I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III and I like it but it is too much head room and I'm not that into the tone (its almost too bland).

I listed the amp for trade and I have several options. A Seymour Duncan Convertible 100 that I like because it has a built in power soak and uses a rectifier for sponginess, a Peavey delta blues, or a Carvin vintage 16. (I will be using it for gigging but It can be miced at most venues near me.)

I'm looking for clean sounds like on Limb by Limb by Phish and silky, almost Santana like leads. I really just like the sound of EL84 and 34.
Have you tried an OD pedal for color? Ever tried a Mustang or Jaguar? They'll sound snappy on any amp. The SD Convertible seems interesting, isn't it suppose to be modular or something?
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I'm at school for now so the only pedals I have are from a high end boss unit or the amp's OD. At home I have a nice OD I'd like to try. I feel like its the 12' speaker and maybe the 6l6s, previously I had a modded tube amp that had a 10' and it was super tight, brown sounds to (she died).

I use seymours that are tapped and I have a tele. The SD is modular, I think you might be able to get a nice Mesa sound from it but there is so little talk of them or clips. That's what worries me.
Bright single coil pups, compressor, OD. If you're up for it, look into solid states. Way cheaper and very easy for that sort of tone.

EDIT: Misread the OP. Look into Fender Twins. If I'm not mistaken, Santana used to use those. Compressor + OD + good pair of buckers.
~GEAR~

'93 Fender Duo Sonic Reissue

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12
Last edited by thief_of_fire at Feb 26, 2015,
Do you know any well known solid states? I know the RC60 and 120 and the micro cube. What about the microbrute III?
Quote by ToneMasterDelux
Do you know any well known solid states? I know the RC60 and 120 and the micro cube. What about the microbrute III?

you ain't getting creamy santana tones from a solid state amp so that isn't a route i'd go. i'd look into a used Mesa of some sort. something like a 5:50 would do the trick.
Acoustic amps have a solid resume and reputable catalog. Check out the list of musicians that have used Acoustic solid states.

I personally think my Acoustic is the best amp I've ever owned, and I've owned more than I can count.

however...

Quote by monwobobbo
you ain't getting creamy santana tones from a solid state amp so that isn't a route i'd go. i'd look into a used Mesa of some sort. something like a 5:50 would do the trick.

This is very true. You will need tubes for buttery smooth leads like Santana and co.
~GEAR~

'93 Fender Duo Sonic Reissue

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12
Last edited by thief_of_fire at Feb 26, 2015,
Quote by thief_of_fire
Acoustic amps have a solid resume and reputable catalog. Check out the list of musicians that have used Acoustic solid states.

I personally think my Acoustic is the best amp I've ever owned, and I've owned more than I can count.

however...

This is very true. You will need tubes for buttery smooth leads like Santana and co.

Isn't Acoustic just Guitar Center's store brand now? I tried one, it was ok, but I'm not so sure its the same company and standards as the older Acoustic amps.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
Isn't Acoustic just Guitar Center's store brand now? I tried one, it was ok, but I'm not so sure its the same company and standards as the older Acoustic amps.

not connected with GC past they sell them. by the same token not the same as the original company at all. if you look at pictures of the Doors for instance you'll see Acoustic amps as they were back in the day. not even close to what is made now. old acoustic amps had a cab that had a power amp built into them. the head then could be connected to several cabs to up the power and number of speakers used. the cabs also sported a horn for high frequencies.

back when i first started to play a small local music store carried them and i really wanted one as they looked so cool.
Hmmm, I'm confused. Santana and snappy tone don't belong in the same sentence IMO. I am a Santana fanboy and have been "doing it" live for a very long time. A good HRD with a TS9 in front for OD and grit and a little finesse with your volume and tone controls will take you there all day. If you sell it you may miss that amp a lot. Mesa would be the next logical step and many can be found for $600-$800 used.

The Seymore Duncan Modular amp was all foam and no beer. Icky and disappointing. A HRD is a lot better gig tool IMO and the RM100 is the goto modular amp with some balls at least according to some Punk rockers from OZ.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
from what you listed, i like the delta blues, especially the 1x15". it would have a lot more headroom though, but at least the OD channel is decent as opposed to the HRD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
from what you listed, i like the delta blues, especially the 1x15". it would have a lot more headroom though, but at least the OD channel is decent as opposed to the HRD.

What OD channel?? Oh those other knobs? I just removed them because they were useless, and ran the amp like any good Blackface Fender. Turn it up and use a TS9 for OD and crunch. Done this way it's nearly like owning a Twin at 1/3 the price.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
What OD channel?? Oh those other knobs? I just removed them because they were useless, and ran the amp like any good Blackface Fender. Turn it up and use a TS9 for OD and crunch. Done this way it's nearly like owning a Twin at 1/3 the price.

yea, a knob.. but its still better than an HRD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Somebody else that needs a Randall RM100. Stick a Loneclean and a Markus in it (both from salvation mods) and you'll have exactly what you need with room for a third module. It's a bit more expensive but it will get you where you want to go.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification