Hello, does anyone know how to reduce noise when recording into a DAW? I am currently using Guitar Rig Session into a bass guitar and I noticed I am getting a lot of hiss at around the 5k range:

(Invalid img)

The noise is constant even if nothing is plugged into the card. Are there any common ways of reducing noise?

Sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum, I didn't really know where else to post it!

[EDIT]

I am aware that I can use a Gate or EQ the noise away however I would prefer if it was possible to remove the noise alltogether.
Last edited by bergice at Feb 26, 2015,
Best way to deal with it is using a noise gate.
Or a denoiser/noise suppressor if your DAW has one.

The noise seems a lot though, are you sure your cable and bass electronics are alright?
I'd try them with an amp and see if the noise is still there.

Also you may be keeping your input gain too high - try lowering it and see if the bass signal is still clear, 'cause you may be clipping something there with the gain so high.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Do you have a DI box? If you don't, check out that you are using the instrument input NOT the line input. Not sure if the same applies to DI'ed signals. Try a different cable, get as far as you can from other electronic devices or anything that might be emitting a strong enough magnetic field. Check out if it's your monitors/heaphones by using different ones. When you say card? You mean your pc or your external one? Could be a problem in your pc too, though i'm not sure how to fix that. That image is when something was playing or the noise alone?
Quote by chookiecookie
Go penis them

hard
you need to isolate the source of the noise, i'd try different equipment at different parts of the chain to isolate the component that is causing the noise. once isolated it should be pretty straight forward how to deal with the issue.

the mere fact that it is not 60 cycle or 120 cycle hum seems to be odd.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
DI box is essential for guitar rig, would help with the hiss, if not use a noise gate in the DAW or if you have one, a pedal suppressor like the Boss NS-2
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by 'DC fan
DI box is essential for guitar rig, would help with the hiss
No to both.

The purpose of DI boxes is double - they bring high impedance signals down to line level, and balance the resulting line signal so it can be send through a long cable without picking up much noise.

That interface though has hi-z inputs and a cheap DI box would degrade the sound without bringing any advantage to the table.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
What about your bass being plugged in direct with no fx, is it still noisy?
I am trying to figure out if it is the amp patch that you're using or the bass itself.
You can probably try moving around the bass eq and see if it does anything, try different pickup.
As far as the amp patch - maybe you're using something with distortion and it is adding some noise. In that case - noise gate or get rid of the distortion.

How does it sound in the final product?
Quote by Spambot_2
No to both.

The purpose of DI boxes is double - they bring high impedance signals down to line level, and balance the resulting line signal so it can be send through a long cable without picking up much noise.

That interface though has hi-z inputs and a cheap DI box would degrade the sound without bringing any advantage to the table.

I use guitar rig a most of the time I'm in college, without a DI box the signal clips like a mother****er, you are right in the purpose of a DI box, but it is needed in my experience with Guitar Rig and amp sims
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Dressing my steak with cum is just adding more protein to my steak.

Quote by Roc8995
The Hello Kitty Strat is the most metal guitar known to man.
Quote by 'DC fan
I use guitar rig a most of the time I'm in college, without a DI box the signal clips like a mother****er
That's because the interface you're using after the DI box isn't designed to take instrument signals.

It's not a problem of every interface though.
It's a problem of very few interfaces nowadays actually.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2

The noise seems a lot though, are you sure your cable and bass electronics are alright?
I'd try them with an amp and see if the noise is still there.

I use a basic 1/4 jack as a connection directly from the instrument to Guitar Rig. I also tried using the XLR input with the same results. The noise is there even if nothing is plugged in though, which is kind of weird.

I also get noise if I route the instrument through an amp first and then to Guitar Rig.

I am starting to wonder if it could be the USB connection, or something about the power supply causing the noise as the instrument doesn't seem to be the source of the problem. I read that different power supplies could cause unwanted noise but I don't know too much about that.

I am going to look into a DI box in the future though, thanks for the recommendation.
Quote by bergice
The noise is there even if nothing is plugged in though, which is kind of weird.
If there's nothing connected to the interface (not even a cable unplugged on the other side) and there's still that kinda noise, your interface is broken.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by diabolical
From what I know Guitar rig can be used inside of a DAW or as standalone.
Which way are you using it?

I am using it as a VST in FL Studio or Ableton usually.