This guitar is a few years old, think they make 24 fret models now. Anyway, I like the feel and playability of this guitar, but its tone seems kind of piercing sometimes. In addition, when I use high gain pedals it has a shrill screeching noise. I am wondering if maybe I should change the pickups or what the problem is?
Thanks
Raconteurs Fan Guy
check all of the wire connections.
It could be a bad pot
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What amp are you using?

Does the noise happen all the time, or intermittently?

Is the fretted note shrill, or does it sound like feedback?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I suspect a microphonic pickup. I had to pot one in a Telecaster copy a while back, I couldn't even play the thing at high volume with no effects, turn on the overdrive and it squealed like mad. Sounded a lot like what you're describing. Add some volume and it tries to feedback too much, give it an overdrive pedal and it screams and howls at you. Sometimes it even gets so bad you can talk into the pickup and it acts like a mic.

Here's an example, mine was more of a midrange howl but very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5pAn055Ezs

Needs to be potted. That means melt some wax, dip the pickup in it, let it cool, clean it off and reinstall. I use a small fondue pot, looks like a miniature crock pot, and the Gulfwax canning wax available at grocery stores, used years ago to seal the top of canned goods before the modern technique of letting heat seal a rubber lid ring.

Read this

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/electrical/index.php
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Feb 25, 2015,
I changed the pickups on my 2006 SE custom 22 to a Duncan distortion in the bridge and a dimebucker in the neck .

I've also had to change the insert jack and I'm over due to change it again.

If you get all other high quality pieces like your cables and pickups and proper grounding the noise becomes quite controllable.
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Panasonic3
I changed the pickups on my 2006 SE custom 22 to a Duncan distortion in the bridge and a dimebucker in the neck .

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by Panasonic3

I've also had to change the insert jack and I'm over due to change it again.

If you get all other high quality pieces like your cables and pickups and proper grounding the noise becomes quite controllable.

a Dimebucker in the neck. never heard of anyone doing that before. dying to know what posseessed you to?
Yeah I don't think I would put a Dimebucker in the neck. I was thinking about trying something else in the bridge though, maybe a Pearly Gates humbucker. Anyway I think Paleo Pete knows what I am talking about, sounds the same.
Raconteurs Fan Guy