean tone.

I used to own a Fender HRD. That's a 40W amp and I couldn't get good cleans out of it at high volumes. Both of my guitars have humbuckers. My Schecter sounded like I was playing with an OD on.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Last edited by nick.culliton at Feb 25, 2015,
I play in a punk Hardcore band and I use a 20watt Krank 1980 Jr head and a 2x12 with Celestion G12h30 speakers. It can do gigs and I play in a fairly loud band. The Krank does have a good clean channel

But that being said most small wattage amps I have tried for high-gain don't really cut it in a band setting for me. The Orange 15 watt terror series was not loud enough for me and I tried several different models : Tiny terror, OR15 and Jim Root #4. I have no evperience with the Laney but I'd be skeptical after playing the Cub 12 combo.

Diamond makes the Assassin which can hang. The Jet Citty JCA22h would be a good choice also

But what is your budget and location, it can help us find you some deals.

No 15 watts will not give you good cleans at loud volumes.

^^ I don't want to be that guy, but the sound absolutely sucks in those videos. Maybe if it was recorded better , but the cleans are very dirty and you guys are not very loud and far away from punk
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 25, 2015,
i can spend about $500. should i consider more power? is there a difference between a combo and stack with the same wattage?
Last edited by jumpnjax at Feb 25, 2015,
Not really. If you found a combo of an amp and found a head of the same combo, different speakers will break up and sound differently, but that's about it. It all depends what you think you need. If you want a loud, but affordable amp with good cleans, look at a used Peavey VK212. It'll run you ~$300.

Peavey Classic 30 112 and 50 212 and 410 would also be good ideas.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
Quote by jumpnjax
i can spend about $500. should i consider more power? is there a difference between a combo and stack with the same wattage?

Let me see what I can dig up for you

Combos are typically open-back but cabs are often closed-back which helps the bass responce
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Here is a Peavey Ultra head for $329
www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Ultra-120-Tube-Guitar-Amp-Head-110897781-i4190245.gc
You can get Peavey cabs for $150-$200 all the time.

Here is a Jet City 50watt combo that would work great for $509.99
www.guitarcenter.com/Jet-City-Amplification-Used-Jet-City-Amplification-333-50w-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110092553-i3733398.gc
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
For cleans at volume, what about a Vox AC15? They're 15watts and plenty loud enough for small gigs. Are those still around $500?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by kangaxxter
For cleans at volume, what about a Vox AC15? They're 15watts and plenty loud enough for small gigs. Are those still around $500?
They are over $500 new, but used TS might find a good price.

Since TS plays punk and alternative, he's going to want something fairly tight and actually a good gain channel to boost with.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 25, 2015,
After gigging for 15 years with a 45 watt Fender Super Reverb, it won't give me good cleans if I have to crank it past 7 on the volume knob. A 15 watt amp would have to be maxed to keep up. I wouldn't go below 30 watts for gigging at moderate to loud volume levels.

I've played combos and stacks, don't really have preference, the difference in sound is mostly that the bass gets a tighter response with a closed cabinet. The 10" speakers in the Super Reverb do a pretty good job for an open back combo, bass is not quite as flabby as 12" open back combos can get.

Peavey Classic 30 and 50 have been mentioned. I love the Classic 50, excellent amp, the 30 is too bright and does not get much in the bass department. I modded one for a friend, cost about 10 bucks and not easy to get in and out of the chassis, but he was blown away when he heard the difference. All it takes is a couple of capacitors.

Haven't heard or played the 410 version, the 212 version of the Classic 50 is a great amp, I passed a chance at one years ago and still kick myself when I think of it...for $200 it was a deal, in almost mint condition maybe 2 years old, I really screwed up...In your shoes I would definitely check those out.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Peavey Classic 410 might be my favorite amp I've ever played. It's lighter than my VK212 as well. No idea how that works.

If only it had an effects loop... *sigh*

TS, if you need an effects loop, check out a Fender DeVille 410. 60W amp, but it sounds like a Fender amp and wants you to sound like a Fender. Peaveys have been much more transparent to my ears.
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I've been doing a few gigs with my RM20 combo lately and it has been ok. I run it on a stand in front of me facing the rest of the band with a mic on it. It has been quite decent but I am close to diming it so therefore no actual cleans. I am in a punk band as well so I don't actually need cleans.
Being an RM, I have my choice of preamp modules, I use my SLO one. The RM100 is certainly a better choice but the RM20 does get the job done ok. The RM100 takes three preamp modules, the RM20 has only one slot plus a tube boost circuit. For punk, one slot is all I use.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
so ive ended up at a point where im looking at 2 40w amps. i figure that will give me just the right amount of headroom for some jazz and clean tones, and will still be plenty loud for small venues. what are some opinions on:

1. Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40
2. Egnater Tweaker-40

thoughts?
Last edited by jumpnjax at Feb 26, 2015,
i don't think you'd go wrong with either of those.

but i'm a fan of the egnater tweakers.

partly because you can cut letters off the logo to spell gnat.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
They're both good amps, but the Tweaker has good cleans AND better distortion so you'll get more variety out of it
Have we established what genres we are talking about?

But anyway, going in blind, I'd have to say the Tweaker.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ c:
Quote by jumpnjax
hello everybody. its finally time for me to invest in a tube amp. i need something that i can record, practice, and play small gigs with. is 15w enough? should i be looking at combo amps or a small stack? the laney cub head+2x12 cabinet looks pretty awesome.. advice? my band plays a lot of punk and alternative. i use a 1995 fender strat and an 80's fender esprit. Thanks!

The Tweaker for sure then.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100