My band recently got a gig playing a "country dance" the only problem is we don't play country. I know it would be best to just find another gig but they it will only be our second and we kind of need the exposure and experience. So any suggestions on country songs that people can dance to?
Bad idea. Booking a gig in a club that normally features the usual "dance bands" playing a mixture of rock, blues, country and so forth when you only have a few country tunes is not all that uncommon. I've done it, throw in a few Eagles tunes and so forth, you can get by with it.

Booking a country dance when you play no country is not a good idea, bad exposure because you sucked can cost you future gigs.

I can only think of a couple. we play mostly classic rock, a few country tunes, some Eagles and America, not much outright country. Thing is, people know that before they book us.

Bluest Eyes in Texas
The Chair
One in a Million
Stars on the Water
Don't Close Your Eyes

Those are the only ones we do, and that's barely enough to get your first set started...we sprinkle them around through the night, it works, but nobody expects us to do a lot of country and we're gradually building a reputation as a rock band, so it's working so far...but we don't book country dances, we know we can't handle it.

To do a 4 hour gig you need around 40 to 45 songs. That's 5...you can get by with a half dozen Eagles tunes...

Take it Easy
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Lying Eyes
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise
I Can't tell you why

You can also try Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, it's not country but they won't be to worried about that, they'll be polishing belt buckles...

Other songs by rock bands that might work ok

Heart of the Night - Poco
Crazy Love - Poco
Magnolia - JJ Cale/Poco
and strangely enough Ramblin Man, by Allman Brothers might just work, it's pretty well known in country venues. Lots of slow songs, a little under half probably, they like polishing those belt buckles. Listen to some country radio stations for a few days. A few Jimmy Buffet tunes work too, Margaritaville (we refuse to play it, sick of that one) Son of a Son of a Sailor, Come Monday is loads of chord changes but good if you can put it together.

Good luck, you'll need it. My honest opinion, mistake to book a country dance when you know no country especially starting out. If you were an established band and could say you have a following, maybe...but getting a start by bombing at a venue where you don't belong is just a bad idea.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I'm with PaleoPete on this one. Don't take gigs where you are the 'wrong' band. In the end it is demoralising, even covers bands need to play with conviction and need to seek out an audience that will love what they do.
Quote by Paleo Pete
Bad idea. Booking a gig in a club that normally features the usual "dance bands" playing a mixture of rock, blues, country and so forth when you only have a few country tunes is not all that uncommon. I've done it, throw in a few Eagles tunes and so forth, you can get by with it.

Booking a country dance when you play no country is not a good idea, bad exposure because you sucked can cost you future gigs.

I can only think of a couple. we play mostly classic rock, a few country tunes, some Eagles and America, not much outright country. Thing is, people know that before they book us.

Bluest Eyes in Texas
The Chair
One in a Million
Stars on the Water
Don't Close Your Eyes

Those are the only ones we do, and that's barely enough to get your first set started...we sprinkle them around through the night, it works, but nobody expects us to do a lot of country and we're gradually building a reputation as a rock band, so it's working so far...but we don't book country dances, we know we can't handle it.

To do a 4 hour gig you need around 40 to 45 songs. That's 5...you can get by with a half dozen Eagles tunes...

Take it Easy
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Lying Eyes
Already Gone
Tequila Sunrise
I Can't tell you why

You can also try Clapton's Wonderful Tonight, it's not country but they won't be to worried about that, they'll be polishing belt buckles...

Other songs by rock bands that might work ok

Heart of the Night - Poco
Crazy Love - Poco
Magnolia - JJ Cale/Poco
and strangely enough Ramblin Man, by Allman Brothers might just work, it's pretty well known in country venues. Lots of slow songs, a little under half probably, they like polishing those belt buckles. Listen to some country radio stations for a few days. A few Jimmy Buffet tunes work too, Margaritaville (we refuse to play it, sick of that one) Son of a Son of a Sailor, Come Monday is loads of chord changes but good if you can put it together.

Good luck, you'll need it. My honest opinion, mistake to book a country dance when you know no country especially starting out. If you were an established band and could say you have a following, maybe...but getting a start by bombing at a venue where you don't belong is just a bad idea.

yeah your right its a bad idea but honestly we're still in high school so none of us really care about being embarrassed and sucking because we'll all be gone next year, we're just doing shows because its fun and if they hate us whatever.
anyway thanks for the suggestions we were already planning on doing wonderful tonight and take it easy and the manager just told me that we actually need to mix in more pop because there are going to be a lot of high schoolers there, i guess i got it mixed up and country was just the theme of the dance not like the type of music. plus it turns out our singer is super into country-pop stuff like taylor swift, which is super weird but whatever it helps us now.
Last edited by tmaxb at Feb 27, 2015,
Do some Johnny Cash - Ring of fire and go right into "On the road again" Like a medley of those two tunes.