Alright guys and girls.
For the first time in 2 decades of playing, I actually have a pedal board with more than 2 pedals.
I'm trying to decide what else I need. Maybe a phaser? An octaver? I don't have a tone in mind, I'm experimenting. I definitely want to go with modulation effects here. Any suggestions?
Guess I may need to update my signature at some point.
Attachments:
IMAG0340.jpg
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
What I can see now: Wah, Tuner, Distortion, Plexi Sim, Chorus, Overdrive

You should get a better overdrive. The Soul Food is still a budget pedal but I bet it will sound better than the FAB OD. Place the OD before the Distortion. Put your Big Muff on the board too, or get the Micro Muff.

Next to get: Delay (Memory Man/Memory Toy), Reverb (Hall of Fame), Clean Boost (TC Mini Spark, Hotone Liftup)
The overdrive was a throwaway purchase. It was only 10 bucks, and doesn't sound horrible until you really turn up the drive, but I will check out the soul food.
The big muff is in my bass rig, it's going to stay there.
Totally forgot about delay!
Thanks for the tips!
IMO, most of the pedals on your board could do with being upgraded if you're going to be gigging. Joyo are good for cheap pedals, but I wouldn't want to be reliant on them in a band situation.

That said, if you don't know what you need next, there are two obvious answers:
  • You don't need anything. Save your money.
  • Get a multi effects unit that will cover everything & let you experiment. I have a Zoom G3 on my board, and it's an excellent pedal. The Line 6 M9 could also be worth investigating.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I usually end up playing my bass rig in gig and band situations.
Maybe that will change someday, but for now, this won't be leaving my studio so the build quality of the pedals isn't a huge deal. G3 is a cool idea. It will fit nicely up top, too.
Quote by GaryBillington
Get a multi effects unit that will cover everything & let you experiment. I have a Zoom G3 on my board, and it's an excellent pedal. The Line 6 M9 could also be worth investigating.
+1. I suggest the G3. This is probably your best option, since you are experimenting. It has live uses as well, as you can see c:
Somewhere between a MFX unit and single-purpose pedals are pedals that have 2-3 functions within a single housing. Some of them are quite nice.

http://visualsound.net/jekyll-hyde/

http://www.ehx.com/products/epitome
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by ryanbwags
G3 is a cool idea. It will fit nicely up top, too.

That's where mine sits

I started out with an old multi effects pedal, which I eventually upgraded to a Boss ME50. In time, that got upgraded to a huge board of separate pedals, which then evolved into the board I have now. The G3 replaced about a dozen separate pedals that only got occasional use. When gigging, the G3 is only really used for modulation & delay in my amp's loop, but at home it's one of the best headphone practice units I've come across.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
That's where mine sits

I started out with an old multi effects pedal, which I eventually upgraded to a Boss ME50. In time, that got upgraded to a huge board of separate pedals, which then evolved into the board I have now. The G3 replaced about a dozen separate pedals that only got occasional use. When gigging, the G3 is only really used for modulation & delay in my amp's loop, but at home it's one of the best headphone practice units I've come across.

Would you consider the delay and reverb of the G3 on par with the Line 6 POD HD, at least for the price? Is the G3 muddy with 5+ effects on? I'm thinking about getting a G3 to save some $$$... #hijacked

Edit: Oh hey you answered that question in a thread a while back... I think I'll make my own.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 26, 2015,
Thanks for all the tips. I have a bunch of old parts and a broken wah pedal on eBay. We'll see what they do and maybe I will get something new after that.
Quote by Will Lane
+1. I suggest the G3. This is probably your best option, since you are experimenting. It has live uses as well, as you can see c:

not to be an ass, but you just posted the comparison of that and an HD500, you don't have it as far as what you have said. you said you had a digitech.

i woudn't necessarily say to go with a MFX processor, but when i get some spare money, i am going to pick up a strymon mobius for modulation and a timeline for time based. not cheap, but i love how they sound. i played it through i guy at my church's rig. they are pretty awesome. and you still have presets.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Cathbard says the Alesis verb stuff is pretty decent. You can find the nanoverb super super cheap, and the quadraverb for pretty cheap too. They have lots of time and modulation effects to play with. It's kinda like a multi effect but only for time and modulation effects. Could be worth looking into for you.
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
If you wanna splurge a lil (as in $100-$180, used), I'd suggest a delay pedal with a looping function. I've owned both the TC Flashback X4 and the Line 6 DL4 (current), both have a looper (I prefer the DL4 for looping cause of the impressively clear overdubs), both have any delay you'll ever need, both sound great. If you wanna save some space on you pedalboard and don't want all the bells and whistles, the DL8 and Flashback both have a looper and multiple delays.

Also, the Xotic FX AC Booster sounds great with a Tweaker if you're looking for a light gain boost pedal.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Feb 27, 2015,
Quote by tas38
Cathbard says the Alesis verb stuff is pretty decent. You can find the nanoverb super super cheap, and the quadraverb for pretty cheap too. They have lots of time and modulation effects to play with. It's kinda like a multi effect but only for time and modulation effects. Could be worth looking into for you.

This may be it. I really only want the modulation effects as I think I have everything else pretty much under control.

Quote by lucky1978

Also, the Xotic FX AC Booster sounds great with a Tweaker if you're looking for a light gain boost pedal.

Exactly what I want, too. Dammit. Stupid pedal buying need. I'm sort of glad I didn't get deep into pedals when I started out all those years ago.
Last edited by ryanbwags at Feb 27, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not to be an ass, but you just posted the comparison of that and an HD500, you don't have it as far as what you have said. you said you had a digitech.

i woudn't necessarily say to go with a MFX processor, but when i get some spare money, i am going to pick up a strymon mobius for modulation and a timeline for time based. not cheap, but i love how they sound. i played it through i guy at my church's rig. they are pretty awesome. and you still have presets.
No worries. I've seen quite a few demos and read up enough on it to want it myself and to suggest it as a learning tool.