hi folks
Looking for some pointers on recording either at home or at gigs.

Im looking for software (free hopefully) that will allow me to merge separately taken audio back to video

essentially I want to
(a) record video with a canon DSLR
(b) record audio with a Rode K2 condenser mic (in front of the stage to catch a live gig) as opposed to singing directly into the mic and taking guitar from pick up
(c) process the audio and then merge to video using a visual line up of both soundwaves (camera audio recording and condenser recording) and then mute or remove camera audio

not looking to shoot a professional music video, just a decent quality home video (decent sound) I can share with my family who live in far far away land

Thanks
I should add Im not looking for advanced audio editing, I have StudioOne2 and a Presonus interface to do that.
Start by clapping your hands so both tracks have an audio spike. Then move both to video editing software and sync them using the spikes. Once you have good sync, mute the lofi camera mic recording and print the hifi audio recording onto the video track. Done! Lots of youtube tutorials about this using different editing software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aeuy6MrbHY
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
thanks, the clap is a useful tip, the merging technique is what I had in mind

I was actually looking for suitable software to do it with (windows based) as Windows Movie Maker doesnt seem to show the soundwaves... or else i just dont know how to use it.

Ill have a look at ScreenFlow that he mentions in that video
that link I gave is not a freeware program, it is a trial version & will have a watermark on video
so still on the look out for a freeware if anyone knows of one

I still havent looked at screenflow, as the user in the video mentioned there is a small bug in the alignment, which id prefer to avoid
I use Sony Vegas 10 which I have had for a few years. It is a little complex but does the job just as described above. I got an unopened copy of version 10 HD on Amazon when version 11 came out and only paid $39.00 for it. Now they are up to version 13 so you can get version 11 new for $33.00.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Do a search for windows editing software and see what others are using. I run on a Mac so not much help.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by GStringBroke

so still on the look out for a freeware if anyone knows of one

you can use videopad , it's free and shows audio waveform too
yep trying VideoPad (NCH software) as we speak... it is freeware for private use so it should be watermark free... will find out in 6 minutes
NCH VideoPad again is not freeware.. despite saying its free for private use it locks out ability to make videos after 3 uses