Page 1 of 8
What religion are you? Why are you that religion? If you aren't religious, why is that? Were you raised religious but lost religion at some point? What cause you to lose religion? What religions have you experienced in your life and do you think they had any positive/negative effects on you?

Just wondering.
i'm a terrorist
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
"Spiritual Deist personally-created religion w/ hybridized influence from buddhism/tao/'jesus'tianity/The Alchemist based 'muslimness' that accepts science" masterrace reporting in

Too many experiences/odd things happened in my life to think "God is dead", but yeah, christians and atheists are about equal lvls of obnoxious imo
agnostic i think

whichever is the one where you're certain that there is no God or afterlife but at the same time if you die and it turns out you're wrong after all, you're pretty glad about it

like, i really want to be able to believe there is an afterlife so i dont have to deal with that horrible "never having another sentient thought for eternity" thing, but i just know that there isnt an afterlife and it ****ing sux
My parents were christian and my catholic grandmother lived with us for years, but I wouldn't say I was raised religious and I'm not. Was never made to go to church and aside from stuff like "God works in mysterious ways" nobody really talked about how cool Jesus was so idk.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

What religion are you?

I am baptised as a Christian but I am non-religious.

If you aren't religious, why is that?

I don't see the point in religion. It is a waste of time I can spend on other things, and I do not particularly believe in a divine creator. My education and life experiences have cemented these believes.

Were you raised religious but lost religion at some point?

I was baptised but never practised religion, and was never made to practise or worship by my parents.

What cause you to lose religion?

I can't ever remember having one.

What religions have you experienced in your life and do you think they had any positive/negative effects on you?

I had to go to Church sometimes for the Scouts. It was boring and even if I was Christian I don't think I'd participate in organised religion. It is stuffy, old fashioned and dull.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I was born roman-catholic. Why? Cause my mother is catholic. I personally don't practice. About being 'raised' religious, I was never raised religious despite my mom being hardcore catholic. I would associate myself as agnostic I guess.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Not religious. Atheist/agnostic/whatever.
Not really raised religious. Parents are mildly christian but extremely mild.
Never had any religion, never needed it and never believed in an invisible man in the sky.
Certainly don't need it now and it seems quite silly in more ways than one.
¯|(°_o)/¯
I was raised Catholic. Not the strictest kind of Catholicism, but church every Sunday, confession every month, Ash Wednesday, stuff like that. I'd been in religious education since elementary school. I started watching Bill Maher in 10th grade and from there became hardcore atheist. I was kicked out of my confirmation class towards the end of 10th grade for holding views that they didn't think were compatible with Catholicism (gay rights, abortion, birth control, etc...) I mean, I was in high school and had access to the internet and HBO. How was I not going to question my religion? My family sort of gave up being religious after that. It was mostly my mom who cared, anyway; my dad was not raised religious at all and never went to church with us. Fast forward a few years and I found myself struggling with severe depression. I ended up in the hospital for about a week and while I was there a very kind nun gave me a rosary. I found that it gave me great comfort and to this day I still say my prayers every night and usually fall asleep having a mental conversation with a God that I'm not 100% sure exists. I'm not really the type to have faith. I hope God exists, but I'm not sure and never will be. I don't go to Church but if praying makes me feel better, then hey, I'm gonna do it without being ashamed.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Quote by Zox
Not religious. Atheist/agnostic/whatever.
Not really raised religious. Parents are mildly christian but extremely mild.
Never had any religion, never needed it and never believed in an invisible man in the sky.
Certainly don't need it now and it seems quite silly in more ways than one.

banned
Quote by GuitarGod_92
agnostic i think

whichever is the one where you're certain that there is no God or afterlife but at the same time if you die and it turns out you're wrong after all, you're pretty glad about it

like, i really want to be able to believe there is an afterlife so i dont have to deal with that horrible "never having another sentient thought for eternity" thing, but i just know that there isnt an afterlife and it ****ing sux

Atheist is you don't believe there is an afterlife/god. Agnostic is you believe there is no way to ever know for sure.

You are a regretful atheist
Raised Catholic. On again, off again. Spent like a year or so getting really into Catholicism. Pretty consistently atheist since 2009.

The reason why is a very boring, theological one dealing with Church history and papal bulls. That's what started it anyway. And once I started doubting the finer details, I began to step back and look at even the most basic doctrines like hypostatic union, virgin birth and the resurrection. Then you kinda wonder how you ever believed any of that in the first place, or if you ever really believed any of it.
#DTWD
Raised Lutheran, now Atheist. I used to care a lot more about it, but I'm mostly apathetic about religion these days in most cases that don't involve people killing others in the name of it.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
whichever the one is that you believe there is "something" but are not sure what, and you don't care either.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Was raised Christian. Was never really into it, then started to identify as atheist when I was like 14-15. Kind of identify with Taoism now though, but more philosophically than religiously.
¯\_()_/¯
Quote by deadsmileyface
(Invalid img)

It's the truth though. I used to be quite fedora when i first read dawkins and hitchens but that was like 8 years ago.
I've mellowed out quite a bit since then.
¯|(°_o)/¯
For a while there religion bashing seemed pretty in vogue. I went to a NY state university and there were religious and atheist clubs there, but the atheist ones were really condescending and quite frankly rude with their advertising compared to the religious clubs.
Quote by Kensai
Forget about her, she seems complicated. Who wants a girl who answers in riddles? I'm not the fucking sfinx.

Quote by Rambo-Conny
Woah, woah. Back the hell up.

Polo shirt?

Sunglasses?

Of course he got all the girls, he's Rick Astley.
Not religious but not atheist.
More of an apathetic agnostic I guess.

I don't know if there is a God or not, but meh.
I guess i'll find out if I eventually die and find myself simmering in a pool of lava forever.
Never think about religion at all tbh lol
Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
whichever the one is that you believe there is "something" but are not sure what, and you don't care either.

It's crazy because I actually saw a term for this the other day and had no idea it existed. Apatheism is not caring one way or the other. But there was one that started with an "i" that meant belief in some vague something.
#DTWD
atheist

not sure if parents are atheist or agnostic but they hate the rc church with a passion. they seem to be fine or at least neutral to european protestants and other religions. i was never told that there is or isn't a god but the only way i'd find myself doing any religious activity was if i'd specifically tell my parents that i want to and that never happened

all of my god related questions were met with an 'i dont know' but once i was old enough to start asking questions about politics they didn't sugarcoat their opinions about the church, tho they always made it clear that there's nothing wrong with believing in a god

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Raised Baptist,

Atheist now. Stopped believing in god around the same time I stopped believing in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, etc.

There is nothing compelling or convincing to make me believe in any religion. If there was, I would be an adherent of that religion.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Feb 25, 2015,
There's no way to say this without sounding like an edgy memelord, so I'm just gonna go ahead and sound like an edgy memelord.

I've met a few people who were very committed to their respective religions. They even said they don't believe in God, they know he exists. It amazes me that they can be so certain. What makes intelligent, rational people believe in God? They can think critically about any subject, but when it comes to religion, they choose to believe something that defies logic and has no supporting evidence. Not only do they base their entire lives around this belief, but they encourage others to do the same. I just don't get it, mang.

Pls educate me
I was baptized and all that jazz, but not really raised catholic. My parents are/were technically both catholic, but they never went to church or anything.

Over the past few years I think my dad has become more of a non-believer than he was before, but mainly because he's interested in all the different ways people look at this stuff and he wants to keep an open mind about everything.

My mom has told me that she's not really sure, but that she really wants to believe in something. The thought of there being nothing or of life not having some specific meaning is really scary to her, and I very much respect that she tries to find a way to deal with that fear.

I myself am not religious, and I guess you could call me an atheist. However, I've accepted that I'm never going to be sure about anything and I think all we do is just perceive and
react.

I do very much enjoy reading about all the different view points about this stuff, and so far the school of thought I think best describes what I feel is absurdism.
Quote by GuitarGod_92
agnostic i think

You're always complaining about your current life, why would you want another one

Raised Catholic, now atheist or agnostic, I don't think about it anyway.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
i just watched Bill Burr's new Netflix special and the part about religion was great and totally un-pretentious.

that's all i have to add.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Edit: tucked the whole rambling mess into a spoiler tab. Thanks for the suggestion, EpiExplorer. I'm fairly new to these forums and and have a nasty habit for unleashing the occasional wall o' text. Continue if you're REALLY interested in my craziness.

Parents are non-denominational Christian (they have intermittently attended churches of the Assembly of God, Baptist, Nazarene, et cetera variety). It was never thrust upon me, thankfully. Maternal grandfather was a rather staunch Christian who warned me, at age 9, of the dangers of Dungeons and Dragons. Aunt also a rather staunch Christian who warned me, at age 10 of the dangers of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

In my late teens I dated a girl who had been Mormon, and whose mother was excommunicated by the LDS church for renouncing them and divorcing her husband. She made a fine attempt to convert me, as at that point I was ranging toward agnosticism. It almost worked. Then I found out she was cheating on me with her youth pastor. First loves will crush you like nothing else, I suppose.

I had always found science fascinating, astronomy and geology, and the claims of modern religion had always seemed to be at odds with the teachings of science. I also loved the history of early civilizations...history which also undermines the teachings of modern western religion. Christianity would teach us every one of those belief systems and mythologies were lies. As I got older I began to lean heavily into agnosticism as I was not prepared to declare there could be no great purpose. I was prepared to say we could never know whether a supreme being or afterlife existed as long as we lived, however, and was comfortable with that for many years.

These days I have adopted an atheist bent. I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma a few years ago, and it is a battle I'm regrettably losing. My mortality has been held directly in my face, particularly in the last few months. Many people turn to religion in such times, but I have turned in the opposite direction. Many other things have contributed to this: my own life experiences and personal tragedies, suffering of people the world over, the religio-political situation in the US (which just sickens me). I cannot believe in this God. I cannot believe that there is a "plan." I cannot make myself trust a book compiled millennia ago by people who did not know where the sun went at night.

I feel religion was created for one purpose: to explain was we did not understand. It still exists for one reason: people are afraid. They are afraid to die. They are afraid to live. They are afraid to make their own decisions and be held accountable for them. I will not be afraid.

I hold the universe in great wonder. I don't believe it is within the capacity of the human mind to ever understand or explain it. I don't know where it came from and I don't believe humanity will ever find that answer. But even if it was the most random happenstance....if life, by chance, evolved from two molecules bumping into each other...isn't that the most amazing, wondrous miracle that you could ever imagine? Why is that less believable, less profound, than the idea that it was all constructed in a week by an invisible man who lives in the sky?

In the time I have left, I will marvel at the wonder of the universe. I will curse my genetic misfortune. I will consider my actions in the context that only I can be accountable for them and there will be no cosmic forgiveness if I choose to hurt or wrong someone. I will remember that, when I'm gone, I will only be remembered for how I acted while I was alive.

It is difficult for humans to understand oblivion. We are creatures of sensory input. Sound and color and touch and taste...understanding nothingness is beyond us. But I have been under anesthesia a number of times, and I imagine dying will be much like that: you close your eyes one last time and the world slips away. I am not afraid of that. I believe it was Epicurus who said something along the lines of, "Why should I fear Death? When I am, Death is not. When Death is, I am not. How can I fear something that only exists when I do not?"

My loved ones are few and precious, and I know I will live on for many years through them.
Dude, I play bass. I don't get paid for anything past the 4th fret.
Last edited by luciferiad at Feb 25, 2015,
Quote by ErikLensherr
You're always complaining about your current life, why would you want another one

because maybe it will be better?

reincarnation would be ideal.
but i'd just get stuck as a worm or something so either way im doomed to misery
Quote by sashki
There's no way to say this without sounding like an edgy memelord, so I'm just gonna go ahead and sound like an edgy memelord.

I've met a few people who were very committed to their respective religions. They even said they don't believe in God, they know he exists. It amazes me that they can be so certain. What makes intelligent, rational people believe in God? They can think critically about any subject, but when it comes to religion, they choose to believe something that defies logic and has no supporting evidence. Not only do they base their entire lives around this belief, but they encourage others to do the same. I just don't get it, mang.

Pls educate me

I have posed the question "Why do you believe in God, what makes it real for you?" to many Christians and I don't remember any of their answers, but I remember coming away from the discussion admiring them and understanding why they believe all of that. So if you ask somebody who is a legitimate believer, they can probably articulate their reasons for believing well. It usually involves personal reasons or experiences, understandably so.
Quote by bradulator
What religion are you? Why are you that religion? If you aren't religious, why is that? Were you raised religious but lost religion at some point? What cause you to lose religion? What religions have you experienced in your life and do you think they had any positive/negative effects on you?

Just wondering.

Long-ass tl;dr

I'm non-religious/atheist.

I basically had no concept of what the point of church was, and then an Anglican priest became our RE teacher (in a catholic school, the hilarity of it all) and said 'Its never a bad idea to question things' in different variations of that concept for like, 3 lessons before he was fired.

I guess I'm technically raised irish catholic, thats what my dad would like to think, although my mum's some ridiculous offshoot of baptist.. entirely because 'catholic services are really boring'.

I stopped believing somewhere between 14 and 15. I couldn't pinpoint where, but eventually, you get through secondary school having gone through a very standard and entirely honest science GCSE program (no lie) with an A and RE with an E, and you're not left with a lot of room for interpretation. Basically, I found most of the answers in textbooks to questions that religion couldn't answer.

I don't think I ever truly believed either: church was just 'a thing' that happened every sunday morning and there was a separate area for young kids upstairs and all we did was talk about farts.

I have atheist friends, protestant friends, deist friends, muslim friends of various levels of belief, one or two hindu friends, a buddhist and someone who tried being a zoroastrian but gave up on it cuz it was too insane. They're all nice people, and usually religion never comes up, although the muslim friends get extremely touchy when the topic is brought up.

However, my parents still seem to want to believe that I'm religious too (unfortunately for them, they haven't decided if I'm supposed to be catholic or baptist), despite the fact that the first time I said 'I don't believe in the supernatural, including god and jeebus' was about 5 years ago in a very non-hostile environment.

This also highlights the weird parallel that I am in my family: pretty much everyone votes conservative whereas I'm closer to labour, they exhibit various degrees of racist (from badly constructed, misinformed racism to outright UKIP voting) whereas I'm of the 'live and let live' mentality to most things and I'm the only one save from a few cousins who has a university degree (not an especially strong degree, but a degree none-the-less).

I don't think there's any 'negative' effects from having no religion, except that its an excuse for family members to start arguments after they've been listening to their (appalling) christian pop radio stations.

Give it a try some time.
o()o

Quote by JamSessionFreak
yes every night of my entire life i go to bed crying because i wasnt born american
What religion are you?
None
If you aren't religious, why is that?
"Insert countless negative options here"
Were you raised religious but lost religion at some point?
Was raised Catholic
What cause you to lose religion?
See immediately previous answer
What religions have you experienced in your life and do you think they had any positive/negative effects on you?
I have known people from a variety of religions. The only positive effect any religious person has had on me was a Jehovah's Witness, who saved my life.
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Quote by bradulator

Just wondering.

1. Irreligious, atheist, atheist-leaning-agnostic, secular humanist (more of a viewpoint than a belief system to me but w/e) could all be accurate terms to describe me.

2. (responding to three questions at once): I was not raised actively religious. My mom has some Christian beliefs (was somewhat raised Southern Baptist I think) but is not an active participant in any church. My dad is some sort of deist (he has really weird non-deist like beliefs though. Like he thinks you get reincarnated three times before being finally judged or something), thinks that Christians are entitled to special privileges in America, and hates atheists lol. Even though my dad sometimes tried to get me to hang out at Protestant churches or w/e (stupid since I was legitimately ostracised by them when living in Utah for not following their faith) I never identified with a religion myself.

As for why I'm an atheist, it's not some 2edgy thing like most would assume. After looking into religion giving all these perspectives real thought, and just thinking about what I know to be true (by 'know' I don't mean 'this is objective fact'), that is what I believe. I feel like atheism is actually compatible with religion and other belief systems. If you look as all these different 'groups' as just people searching for the truth and developing their own interpretations of it there's no reason for any conflict or tension or anything.

3. Never really experienced religion in the sense that I was a part of it. As for my 'cross belief system relations': A majority of the Mormons in Salt Lake were shit to me because they were 80% of the population in my neighbourhood, there was a church on every block (not exaggerating), etc. so that kind of creates a mob mentality where it's okay to look down on everyone else. Of course not all of them, and now that I don't live in Mormon land I have no issues with any I currently know. I hung out with a lot of Catholics and Muslims during this time and they were always good to me. If they weren't it wasn't 'cause I was an atheist. Also was around other atheists a lot and usually got along though I disagree with some of their viewpoints.

/long ass post lol

I'm in a 'God, mind, and matter' class right now and it's not at all what I was expecting lol. The description said it was a metaphysics class, but it's basically a class where Christians just talk about their lives, not really an actual class for the purpose of education. That is fine but rather than learning this all as a perspective it's being taught as objective fact. The reading I just had to do is hilarious and if I could scan it I'd upload it. Basically the entire message of this paper is "atheism is solely the cause of egotism. Anyone who is humble knows that God is real, death is an illusion, etc. Also everything you do is predetermined before birth." Kind of dumb how I've always been open to other people's beliefs and I'm being called an egomaniac by a 'humble author' who is preaching all his belief's as objective fact lmao.
Parents never brainwashed me. When I went to school aged 5 and heard about religion for the first time I was old enough to think for myself. Hence I escaped it.
Quote by AllJudasPriest
The only positive effect any religious person has had on me was a Jehovah's Witness, who saved my life.

Said no one who needed a blood transfusion ever.
#DTWD