Hi All,

First post in a long long long time! I've got an Epiphone Acoustic from the 70's. Don't ask me which one, I'm not at home, but it's got a lovely sunburst finish. That's about as much as I can tell you right now. lol. I'm not guitar expert, just like to play at home. lol

Anyway, I've noticed it goes out of tune when I play it. If I tune the guitar and strum without any pressure on the body/neck it's perfecting in tune. However the moment I lean over the body to play the 'pressure' of me leaning on the body makes it go out of tune.

Is it due to my crappy style or playing (am I leaning on the body to heavy?) or is it something else?

Haven't put new strings on it for a while, but I've always noticed this issue new strings or not. Finally getting round to trying to do something about it! lol

Any help appreciated.
Ok so I've just looked online and it appears to be an Epiphone Ft-130.

Anyone know if this is common for them blah blah

Cheers
I had a FT 130 or 140 years ago, stolen in Austin I think FT 130. Have another one now still in need of re[airs, need to dig it out... (not a sunburst so I know it's not your guitar)

Anyway I loved it, great guitar. It has a bolt on neck, with a big wood block inside to bolt to. Check the screws on back and see if they are loose, that would let the neck move. Mine never gave me any trouble at all, I noticed it felt wiggly one day and had to tighten it. If the screws are loose in the holes, put match sticks in them with a dab of wood glue, replace the screws and let the glue set overnight before playing it. Loosen the strings to relieve neck tension before tightening the screws, then retune. Don't need to remove them entirely, just loosen until slack.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Feb 26, 2015,
Thanks, I'll have a look later when I get home It may be the screws - I did see them the other night, but didn't really want to 'mess around' with them, but heck, I haven't got much to lose at the moment as it's going out of tune slightly anyway! lol

Could it be anything to do with the body itself? I don't know much about the structural strength of guitars and how this is achieved, but could it be anything to do with internal bracing etc? I think I've heard the phrase somewhere! lol

Mines the FT-130SB by the way It is the Cabarello but the sunburst version.
I doubt internal bracing would cause trouble. Mine got dropped on the sidewalk one night and broke a couple loose, it buzzed like crazy soon as I picked it up. I had to glue them back in place, cost me 2 nights income, I never hand my guitar to anyone at a gig since then. If you wanna sit in, bring your own.

Body should be plenty strong, if the internal bracing was flaky you'd probably be hearing lots of buzz. Most likely the neck, if those bolts get loose, it can move, that affects tuning.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
I had a Deering banjo years ago with the same problem. The second I allowed the weight of my left hand to rest on the neck, the tuning went all to hell. Took it to a luthier friend who pointed out that the neck was REALLY thin and only bolted to one side of the rim.

With th weight of my hand and arm on the neck, the neck flexed backward and the neck angle at the attachment point also moved away from the plane of the head. Instance sharp tone!

My current Oscar Schmidt has a neck like a baseball bat and two truss rods that run across the rim to attach to the far side. No pitch problems at all.