So. Been playing out the same amp for 10 years. Line 6 spider 3 75w. Had some cash, saw a deal, jumped on it. New bugera 333 120w head. New for 250, musicians friend has some weird forward stock sale thing on em, wont ship till 3/21. My vocalist has a cab I can use. Thing is, a buddy of mine, upon hearing that I got it on order, he says "Nice, have fun buying new tubes!" ......Uhh. What? Much to my surprise I read that I'm supposed to replace them right outta the box. This is news to me. Is this fact or just audiophiles griping about stock tubes not sounding great?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga
Is this fact or just audiophiles griping about stock tubes not sounding great?
A consideration about terminology - a guitarist and an audiophile are among the two most different kinds of people I can imagine.

Though you def don't have to be an audiophile to know stock tubes in most guitar amps sound bad.

You see, bugera has a hell of a bad rep.
Their stuff sounds good for sure, but the reliability leaves much to be desired.
Did you get a 333 or a 333 infinium?
'cause the non infinium ones are older and were produced when QC sucked even more than today.

Your friend was likely making a reference to the unreliability of bugera amps.

Though tubes aren't the problem - while you may want to change them to better sounding tubes, you'll likely have all sorts of problems with it.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I don't think it's a reference to an issue with the stock tubes themselves. The amp has a reputation for blowing fuses and tubes and generally being pretty awful as far as reliability.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
If it doesn't work when you get it, just send it back. You may not have to immediately buy new tubes but it's good to have spares anyways. They aren't difficult to maintain.

Edit: To me, it seems like you're buddy isn't referencing anything but his own naivete.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Feb 26, 2015,
Since people have already highlighted the Bugera's apparent reliability issues...

It is wise to have a spare set of tubes in case one blows right before a performance (or during one). Just buy a set that will improve on your stock set (Tung Sols, Mullards, TAD), and use the stock set as spares (probably cheap tubes like JJ's or EHX, but not sure with Bugera).
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 26, 2015,
Yeah, it is the infinium. Long as I can get a year or two out of it ill be happy.

Edit: Was considering buying a set and keeping the stock tubes as backups, it just sounded for a minute there like the tubes were the source of potential failure which would defeat the purpose of keeping them as backups. Also, apologies for the obnoxious sig. Phones not givin me an option to change it
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Last edited by Ishiga at Feb 26, 2015,
I got a silvertone amp from 1967 where can I get tubes .hell it still works
Just google amplifier tubes. Big retail place, I think it was called thetubestore dot com, something like that. They've got a pretty good selection, offer matched pairs/sets, and they're cheaper than some of the other small sites I've been to. Don't know if their shipping rates are fair or if they ship outside of US.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Also. As I understand it, what tube goes into what socket makes a difference in your tone. Could anyone either elaborate or point me in the direction of a good in depth read explaining how I ought to figure this out? I'm only ordering one set, my wallets still crying lol. Want to make sure I know which tubes where if that's even possible. I realize ill need to hear it n play it and try different combos out to perfect my tone, but really I could shove toilet paper tubes in there and itd sound better than my 10 year old spider. I'll nail it over time, I'm just tryin to get as close as possible beforehand. Anyone know how exactly the tubes themselves and the ports effect tone?

Unrelated, spider sounds like ass but I gotta be fair. Things a decade old as of this past Christmas. I've dropped the sob, kicked it, cats used it as a scratching post, spilled shit all over it, and the kicker; left it in my truck bed through an unholy torrent of sudden and fxckin fierce rain, open back and face-down. There was a pool in it. Dried it out, waited a few days, fired right up; absolutely no change in sound or functionality. It never happened. Things mediocre but built like a goddamn tank.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by Will Lane
Since people have already highlighted the Bugera's apparent reliability issues...

It is wise to have a spare set of tubes in case one blows right before a performance (or during one). Just buy a set that will improve on your stock set (Tung Sols, Mullards, TAD), and use the stock set as spares (probably cheap tubes like JJ's or EHX, but not sure with Bugera).

Don't get too caught up on tube brands or claims of superiority. Brands like Tung Sol, Mullard, TAD and EHX don't make their own tubes any more. Those brand names are owned by one or two large companies (Sovtek owns the first two), but the tubes come from the same New Sensor plant in Russia. Brand names will occasionally buy from different plants depending on pricing, and you're unlikely to know what you're going to get until they come out of the box.

Great advice to have spares, however. One drop by an inattentive helper (or yourself) can shatter a lot of expensive glass all at once, and having enough spares to retube your gear at least twice over will prevent you standing out in the parking lot shrugging your shoulders and wondering who you can call to lend you an amp for the gig that starts in 15 minutes.
Quote by dspellman
standing out in the parking lot shrugging your shoulders and wondering who you can call to lend you an amp for the gig that starts in 15 minutes.

Been there, done that. Crate solid state head. Ten minutes to show time, moved it on stage with a kidney stone (supposed to take it easy but they just "forgot" captain oxy's rig) powers up, plug in, sound for three seconds and dead. Ran to my truck and mic'd my spider instead. Long night, I'd rather never do that again. Just glad I brought my old amp.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.