So I need to replace my RP-155 soon. It has served me well, but I have grown out of it. Or at least I think I have.

My main issue with the RP-155 is that it sounds kinda meh. It is somewhat muddy, stompbox simulations are just EQ's of the same simulation, only a 3-band EQ available, etc. And if I have an expression pedal hooked up (I use a piano on/off sustain pedal, 0 or 127), switching patches will mute my sound unless the pedal is at full. I use that pedal for octave-up whammy and glitch-like jumps.

I am putting the POD against the G3 because I'm trying to save money. I wouldn't really use the POD's amp sims (one of its bigger selling points) nor the G3's amp sims. I would just use these effects in different variables in different patches:

Compressor, EQ, Whammy, Noise Gate, Delay, Reverb (racking up that dsp yo)

I can go without the comp if the DSP would be too high.

So I have a few questions:

- Would the G3 be able to execute those effects better than the RP-155, and on par with the POD HD (or even relatively on-par compared to the selling price)? Would I run out of DSP too soon? I use copious amounts of delay and verb.

- Is it easy to change patches consistently without having to hold down buttons? I see that you hold down a peg to get to the patch change module, can I just stay on that module and switch through the patches when I want without having to hold down the peg?

- Would connecting an expression pedal (like how I use with the RP-155) mute my sound when switching patches unless I held the expression pedal down? Do I need to re-calibrate the expression pedal for the whammy each preset change, or anything hindering like that?

- Am I going to grow out of the G3 and just need to buy the POD anyway? I'm looking to move into professionalism, and I need quick presets with an excellent sound.

Thanks for your help c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 26, 2015,
Would it be helpful to additionally consider the Line 6 M-9 or M13 as alternates?
The G3 should do the job. The expression pedal position doesn't take effect until you move it. Patch switching does require to hold the footswitch to switch modes (or you can bend over and use the finger operated buttons). Same with getting all 6 windows, it requires you to use your hands to scroll. Patch switching and scrolling is a UI drawback.
Quote by fly135
The G3 should do the job. The expression pedal position doesn't take effect until you move it. Patch switching does require to hold the footswitch to switch modes (or you can bend over and use the finger operated buttons). Same with getting all 6 windows, it requires you to use your hands to scroll. Patch switching and scrolling is a UI drawback.
So during a live situation, I'm not able to quickly switch from one patch to another? I'm down with staying on the "Switch Patch" module screen (after depressing the left most peg) if I can just use the up/down pegs after. Does the switch patch module screen eventually turn off and I'm just with the current patch effects screen? I can hold down the peg for a bit, but I need the switch patch screen to stay up so I can switch live without having to hold down a peg every time I need another patch.

Quote by dspellman
Would it be helpful to additionally consider the Line 6 M-9 or M13 as alternates?
Not so much, but thanks. They are both much more expensive than the G3 (with the M13, I could just get the HD500).
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 26, 2015,
I thought the m5 was actually cheaper than the G3. As much as I love the G3, for live sound, I doubt its much of an upgrade over anything. I love it through headphones, its decent with a powered speaker, but rarely do I use mine with my amp.

Check out the Alesis Quadraverb, sure its a rack unit from the '80s, but they sell for dirt cheap ($60-$90ish), it'll do everything you listed with class and they sound incredible, very lush. I have mine just chilling behind my amp with light reverb and gate, always on. Despite its age and price, I'd bet it'll outperform the other options mentioned.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I use my G3 for gigging all the time, it works great for it.

Personally I prefer it over anything Line 6 do, they're pretty even on quality IMO but the Zoom just fits the way I work perfectly.

That said, it sounds like you're planning to use patches which is something I don't do, I'm only ever on individual effects when playing live, so take my opinion FWIW.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Will Lane
So during a live situation, I'm not able to quickly switch from one patch to another? I'm down with staying on the "Switch Patch" module screen (after depressing the left most peg) if I can just use the up/down pegs after. Does the switch patch module screen eventually turn off and I'm just with the current patch effects screen? I can hold down the peg for a bit, but I need the switch patch screen to stay up so I can switch live without having to hold down a peg every time I need another patch.
If you don't need to be switching individual fx on and off then you can stay in patch mode.
Quote by dspellman

that is what i was going to say.

however you lose the ability to go right into the mixer shall you decide to go amp-less.

IMO line 6 is on top as far as effects go.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Not considering the GT-100?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire